Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
My thoughts so far...

1. It's fugly as ****. That enormous bezel is so not-apple it's shocking that they released it this way. It makes the device look like it was released in the early 90s. I know you need a little room for thumbs...but we're not all 450 lbs.

2. It's just a huge eff'ing iphone. Seriously? WTF have these kdisbeen working on for so long? They didn't even take the time to allow us to put more icons on the screen at once! Does this just look like the silliest thing in the world? I might as well rob an apple store and take that 4 foot iphone mockup they have. The UI blows....it was great for a cellphone, but not for a table. ESPECIALLY when you consider what it SHOULD LOOK LIKE: Video.

3. No camera. Not a backbreaker, but why not stick a 10mp camera and hd video recorder in here? Would be awesome to have a front facing camera for an ichat or skype app on the road. But that would require a reliable network to support the data strain, which brings me to #5.

4. Still on AT&T. Both ATT and apple have talked about the enormous strains the iphone has put on att's network. So now they're adding a data only device? Classic.

5. iPad name. Worst. Name. Ever.

6. No multitasking. I can't do two things at once...seriously? I can't listen to pandora and browse the web, read a book, or type a document? More proof that apple's focus is always on image over functionality. It makes no sense and they don't give a **** that customers have wanted it for years now.

7. No flash. Again. I'd assume apple's meetings go something like this: Steve: "Does it have a browser that pinches and zooms so that it looks cool?", Apple: "yes", Steve: "Okay, then skip the functionality part. We're going for window appeal...again. Now cut the budget there and use the rest of the money on extravagant stores and colorful t-shirts for our high school staff."

8. Keyboard. What crap. It's a laptop keyboard. It's completely unintuitive and unoriginal for what the ipad SHOULD'VE been designed for. There should be a keyboard that you can use while holding the ipad like a book and use your thumbs to type...it should be like arced letters on each side of the bottom part of the screen where your thumbs overlay...was that that hard to think of? I'm not alone in my thinking here...

So seriously think about it. The iPad is truly nothing more than an iPhone that's been stretched to 10" and stripped of its camera and phone call ability. There is no originality here that we didn't see years ago in the iPhone 1g.

Nowww....with all that said, will I buy one? Hell yes. Probably going to pickup the 32gb 3g/wifi version since you KNOW they are coming out with an ipad2 in a year and I can only hope that they'll address some of the issues....but then again, probably not. I want one simply for the fact that it'll be great to have something that compact to do email and internet around the house and on the go.

/insert flames below

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Nowww....with all that said, will I buy one? Hell yes. Probably going to pickup the 32gb 3g/wifi version since you KNOW they are coming out with an ipad2 in a year and I can only hope that they'll address some of the issues....but then again, probably not. I want one simply for the fact that it'll be great to have something that compact to do email and internet around the house and on the go.

/insert flames below

And that's why it will be successful - we love having laptops to drag around the house. Now we won't have to drag a laptop, we'll have this nice little thing we can prop on our laps to do email and surfing.

boxstboy

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2009
It's just another way for :apple: to make money.

Are you serious? I predict they will lose money big time on this atrocity.

I agree with everything the OP said, except for buying the thing.

I predict this will be on the Top 10 product flops one day, right above the Newton.

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
My thoughts so far...

1. It's fugly as ****. That enormous bezel is so not-apple it's shocking that they released it this way. It makes the device look like it was released in the early 90s. I know you need a little room for thumbs...but we're not all 450 lbs.

2. It's just a huge eff'ing iphone. Seriously? WTF have these kdisbeen working on for so long? They didn't even take the time to allow us to put more icons on the screen at once! Does this just look like the silliest thing in the world? I might as well rob an apple store and take that 4 foot iphone mockup they have. The UI blows....it was great for a cellphone, but not for a table. ESPECIALLY when you consider what it SHOULD LOOK LIKE: Video.

3. No camera. Not a backbreaker, but why not stick a 10mp camera and hd video recorder in here? Would be awesome to have a front facing camera for an ichat or skype app on the road. But that would require a reliable network to support the data strain, which brings me to #5.

4. Still on AT&T. Both ATT and apple have talked about the enormous strains the iphone has put on att's network. So now they're adding a data only device? Classic.

6. No multitasking. I can't do two things at once...seriously? I can't listen to pandora and browse the web, read a book, or type a document? More proof that apple's focus is always on image over functionality. It makes no sense and they don't give a **** that customers have wanted it for years now.

7. No flash. Again. I'd assume apple's meetings go something like this: Steve: "Does it have a browser that pinches and zooms so that it looks cool?", Apple: "yes", Steve: "Okay, then skip the functionality part. We're going for window appeal...again. Now cut the budget there and use the rest of the money on extravagant stores and colorful t-shirts for our high school staff."

8. Keyboard. What crap. It's a laptop keyboard. It's completely unintuitive and unoriginal for what the ipad SHOULD'VE been designed for. There should be a keyboard that you can use while holding the ipad like a book and use your thumbs to type...it should be like arced letters on each side of the bottom part of the screen where your thumbs overlay...was that that hard to think of? I'm not alone in my thinking here...

So seriously think about it. The iPad is truly nothing more than an iPhone that's been stretched to 10" and stripped of its camera and phone call ability. There is no originality here that we didn't see years ago in the iPhone 1g.

/insert flames below

Interesting post in that you flame the hell out of the ipad and then say you're going to buy one.
I have a feeling that is what most critics will do. People bitching about a device that is $499 and it doesn't wipe their ass and polish their knob. If this thing was $1k then I could see legitimate complaints.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
And it's gonna let you listen to music and type a document or whatever.. Just not with Pandora or some other crap like that.

Okay, the majority of people that need Flash... is for YouTube. We already have an app for YouTube and they created a "Touch Screen" version of the website. Plus, the people that go on other websites that need Flash.. Well, they're all starting to create their own Apps.

Yes, the AT&T is completely whack. -0-

The name.. Only thing I think of is that...
and this...
VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK2drIylnDw

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I only agree with 4 and 6. Why is no flash a big deal? Short from ads (and youtube which it has) I rarely encounter flash on the net.

rnelan7

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Boise
You forgot to mention in number 5, it will encounter problems in the Boston area. It should make for a good SNL skit, I can envision it now :D

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
I only agree with 4 and 6. Why is no flash a big deal? Short from ads (and youtube which it has) I rarely encounter flash on the net.

really? Flash sites are all over the place. At least for me i find them all over and it frustrates me that i can't see them in my phone.
I just wonder what crap they will say now about why it isn't there. Surely ppl won't buy the whole flash kills battery or it requires too much graphic power BS (if it's done properly it does not).
I really want to her their new excuse.
or are they just saying that their own 1Ghz silicon is just as weak as ARM 620 mhz cpu in the iPhone

-AG-

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Austalia
the wifes only complaint is the lack of flash due to not being able to play her facebook games (treasure mania, resteraunt city etc).

But if they can work out a way to render them in HTML5 so that they no longer need flash then id say that she and a lot of other facebook fans would buy it in a heartbeat.

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006
the wifes only complaint is the lack of flash due to not being able to play her facebook games (treasure mania, resteraunt city etc).

But if they can work out a way to render them in HTML5 so that they no longer need flash then id say that she and a lot of other facebook fans would buy it in a heartbeat.

Seriously, people are so in love with flash its just sad, flash is a memory hog, hope to see the day when flash vanishes.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
It reminds me of Steve's "Super Secret Apple Rumors" to demo podcasting in GarageBand.

"The next iPod is going to be HUGE! An 8 pounder with a 10 inch screen" .. well maybe not that heavy, but that big!

screenshot20100127at908.png

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I like the iPad... but then I understand everyone's arguments about it.
I was looking to buy a netbook soon, and I might as well get an iPad.
Currently I am in school for design, but I do all my Photoshop/Adobe
work on my Mini. I just want something for web browsing and maybe
light word processing. This looks like a sure bet, plus the display seems
to be amazing. My wife like's the bookstore integration too. Ehm who
knows, or I will try and score a last generation MacBook on ebAY.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Seriously, people are so in love with flash its just sad, flash is a memory hog, hope to see the day when flash vanishes.

not gonna happen.

it's only a memory hog if it's badly done/scripted.

Also, web is only a small part of flash. If it vanishes from the web (which it won't IMO until html 5 catches up to it. And by then flash will have advanced as well.)

Flash development for web is only a miniscule of what flash can do.

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
If they ever put a front facing camera on an iPad, iPhone or Touch . . . that's the day I call my broker and go all in on companies that sell nose hair trimmers.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
in a couple years the negative people in these threads are gonna look back and realize they were wrong ... Just relax.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
My thoughts so far...

From someone who used it they said the bezel was the right size because it allows you to rest you fingers/thumb on it without touching the screen.

iPhones are cool. One of the biggest complaints I have with my iPhone is sometimes I feel like the screen is too small. A huge effin iPhone is awesome.

The fact you don't like it because they did not have enough icons on the demo screen just means there is something wrong with you, not the device.

Not every device needs a camera. 9.56x7.47x.5 device makes for a stupid camera.

You don't have a camera on one of the other 10,000 devices out there? Doesn't your clock radio and electric toothbrush have a camera? Why does this need to have a camera. We have already determined it will make for uncomfortable sex chats.

Classic what?

Do you work for AT&T or apple? What are you talking about. Do you just believe everything someone tells you on the netwebs?

I contend Stangs55 is but who am I. Maybe you don't like it because it hits too close to home for someone who is a d****e.

I am pretty certain your inability to do two things at once has nothing to do with whatever device you are using at the time.

I am interested in how you read a book and type a document at the same time though.

Join the 21st century. Flash is out. Websites still relying on flash need to upgrade.

What are you talking about. A keyboard you can use while holding the iPad like a book? First of all how do you hold a book? How do you do that and type on a keyboard. What are you talking about.

There are a lot of bad reasons people have complained but your eight are the most nonsensical and poorly thought out of all of them.

Try again!

It shouldn't astound me that so many people don't understand how doing something as simple as giving a 10" screen to a device as useful and elegant as an iPhone/iPod Touch is a big deal.

Will you have my babies. I love you now. :)

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

You haven't touched the device so why are you talking about this? I just measured the bezel via photoshop, and it's 0.77 inches. That's great because the measurement of my thumb? Is .78 inches! And guess what? I'm 6'2" 180 lbs.

This is iPhone OS 3.2. You can be that things will be changing on the iPhone and iPad in 4.0. Which I would assume we will see this summer.

3. No camera. Not a backbreaker, but why not stick a 10mp camera and hd video recorder in here?

Yeah, because 10mp sensors are so cheap these days...

We haven't seen how iPhone trashes other networks yet. Come back after they open it up, and I may or may not agree with you.

Most popular game console right now? Wii.

6. No multitasking. I can't do two things at once...seriously?

iPhone OS 4.0

7. No flash.

And no need either.

8. Keyboard. What crap.

Don't you think they would've tried out the different methods available? You know, Steve wasn't just typing with his thumbs today.

So seriously think about it. The iPad is truly nothing more than an iPhone that's been stretched to 10" and stripped of its camera and phone call ability.

While this isn't true, I don't think Apple did a very good job of differentiating the product. I've heard phrases similar to "just a big iPhone" all day now, and Apple is to blame for that perception.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
<rant>

in a couple years the negative people in these threads are gonna look back and realize they were wrong ... Just relax.

I don't think so. I feel that it was a very poor call putting the iPhone OS on this thing; and even so there are some things that are just too hard to ignore for people who own iPhones and iPods.

If this thing was aimed at students, I find it hard to believe that no stylus was included to draw pictures while taking notes in class ---- Very important.

It's too locked. 99.99% of the people I know watch a heck of a lot of videos online (and while flash is a memory hog, it is currenty a very important part of the online video community). Personally, I do not want to be locked into buying stuff from itunes when I can easily stream it using free ad supported websites. For example: Fox streams its stuff online and without the necessary plugins, it fails miserably. There is also hulu which I feel is necessary since it streams most of the TV shows watched today by the general public.

Finally, iSight. Why oh why no iSight? I think that they got too lazy and did not want to change the iPhone OS, thus deciding that they did not want to put in an iSight. I use webcam to chat a lot and I find this device solely lacking.

So, in conclusion, I don't think I'll look back to this thread and realize I am wrong.

Cheers.

</rant>

EDIT: Just for the sake of a background, this is coming from one of the biggest self proclaimed apple fanboys around.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
To the OP I just wanted to say how contradicting you are and blind to the fact at what the device does. You plainly state that you will buy one and use it since its easier to surf the web and read books etc then using a laptop. That IS the whole point. It may be a giant ipod pretty much but its a much more useful ipod. For a calander app I can see all my plans and organize my day much easier. Right now I sync everything from my mac to my ipod touch.

If I can just plan everything on once device and throw it in a bag with the rest of my things I'm set. Everyone I'v talked to so far has been extremely negative much like when the original Iphone was launched. Watch the video on the apple site. I know that when I first saw it I was also disappointed like you but now that I think about how I would use it, I actually could have a really big use for one to pair with my iphone and my macbook pro. Sorry about the ramblings my roomates all sound just like you so I digress.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
To the OP I just wanted to say how contradicting you are and blind to the fact at what the device does. You plainly state that you will buy one and use it since its easier to surf the web and read books etc then using a laptop. That IS the whole point. It may be a giant ipod pretty much but its a much more useful ipod. For a calander app I can see all my plans and organize my day much easier. Right now I sync everything from my mac to my ipod touch.

If I can just plan everything on once device and throw it in a bag with the rest of my things I'm set. Everyone I'v talked to so far has been extremely negative much like when the original Iphone was launched. Watch the video on the apple site. I know that when I first saw it I was also disappointed like you but now that I think about how I would use it, I actually could have a really big use for one to pair with my iphone and my macbook pro. Sorry about the ramblings my roomates all sound just like you so I digress.

While I agree that the two main reasons that you listed are important ( I was tempted because of the calendar and the books). I feel that $500 just for two features is just not worth it. (And this is again just my opinion which I am sure is much different compared to yours again read my previous post for more info.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.