Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krispol

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
I hope they update iOS soon enough cause I paid 1500 for the last iPhone pro max and as I’m typing this the pop up appeared 5 times. My AirPods are not even connected. Makes me wanna return my iPhone.

I have all three generations of AirPods and same issue

revengeanceful

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2023
Registered an account just to add to the list of people experiencing this. For me it only happens when I put the AirPods in my ears, so not a major issue, but it is annoying! 3rd gen AirPods, on iOS 17.

legrosalo

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2023
@WilsonNM not only it’s a bug as a display but there is another bug that no one reported here.
This display always put back the mute as “one press” and the end call as “two presses”.
Everytime the display shows up this setting is reset.
You have to manually change everytime if you want end call to be a “one press”.

Chughes

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
I've got the same issue, with AirPod 3 and iPhone 13 Pro. Even if I go into the settings to change it to one-click to hang up, and 2 clicks to mute, it was reset the next time I put the AirPods away it seems.

beth1602

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2023
I’ve also had this problem! I never experienced it on my 12 Pro Max, and I got the 14 plus not long ago, and had no issues until I updated to iOS 17 and now it’s driving me nuts

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
@WilsonNM not only it’s a bug as a display but there is another bug that no one reported here.
This display always put back the mute as “one press” and the end call as “two presses”.
Everytime the display shows up this setting is reset.
You have to manually change everytime if you want end call to be a “one press”.
This. This drives me insane. Not only is the continual pop-up annoying, it resets my single press to hang up a call toggle. Kind of surprised this hasn’t been fixed yet since it’s been broken since day 1 iOS 17 release.

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
This. This drives me insane. Not only is the continual pop-up annoying, it resets my single press to hang up a call toggle. Kind of surprised this hasn’t been fixed yet since it’s been broken since day 1 iOS 17 release.

It’s the same for me too. I keep telling it I want to use a single press to end calls and it keeps setting it back to double press and giving me the stupid pop-up about it. I’d have thought they’d have fixed it by now! 😩

nick2k3

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
It’s the same for me too. I keep telling it I want to use a single press to end calls and it keeps setting it back to double press and giving me the stupid pop-up about it. I’d have thought they’d have fixed it by now! 😩
Here too, it is borderline infuriating!
[conspiracy mode]It's almost like this bug was introduced to wear us down and prepare us to the moment in which apple will unilaterally chose that from now on we will have to always double-tap for closing a call [/conspiracy mode]

Jokes apart, is really frustrating, and worst of all, when it resets, you accidentally close calls that you were just trying to mute!

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
Here too, it is borderline infuriating!
[conspiracy mode]It's almost like this bug was introduced to wear us down and prepare us to the moment in which apple will unilaterally chose that from now on we will have to always double-tap for closing a call [/conspiracy mode]

Jokes apart, is really frustrating, and worst of all, when it resets, you accidentally close calls that you were just trying to mute!

I thought the same conspiracy theory! 😅

I don't want to jinx it, but since yesterday's 17.2 update it seems to be fixed for me. It's still on one press to end calls and it hasn't tried to convince me otherwise yet. Fingers crossed this is fixed now. 🤞

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
It's only been a few days since I updated to 17.2, but the results are encouraging so far. :D I will report back if I see this bug again, but I'm hoping that I don't.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
Still happens to me, even after all the updates. The AirPods 3 have been the glitcheist AirPods yet for me. (I have other issues with them)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Still happens to me, even after all the updates. The AirPods 3 have been the glitcheist AirPods yet for me. (I have other issues with them)
Yeah, I find the AirPods are so hit and miss. Sometimes they connect first time when taking them out of the case, sometimes not. Sometimes I'll be speaking to someone, throw an AirPod in my ear, and I hear nothing from either in the AirPod or the phone, and then it's a panic to remove it and start over, or it takes many seconds to finally connect.

Apple has never gotten a single generation right when it comes to these. They're very good when they work, and overall they do work well, but that initial connection is such a bear at times.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
They're very good when they work, and overall they do work well...
That is the crux. These little things are mini miracles and still amaze me how it works, but when it doesn't it really doesn't. I have had all 3 generations (gen 2 are my fav). All that bien said with all the apple devices I have had, I have only used/been to apple support for the AirPods. All 3 generations requires at least two support visits, the 3rd gen is on 3 visits so far. All three gen's have been replaced under warranty once each. This subject of this thread I was told the usual reset and repair the AirPods then delete network settings, come back if it happens again.

I was really hoping 17.2 was the fix. Or another member here found a work around.

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
Yeah I’ve had the pop-up again and the AirPods have reverted to double-press to end calls. Apple must really want to force everyone to change to double-press.

WilsonNM

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2023
I was quite disappointed to discover it's still showing up. I don't understand how this bug has not been caught yet.

Is it only an issue with 3rd gen AirPods?

911jason

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2020
Simi Valley, California
Just another annoyed 3rd gen user adding to the record. I exclusively use them with my M2 iPad Pro 12.9 which has been on the beta version of 17 since it released, so I just chalked it up to that. Looks like that was incorrect.

tanstaafl

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
SEATTLE
Me too! Driving me bonkers. This model AirPods: A2564. And no, the update didn’t fix it. I had thought everyone had this issue. We all need to post feedback to Apple.

Thedocta94927

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
So I figured it out! Go to settings…accessibility…display text and size…then finally toggle the on/off labels switch to the off position! This has worked so far and when I reversed it the pop up came back…so annoying!

Attachments

• IMG_8810.png
    IMG_8810.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8811.png
    IMG_8811.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reactions: 911jason
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.