Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rouxeny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
in a couple years the negative people in these threads are gonna look back and realize they were wrong ... Just relax.

I don't think it will take years for them to realize it.

I'd say 6 months.

This thing is going to be huge!

It's the perfect 2nd computer at home. I was thinking of getting a MB Air for that role, but this suits it better.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
<rant>

I don't think so. I feel that it was a very poor call putting the iPhone OS on this thing; and even so there are some things that are just too hard to ignore for people who own iPhones and iPods.

If this thing was aimed at students, I find it hard to believe that no stylus was included to draw pictures while taking notes in class ---- Very important.

It's too locked. 99.99% of the people I know watch a heck of a lot of videos online (and while flash is a memory hog, it is currenty a very important part of the online video community). Personally, I do not want to be locked into buying stuff from itunes when I can easily stream it using free ad supported websites. For example: Fox streams its stuff online and without the necessary plugins, it fails miserably. There is also hulu which I feel is necessary since it streams most of the TV shows watched today by the general public.

Finally, iSight. Why oh why no iSight? I think that they got too lazy and did not want to change the iPhone OS, thus deciding that they did not want to put in an iSight. I use webcam to chat a lot and I find this device solely lacking.

So, in conclusion, I don't think I'll look back to this thread and realize I am wrong.

Cheers.

</rant>

EDIT: Just for the sake of a background, this is coming from one of the biggest self proclaimed apple fanboys around.

Fox can stream their programs in a different format, but they don't want to because THEY want you to buy them in iTunes.

Apple wants to make tv shows CHEAPER to download in iTunes but the likes of Fox don't want to...

Why does everyone blame Apple for everything.

Talk to fox and these other websites, (funny that fox is 20TH CENTURY fox).

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
Fox can stream their programs in a different format, but they don't want to because THEY want you to buy them in iTunes.

Apple wants to make tv shows CHEAPER to download in iTunes but the likes of Fox don't want to...

Why does everyone blame Apple for everything.

Talk to fox and these other websites, (funny that fox is 20TH CENTURY fox).

How does that even make sense? You say they stream it for free but don't change the format because they want you to buy them in iTunes?????

Fox dosen't decide that the iPad will not play 80% of the videos online (while I agree flash is crap and I'd rather have HTML5 the truth of the matter is that flash is widely used and so crap : yes; required: YES)

Aren't you missing the whole point? I do NOT WANT TO BUY AT ALL even if it is freaking cheaper. I'd rather watch it free online using you know my "full web browsing experience"

I am not gonna buy a freaking device and wait till all the websites realize "Oh flash is crap let's switch to HTML5". Get real please and stop agreeing with everything that Steve-O says.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
How does that even make sense? You say they stream it for free but don't change the format because they want you to buy them in iTunes?????

Aren't you missing the whole point? I do NOT WANT TO BUY AT ALL even if it is freaking cheaper. I'd rather watch it free online using you know my "full web browsing experience"

I know that. But Fox knows people using apple apps are more likely to buy them in iTunes so they have little motivation to switch it over.

It actually helps them. So they can pretend like they provide them for free but don't.

They could easily stream their show in a format that would work on the iPhone but choose not to do it.

Ask them why they can't change it.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
I know that. But Fox knows people using apple apps are more likely to buy them in iTunes so they have little motivation to switch it over.

It actually helps them. So they can pretend like they provide them for free but don't.

They could easily stream their show in a format that would work on the iPhone but choose not to do it.

Ask them why they can't change it.

Face the facts 80% of personal computing is done on windoze. Fox doesn't care about us and neither do the other websites since most of the traffic they get is from people using windoze.

We aren't talking about a phone here. We are talking about a tablet Personal Computer.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Face the facts 80% of personal computing is done on windoze. Fox doesn't care about us and neither do the other websites since most of the traffic they get is from people using windoze.

We aren't talking about a phone here. We are talking about a tablet Personal Computer.

There are 75 million iphones and ipod touches out there right now.

There will be a couple million more tablets.

If they don't care they are costing themselves money, not Apple.

In the mobile space Apple is the number one player. Websites get more hits from apple devices than anyone else. The mobile space is growing much faster than the traditional space.

It is simply foolish and bad business to ignore it. Especially to what end. All it is now is lazy web developers. Flash is not something awesome that web designers can't do their job without.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
There are 75 million iphones and ipod touches out there right now.

There will be a couple million more tablets.

If they don't care they are costing themselves money, not Apple.

Again, read my last line carefully. I am perfectly happy with my iPhone doing what it is doing. I do not want to watch hulu videos on an iPhone or an iPod. But be perfectly clear, this is not a phone or an ipod; it is a 10 inch device that is supposed to beat a netbook and give you the ultimate media/web experience.

Looks like a big freaking iPod touch to me.

We aren't talking about smartphones anymore; we are getting into that grey area where this thing is supposed to be in Steve-O's words better at surfing the web than a laptop itself.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Again, read my last line carefully. I am perfectly happy with my iPhone doing what it is doing. I do not want to watch hulu videos on an iPhone or an iPod. But be perfectly clear, this is not a phone or an ipod; it is a 10 inch device that is supposed to beat a netbook.

Looks like a big freaking iPod touch to me.

I don't get your point I guess.

I just told you a ton of apple devices do not support flash.

Web developers and web sites who ignore that simply because they are too lazy, will lose money.

You don't seperate out the iPad from the iPhone/Touch on this issue. They are all together and collectively have an impact on websites and who has access.

Web designers and web sites do have to pay attention to what the gatekeepers are doing. In this case Apple is a significant gate keeper.

I own an internet marketing business. I know quite a bit about websites, marketing and how difficult it can be for websites to actually be profitable. There are no websites out there that can afford to be losing viewers/subscribers. The solution in a case like this is to make changes. if it means modified sites for iphone/ipad users so be it. If it means new streaming methods, so be it. If it means total redesigns to make their sites more compatible with their audiences, so be it.

People are mistaken if they think Adobe is going to win this war. The gatekeeper has all the leverage.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose

Web developers and web sites who ignore that simply because they are too lazy, will lose money.

You don't seperate out the iPad from the iPhone/Touch on this issue. They are all together and collectively have an impact on websites and who has access.

Web designers and web sites do have to pay attention to what the gatekeepers are doing. In this case Apple is a significant gate keeper.

I own an internet marketing business. I know quite a bit about websites, marketing and how difficult it can be for websites to actually be profitable. There are no websites out there that can afford to be losing viewers/subscribers. The solution in a case like this is to make changes. if it means modified sites for iphone/ipad users so be it. If it means new streaming methods, so be it. If it means total redesigns to make their sites more compatible with their audiences, so be it.

People are mistaken if they think Adobe is going to win this war. The gatekeeper has all the leverage.

I do not want Adobe to win this war at all. Infact I'd be downright happy if Adobe goes out of business tomorrow. But answer me this, do you think this is going to happen overnight? and if it is not, then tell me do we as a customer suffer with whatever device we buy till that HTML5 era?

Mad Mac

macrumors regular
May 15, 2008

I don't get your point. As an end user, all I want is access to media. Why should I care about Apple's fight with flash? That's their problem.

And if they (Apple) want to move product, they need to include flash. Sure there will be customers that will gobble up the iPad, but I won't be one of them. And looking around on sites such as Engadget, it looks like I'm not alone. I put up with my iPhone not having flash because it was a game changer. But now with Android, Win 7 Mobile, etc. catching up and supporting flash I will jump ship when my contract runs out.

Back to the flash issue, I just watched 24 on Fox last night on my MBP. Everything ran fine. Can you give me a logical reason why I should be going without flash and limiting my media choices? I can't think of any reason whatsoever.

pranavss11

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
San Jose
I don't get your point. As an end user, all I want is access to media. Why should I care about Apple's fight with flash? That's their problem.

And if they (Apple) want to move product, they need to include flash. Sure there will be customers that will gobble up the iPad, but I won't be one of them. And looking around on sites such as Engadget, it looks like I'm not alone. I put up with my iPhone not having flash because it was a game changer. But now with Android, Win 7 Mobile, etc. catching up and supporting flash I will jump ship when my contract runs out.

Back to the flash issue, I just watched 24 on Fox last night on my MBP. Everything ran fine. Can you give me a logical reason why I should be going without flash and limiting my media choices? I can't think of any reason whatsoever.

Thank you for understanding my point.

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Ok, I not do personal insults so Il'l let others do that part.

I love the Ipad, I'm not 100% keen on the name but it does look pretty cool. I do have some things I would like to see changed or added however.

1. flash, if you are selling a device that is purpose built to browse the web how can it not support flash! (remember you have the web in your hands...as long as it doesn't have flash I guess?) Don't care about the adobe/apple war!!!
2. multitasking, Listening to music and reading seem to go hand in hand for me as does looking at photos browsing and music. (4.0 iphone os hopefully will fix this?)
3. An insight camera so you can use it with skype would be a big plus. I don't need another device that can take crappy photos though.
4. A built in card reader. I'm guessing this was avoided to force you to buy an upgraded device, bummer.
5. bigger screen, doesn't have to be much bigger but 13 would be a good start.
6. more memory, 64 gb is just my music collection how can I fit movies and photos on it? at least 120 gb and then I would consider it.

I'll take the wait and see approach, maybe the next version will have more of what I want.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Ok, I not do personal insults so Il'l let others do that part.

I love the Ipad, I'm not 100% keen on the name but it does look pretty cool. I do have some things I would like to see changed or added however.

1. flash, if you are selling a device that is purpose built to browse the web how can it not support flash! (remember you have the web in your hands...as long as it doesn't have flash I guess?) Don't care about the adobe/apple war!!!
2. multitasking, Listening to music and reading seem to go hand in hand for me as does looking at photos browsing and music. (4.0 iphone os hopefully will fix this?)
3. An insight camera so you can use it with skype would be a big plus. I don't need another device that can take crappy photos though.
4. A built in card reader. I'm guessing this was avoided to force you to buy an upgraded device, bummer.
5. bigger screen, doesn't have to be much bigger but 13 would be a good start.
6. more memory, 64 gb is just my music collection how can I fit movies and photos on it? at least 120 gb and then I would consider it.

I'll take the wait and see approach, maybe the next version will have more of what I want.

Flash is such a resource hog. Most video websites are currently switching to HTML5, YouTube has already done so.

I want multi tasking too but how do you read a book and look at photos at the same time?

There is a card reader, in the camera connection kit.

13" is way too big. My Dad's friend's Lenovo 13" tablet is just clunky and awkward to use. It's too big to use comfortably and hold in your hand.

Most people don't have 64GB of music. I have 8GB and that's considered a lot.

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Nowww....with all that said, will I buy one? Hell yes.

I agree with everything you've said but could double your list (you forgot the no USBs, no HDMI, no GPS, 4:3 screen etc. etc.).

I'm in a very lucky position that the cost of the tablet is not a concern for me - I was happy to spend thousands on a fabulous piece of kit. But this?! No way. Even if someone gave it to me, what would I do with it? I can see NO occassion where the iPad would be more suitable than my iPhone or MBP. If I got one, I'd play with it for half an hour and then put it in a cupboard. Where it would be forgotten about.

A great shame. I'm really questioning Steve Job's magic touch.

Flash is such a resource hog. Most video websites are currently switching to HTML5, YouTube has already done so.

SO WHAT?! If flash is a resource hog, then give the tablet the recources necessary. Not doing so and not allowing Flash/multitasking etc. is EXACTLY why the iPad is such a cop-out. Consumers want Flash and have been calling for the iPhone to have flash since the day it was released. Why have Apple made the same mistake again? I'm assuming they couldn't care less about what their customers want.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
See my signature. There're BOUND to be people who complain about this and that when a product is released NO MATTER HOW GOOD IT IS. :rolleyes:

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Really? If people want flash so badly, how come it hasn't come on ANY smartphone? This is irrelevant to the iPad though.

I'm not supporting Flash. And by the looks of it, most of the video sharing sites don't like it either.

xeex

macrumors member
May 22, 2006

Would you stop ranting about flash, its tiresome, if you are so addicted to flash, get yourself a Dell iTampon and be happy. I couldnt care less about flash thing, I personally think its always been a problem and still is, you cant fast forward, you cant rewind, its just plain daft.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
SO WHAT?! If flash is a resource hog, then give the tablet the recources necessary. Not doing so and not allowing Flash/multitasking etc. is EXACTLY why the iPad is such a cop-out. Consumers want Flash and have been calling for the iPhone to have flash since the day it was released. Why have Apple made the same mistake again? I'm assuming they couldn't care less about what their customers want.
You are totally not understanding the underlying problem here. Consumers don't want flash. They want the content that is offered by the vehicle flash. The problem here is that Flash itself is incredibly flawed. It crashes regularly on all my computers and puts all fans on high alert, so much so that my laptop is about to take off when I visit Youtube. In addition it is full of secutiry holes.

Adobe is not doing anything about this, because everyone has flash anyway. It's basically a monopoly, and they are not innovating. When is the last time a new version of flash has been launched that wasn't a security update? . In the mean time the HTML consortium or whatever it is called IS innovating and introducing better`technology such as HTML5 that can deliver the same content as Flash, but at a fraction of the resources and other problems associated with it.

It is clear that Apple is actively pushing the migration to HTML5 because they have always been about standards. By not including flash they are doing two things: maybe pushing Adobe to finally start to clear up some problems with Flash (they probably won't) or contribute the migration of flash heavy sites to HTML5. Apple's market share is growing rapidly and it's users are a source of income for sites such as youtube, vimeo, and a host of adult sites. These sites want to make money from the mac user too and will start to migrate very soon as Youtube has already done.

Larpy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Ok just want to talk about flash a bit more...sorry but some points that people seem to be missing.

I don't really like flash, and I know that flash is heavy but a lot of web sites still use it!!!! So what should I do not visit these sites?? SJ said it "you hold the internet in your hand" but not sites that have flash??? For me it's a disappointment.

13 inches is not to big and 64 GB is too small... for me:eek:

The next ipad will have a bigger display and more memory I'm sure so I will wait.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
Would you stop ranting about flash, its tiresome, if you are so addicted to flash, get yourself a Dell iTampon and be happy. I couldnt care less about flash thing, I personally think its always been a problem and still is, you cant fast forward, you cant rewind, its just plain daft.

Not True...more flash misinformation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.