Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
The iPhone SE is not a working phone. None of them are. Why has there been no mass recall?
It starts with the camera. You open it, it freezes. So you close the app and relaunch it. Everything seems fine. But then it keeps happening, more so as time goes on. The camera app gets unusable. The flash light sometimes, not all the time but sometimes freezes the phone. Sometimes it says its on, but its not. Causing the phone to freeze for around 5 minutes or crash. Okay, not all phones are perfect. A few more months of toleration goes by and it just flat out crashes. The screen starts going in random colors like a PC when you take the ram out while it's running. It'll do it's thing for a sec and shut off. It'll turn back on just fine. You tolerate that for a few more months. Oh, forgot to mention if you put the phone down for 5 minutes, it'll shut off on its own. So you tolerate that for a few more months until one day it goes out in a bang. It's slow, laggy, apps stop opening, eventually it crashes and you can't do anything. Looks like it's time for a hard reboot. You reboot it, it works for 3 seconds. Turns back off and never boots up again about a year after purchase.
This has happened to 4 iPhone SE users I know (Friends) and myself. Meaning this has happened to 5 iPhone SEs. None were jailbroken and were all case kept. Keep in mind the issues varied between our phones but kept to the theme of the camera freezing, screen turning colors and just constant hard crashes. Don't buy the SE.
Now for the people who don't know about computers but think they do, before you comment, no, these are not fixable software issues. These issues are down to the hardware level. So don't say "Just restore or try iOS 10". That would do nothing but give me a broken but more slightly up to date phone. And no, it's not an LCD issue either. Here's a photo showing what I mean by the RAM crash. Imagine this but on an iPhone, and not taking up the entire screen
[doublepost=1505907412][/doublepost]Just to follow up, I'm pretty sure the problems with the iPhone SE lay in the Camera, and the solder on the RAM. Apple has a LONG track record of having terrible solder work on products (*VIGOROUS COUGH* 2007/2008 MacBook Pro and snow iBook G3 *cough*)
ALSO, not all phones are going to have this issue. Maybe only 5,000 in 100,000 of them are like this. But we as a consumer deserve to know if we possibly have a botched batch of iPhones and I just wanted to try and spread the word and see if I can find any others. So if your iPhone SE works great without an issue, nice. But that doesn't mean everyone has the same experience.

Attachments

• 9hv04i.jpg
    9hv04i.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
So if your iPhone SE works great without an issue, nice. But that doesn't mean everyone has the same experience.

By the same logic, this doesn't apply either

The iPhone SE is not a working phone. None of them are. Why has there been no mass recall?

If you have a faulty phone, take it back to Apple and get them to fix it - if there truly was a widespread problem, I think it would have been reported in the press so the more likely conclusion is there are some bad phones (or batches at worst), which wouldn't require a mass recall

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
By the same logic, this doesn't apply either

If you have a faulty phone, take it back to Apple and get them to fix it - if there truly was a widespread problem, I think it would have been reported in the press so the more likely conclusion is there are some bad phones (or batches at worst), which wouldn't require a mass recall
This has happened to 5 iPhone SEs. Apple has released many products that go bad and never said a thing about it. iBook G4's cook the plastic case around them, iBook G3s ALL have video cards that failed. Everyone knows this and Apple has never said a thing. So why wouldn't they about a bad batch of iPhones?

Faulty Apple products that Apple never said a thing about I can think of off my head:
iBook G3 (Cooks the GPU)
iBook G4 (Cooks the case, thus the signature iBook smell)
PowerMac G5 (Motherboards)
PowerMac G5 Liquid cool models (Leaks all over)
iMac G5 (Capacitors blow)
2006 iMac (Capacitors, LCDs, tmp sensors)

This right here is the last time, and only time I can think of, that Apple actually did something about a faulty product, the 2007/2008 MacBook Pro: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203254

[doublepost=1505910408][/doublepost]
Why have you dealt with this for a year? Get it replaced by Apple.
Because I can't afford it? I would have to go through T-Mobile and even though they sold me a broken phone, I would still have to pay it off and buy a new phone. I kinda got fked on that one. But in my defense, I figured a $600 Apple product would work and would only have issues if I did something to it. Guess I was naive, so I got no insurance on it. Not a scratch and it won't even boot. Like 5 other iPhone SEs I know of.

Last edited:

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
It starts with the camera. You open it, it freezes. So you close the app and relaunch it. Everything seems fine. But then it keeps happening, more so as time goes on. The camera app gets unusable. The flash light sometimes, not all the time but sometimes freezes the phone. Sometimes it says its on, but its not. Causing the phone to freeze for around 5 minutes or crash. Okay, not all phones are perfect. A few more months of toleration goes by and it just flat out crashes. The screen starts going in random colors like a PC when you take the ram out while it's running. It'll do it's thing for a sec and shut off. It'll turn back on just fine. You tolerate that for a few more months. Oh, forgot to mention if you put the phone down for 5 minutes, it'll shut off on its own. So you tolerate that for a few more months until one day it goes out in a bang. It's slow, laggy, apps stop opening, eventually it crashes and you can't do anything. Looks like it's time for a hard reboot. You reboot it, it works for 3 seconds. Turns back off and never boots up again about a year after purchase.
This has happened to 4 iPhone SE users I know (Friends) and myself. Meaning this has happened to 5 iPhone SEs. None were jailbroken and were all case kept. Keep in mind the issues varied between our phones but kept to the theme of the camera freezing, screen turning colors and just constant hard crashes. Don't buy the SE.
Now for the people who don't know about computers but think they do, before you comment, no, these are not fixable software issues. These issues are down to the hardware level. So don't say "Just restore or try iOS 10". That would do nothing but give me a broken but more slightly up to date phone. And no, it's not an LCD issue either. Here's a photo showing what I mean by the RAM crash. Imagine this but on an iPhone, and not taking up the entire screen
[doublepost=1505907412][/doublepost]Just to follow up, I'm pretty sure the problems with the iPhone SE lay in the Camera, and the solder on the RAM. Apple has a LONG track record of having terrible solder work on products (*VIGOROUS COUGH* 2007/2008 MacBook Pro and snow iBook G3 *cough*)
ALSO, not all phones are going to have this issue. Maybe only 5,000 in 100,000 of them are like this. But we as a consumer deserve to know if we possibly have a botched batch of iPhones and I just wanted to try and spread the word and see if I can find any others. So if your iPhone SE works great without an issue, nice. But that doesn't mean everyone has the same experience.

No issues with our iPhone SE. You have a defective. Get it replaced.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
My Mom has had her original iPhone SE on launch day and it has worked perfectly since day one without losing a beat.

Because I can't afford it? I would have to go through T-Mobile and even though they sold me a broken phone, I would still have to pay it off and buy a new phone. I kinda got fked on that one. But in my defense, I figured a $600 Apple product would work and would only have issues if I did something to it. Guess I was naive, so I got no insurance on it. Not a scratch and it won't even boot. Like 5 other iPhone SEs I know of.

Regardless of where you bought your phone from, you have a 1 year warranty with Apple. You can always contact them or visit a retail store to have it serviced/replaced.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
This has happened to 5 iPhone SEs. Apple has released many products that go bad and never said a thing about it. iBook G4's cook the plastic case around them, iBook G3s ALL have video cards that failed. Everyone knows this and Apple has never said a thing. So why wouldn't they about a bad batch of iPhones?

Faulty Apple products that Apple never said a thing about I can think of off my head:
iBook G3 (Cooks the GPU)
iBook G4 (Cooks the case, thus the signature iBook smell)
PowerMac G5 (Motherboards)
PowerMac G5 Liquid cool models (Leaks all over)
iMac G5 (Capacitors blow)
2006 iMac (Capacitors, LCDs, tmp sensors)

This right here is the last time, and only time I can think of, that Apple actually did something about a faulty product, the 2007/2008 MacBook Pro: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203254

[doublepost=1505910408][/doublepost]

You do know iPhones always have a 1 year warranty through Apple right? No need to deal with T-Mobile at all.

Reactions: rui no onna

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
All this whining and no mention of taking it in to Apple to have it fixed/replaced. Further compounded by ignorance of Apple's support policy or the general policy of almost everything on the planet having a one year manufacturer's warranty.

Should've taken it in to the Apple store (NOT T-mobile) when you had the chance, would've been fixed or replaced for free, no questions asked.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Regardless of where you bought your phone from, you have a 1 year warranty with Apple. You can always contact them or visit a retail store to have it serviced/replaced.
This phone worked for the most part that entire year and I felt I could deal with it because by the time it really started getting bad, I had literally everything on it. It didn't stop working until just after. I didn't return it earlier because I have no way to get all my data back off. This phone is synced to my MacBook which I haven't had access to in awhile because my charger blew up fixing a friends MacBook. PSA don't plug your only charger into a MacBook with a fried PSU, don't end well.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
All this whining and no mention of taking it in to Apple to have it fixed/replaced. Further compounded by ignorance of Apple's support policy or the general policy of almost everything on the planet having a one year manufacturer's warranty.

Should've taken it in to the Apple store (NOT T-mobile) when you had the chance, would've been fixed or replaced for free, no questions asked.
Apple geniuses are the biggest ass holes who think they are oh so high and mighty yet actually don't know a thing. Also, the nearest Apple Store to me is hours away. Apple doesn't fix products, they throw them away and give you a new one. I'm not about that. I'll fix it myself. And you can read my last post on why I didn't have it taken back. You may say "Apple could've gotten your data for you". Yah okay like I'm gonna let them get 64GB of the last year of my life.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
This phone worked for the most part that entire year and I felt I could deal with it because by the time it really started getting bad, I had literally everything on it. It didn't stop working until just after. I didn't return it earlier because I have no way to get all my data back off. This phone is synced to my MacBook which I haven't had access to in awhile because my charger blew up fixing a friends MacBook. PSA don't plug your only charger into a MacBook with a fried PSU, don't end well.

All I hear are excuses. You could have backed up to iCloud or another PC. Look, you didn’t take advantage of the warranty and had a faulty device. You were too lazy and instead are now going to complain here about it being a serious issue Apple needs to address. Next time just go get it replaced.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I'm trying to talk about why this happens, get to the route cause of these issues in the hardware. You know, and intelligent conversation.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Apple geniuses are the biggest ass holes who think they are oh so high and mighty yet actually don't know a thing. Also, the nearest Apple Store to me is hours away. Apple doesn't fix products, they throw them away and give you a new one. I'm not about that. I'll fix it myself. And you can read my last post on why I didn't have it taken back. You may say "Apple could've gotten your data for you". Yah okay like I'm gonna let them get 64GB of the last year of my life.

More excuses. Now geniuses are aholes who god forbid, replace your broken phone with a new one, why would anyone want that? Spare me the next environmental excuse because I'm sure that's where this is going. It's pretty clear you didn't even know you could get it replaced, so you're just making **** up at this point. I also have serious doubts you just happen to know 4 other people with the exact same catastrophic issues when there hasn't been a single post here about these kinds of issues on the SE, and on forums people love to complain.

Fix it yourself? lol, when? You had a year to do it and all you've managed to do is complain, so I don't think you're going to be fixing anything yourself either.

Also, what are you gonna do to get your data? Eventually you'll have to stop making excuses because:

A) Sounds like you refuse to get it replaced
B) You will never fix it yourself
C) You're not going to have the phone in 10, 20, 30 years so at some point it needs to get recycled/thrown out/burned/trashed/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
This happens because they made millions of these things and a bad one can slip through the cracks. If you’ve ever been into building PC’s you would know this. Years ago I had a monitor that would keep shutting itself off, so I sent it back and low and behold I got one that works. If this were such a huge issue you would see tons of threads about it.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I know I can get it replaced. I've been using to Apple products longer than a lot of people on here have been alive. And no, I'm not going environmental. I'm just not throwing away an entire phone when replacing a RAM chip for 7 cents would fix it. I'm trying to talk about hardware
[doublepost=1505912086][/doublepost]
If the phone is broken get it replaced. Nothing is perfect. That's what warranties are for.
You literally read nothing I posted
This happens because they made millions of these things and a bad one can slip through the cracks. If you’ve ever been into building PC’s you would know this. Years ago I had a monitor that would keep shutting itself off, so I sent it back and low and behold I got one that works. If this were such a huge issue you would see tons of threads about it.
Been building computers since 2007, actually.
[doublepost=1505912197][/doublepost]Also to clarify, again. I'm not complaining. I never wanted to return the phone. I knew I could. I didn't want to. That has absolutely ****ing nothing to do with this though. I've tried countless times to have conversations with people on this website, but oh so many of you just can't comprehend the most basic sentences.
[doublepost=1505912912][/doublepost]I'd bet no one here can tell me what 775 and 1150 mean and what the differences are.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
My fiancee SE has been fine and her 2 year contract is almost up.

The OP screen shot/photo would suggest GPU or video ram failure.
Agree that it is probably a chip worth only pennies that has died but some intricate tools will be needed to fix SMD components.
beyond most peoples means.

I can kinda of understand some of the OP frustration but also I personally would not have waited quite so long as issues tend to grow rather than fix them selves.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'm trying to talk about why this happens, get to the route cause of these issues in the hardware. You know, and intelligent conversation.
Hard to say specifically why your device was a dud, but hanging on to it and tolerating those problems isn’t what most people would do. The SE is widely known as being a rock solid phone. You just happened to get a dud, and the days of fixing your own phone are pretty much gone.

These are not known or common issues with the SE. I don’t understand what kind of conversation you want to have?

Reactions: imanidiot

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
More excuses. Now geniuses are aholes who god forbid, replace your broken phone with a new one, why would anyone want that? Spare me the next environmental excuse because I'm sure that's where this is going. It's pretty clear you didn't even know you could get it replaced, so you're just making **** up at this point. I also have serious doubts you just happen to know 4 other people with the exact same catastrophic issues
You didn't want to have any kind of technical talk, you wanted to trash the defective phone that you have done abso-****ing-lutely nothing to solve.
Yeah. I didn't repair iPhone 4/ 4s for the last 5 years. Yeah, I know the entire history of faulty Apple products and had no clue you could take them back if they were defective. Yeah, I don't have a friend with an iPhone SE that has the same camera problem mine did. Yeah, I don't have 3 friends with a mint condition iPhone SE that no longer boots after signs of a RAM failure. Golly me, I must be losing my mind

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Your killing my fallback option, was debating on getting a nice cheap iPhone SE as a hold-out phone until next year since it does support AR.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
These are not known or common issues with the SE. I don’t understand what kind of conversation you want to have?
Something other than hearing "Take it to an Apple store" or someone who really doesn't know anything about tech tell me I don't know anything. I literally wanted to talk about iPhone hardware issues. That was it. But oh I'm just bitchin and moanin is all.
[doublepost=1505913445][/doublepost]
Your killing my fallback option, was debating on getting a nice cheap iPhone SE as a hold-out phone until next year since it does support AR.
I'd imagine new SEs don't have this problem. Only a few of the first couple batches. If you get an SE that ships with iOS 10, you probably have nothing to worry about. Mine shipped with either the last version of iOS 8 or an early version of 9, I can't remember.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Something other than hearing "Take it to an Apple store" or someone who really doesn't know anything about tech tell me I don't know anything. I literally wanted to talk about iPhone hardware issues. That was it. But oh I'm just bitchin and moanin is all.
Did you have these issues happen within the first month of ownership? Seems like you might have just gotten a defective phone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.