Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I'm sure it did :)
Yep. I did over 250 floor plans using that surface in a 2.5 month period for a natural disaster flood we had here. So yes, It did. I know it's hard to believe that anything other than an iPad worked for anything but it's my experience.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'm sure it did :)

Non-issue for Surface Pro X. Just drew these lines very slowly with ruler as guide.

Jitter.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Never had an issue with my surface. I also had an iPad with pencil and neither was better than the other.
I'm not a creative, but I felt the iPad and its stylus provides a superior experience then the surface and its stylus.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
^ That iPad Pro is four generations old. Do not have that problem in Notes or Procreate with Apple Pencil 1 or 2 on recent iPads (Base, Air or Pro).

I tried using a Surface Pro 7 and still saw jitters and uneven pen performance without using a ruler. Guess I’ll just try a Wacom tablet when I’m ready for Windows.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I do think apple has the edge with the stylus over the surface pro. For tablet usage the iPad and iPad Pro are unmatched. For for desktop like apps is where the iPad falls down. That’s where the surface Pro beats out the IPad IMO

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Well Maflynn, my little dell notebook has suffered a LCD issue where it's intermittently going completely white or showing bars. I took it all apart and checked all the connections and concluded that my husky stepped on the computer and damaged the actual panel. I have a new one coming with the intel 1165g7, I am adding 64gb of ram and a 4tb NVME as soon as it gets here. It will be quite the upgrade in speed compared to my current computer. But I had a computer die within days of yours "dying".

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
how little is it?
mine is 13.? is that considered little?
I call it little because it only had the 4405u processor and set me back a little over 500 bucks Cdn. My new one is the 14" with much better specs for what I need. Right now I am on my 11" 3000 2 in 1. I love this rig too for portability and relaxing.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I call it little because it only had the 4405u processor and set me back a little over 500 bucks Cdn. My new one is the 14" with much better specs for what I need. Right now I am on my 11" 3000 2 in 1. I love this rig too for portability and relaxing.
We tried purchasing a insperion 2 week ago from Dell and they cancelled the order a day later.
probably due to no stick an dwe opted for the 2nd day delivery.
that one kicked ass for $499 US even with an i3.
meanwhile got to watch 5 hours of hockey on the Dell XPS last nite and had battery left!
they are great machines!

Reactions: Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I love dell. All around great machines for the money. I paid 2200 for my xps 8940 workstation and it's awesome. I have to upgrade a few things but the bones of the system are already fast.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Whelp, another problem and I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

I'm now getting "bad images" for runtimes and apps all across the board. What did I do? Reboot and that reboot crashed - the PC just sat there with the blue restarting message. No, it wasn't going through an update cycle. Why did I need to reboot you ask? Well great question, OneDrive stopped working, I was trying to open a file that had the little cloud icon but it wouldn't download. It told me to make sure onedrive was running.

Sooooo, looks like I'm dealing with some level of drive corruption, and I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to reinstall windows again. I took an image from the last time I ran into issues, but when I plug in the USB, I get an unknown device.

I know my frustration level is high, but I'm seriously tempted to part out the PC - the RTX 2060 itself should hopefully offset much of the cash I put into it.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
We tried purchasing a insperion 2 week ago from Dell and they cancelled the order a day later.
probably due to no stick an dwe opted for the 2nd day delivery.
that one kicked ass for $499 US even with an i3.
meanwhile got to watch 5 hours of hockey on the Dell XPS last nite and had battery left!
they are great machines!
I bought my mother a Dell inspiron 15 3000 with the i3 and 8gb of ram the other day for 479.00. It arrived 5 days later. I set it up, got all the updates done and gave it to her to replace her beat to pieces acer. She is very happy with her new machine. i3 gets a bad rap but for basic use it's fine. I have an inspiron 11 3000 2 in 1 for my wife, and it's quite good for basic stuff even with only 4gb of ram in it. She only uses it for online shopping, basic word processing etc and some cricut work.

Reactions: MBAir2010

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Whelp, another problem and I'm pretty frustrated at this point.

I'm now getting "bad images" for runtimes and apps all across the board. What did I do? Reboot and that reboot crashed - the PC just sat there with the blue restarting message. No, it wasn't going through an update cycle. Why did I need to reboot you ask? Well great question, OneDrive stopped working, I was trying to open a file that had the little cloud icon but it wouldn't download. It told me to make sure onedrive was running.

Sooooo, looks like I'm dealing with some level of drive corruption, and I just don't have the intestinal fortitude to reinstall windows again. I took an image from the last time I ran into issues, but when I plug in the USB, I get an unknown device.

I know my frustration level is high, but I'm seriously tempted to part out the PC - the RTX 2060 itself should hopefully offset much of the cash I put into it.
You probably are aware of these, but I thought I would mention them:

One thing you can try is to install windows with an image created by the windows media tool. Use the option to keep apps. (This assumes you can create a bootable usb or dvd).

The second option is to run a chkdsk on your ssd if you have bootable media available.

Good luck.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
You're right but it did - not sure why but clearly my experience with Gigabyte x570 motherboard is not alone - there was an update that did it. I've since disabled driver updates as noted by the links above

Im late to this party, but just want to call out something. I know many including myself are loyal/superstitious about brands for PCs.

I’ve had a bad experience with Gigabyte mobos (when I was trying something else) such that I ended up returning it. I’m primarily an Asus / Nvidia pc builder and haven’t had any problems with this combo

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
You probably are aware of these, but I thought I would mention them:

One thing you can try is to install windows with an image created by the windows media tool. Use the option to keep apps. (This assumes you can create a bootable usb or dvd).

The second option is to run a chkdsk on your ssd if you have bootable media available.

Good luck.
The computer was bootable, but something seemed off. I opted to do a recovery from the internet, that kept my data but not my programs.

I mentioned how one drive was giving me headaches, well on this computer that was a common theme, so I opted for that process. The process is not as seamless or easy as apple's but it worked as expected.

I still have some oddities, that I think is still related to one drive, like my desktop folder not working, i.e., I have it being backed up on one drive but no icons are actually showing up - I'll play with it shortly.

I was being perfectly honest in stating my Razer did not have these issues, and I may just use the razer for the time being

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I'm admittedly a bit late, but my ThinkPad had a similar issue: I was using it, shut the lid and went to do something, came back to find it not asleep as normal but instead in sort of a comatose state similar to what you describe. The BIOS didn't reset but it rebooted three times, I was greeted with a blank blue screen the first two times before it finally booted into automatic recovery the third time. It happened around the same time as your issue, and I remember it telling me my computer needed to reboot to install one or more updates. In my case one of the updates was for nVidia drivers.

Needless to say, this happened right before finals week so I needed to put off troubleshooting until after that was finished. The driver for my dGPU (Quadro T2000) was broken. After I repaired that though, everything has gone back to normal and you would have never thought the computer had crashed as hard as it did. I'd argue it may even be working better than it did before. It seems that sometimes drivers in OEM installations are messed up and I never understand why.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I will say that I was surprised to see this document on my desktop, which eases my work of what was installed, as you can see on many of the items, there's links. I'll probably refrain from install everything here as I have an opportunity to have a less bloated system.

One thing that didn't work as mentioned above is my desktop not really showing up, yes there was a desktop folder under onedrive (I have my documents/desktop synced in onedrive) but nothing was showing up. I suspected its due to the fact this reinstall process kept my user fold intact (/users/mike) and also the onedrive folder under the mike folder. I decided to delete the mike account and start over and so far things are working as intended. I'll take another snapshot of my system once its done, though I'm not entirely sure I trust it. I may try some other backup solution at this point

1622369791319.png

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I will say that I was surprised to see this document on my desktop, which eases my work of what was installed, as you can see on many of the items, there's links. I'll probably refrain from install everything here as I have an opportunity to have a less bloated system.

One thing that didn't work as mentioned above is my desktop not really showing up, yes there was a desktop folder under onedrive (I have my documents/desktop synced in onedrive) but nothing was showing up. I suspected its due to the fact this reinstall process kept my user fold intact (/users/mike) and also the onedrive folder under the mike folder. I decided to delete the mike account and start over and so far things are working as intended. I'll take another snapshot of my system once its done, though I'm not entirely sure I trust it. I may try some other backup solution at this point

View attachment 1783975
Awesome it removed bonjour. A scurge on any windows system.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I lost a Dell All-in-One PC years ago that I bought to toy around with Windows 10 (mainly for Netflix, as my Vizio TV had died (the HDMI ports fried themselves) and tried to make it a temporary smart TV.)

In 2016 it got an 'update' that I left to auto-install while I was at work. Came back home, it is in a blurry low-res screen saying something to the extent that 'problems happened during the update' and it had to reboot into recovery. It rebooted, but it got stuck in a Dell SupportAssist screen trying to claim my HDD is dead (bypassing this check won't even boot--just shuts the PC down).

I got it revived sorta by installing Linux on another partition--the HDD is NOT dead. Nor dying. Linux can even see the data on the Windows EFI partition just fine. Just can't boot it into Windows ever again. Can't format it, or wipe. Dell SupportAssist is intent on telling me to buy a new HDD. Ever since that day, I refuse to do updates on Windows without the Assistant, as it at least can roll back updates. I've taken ownership of folders on any W10 PC and deleted the update files. Never worry about them anymore.

Not sure what happened or why SupportAssist tells me the HDD is dead and just turns the PC off completely if you skip the check or click on 'ignore'. Letting it get to the 'your hard disk is not working' also shuts the PC down if you close it. SMART checks all pass (on Linux and Linux recovery disks) so I never knew what exactly happened. It only does SupportAssist checks on the EFI side, refuses outright to boot. Linux boots fine. Appears on the EFI partition that SupportAssist is baked into the EFI BIOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.