Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I lost a Dell All-in-One PC years ago that I bought to toy around with Windows 10 (mainly for Netflix, as my Vizio TV had died (the HDMI ports fried themselves) and tried to make it a temporary smart TV.)

In 2016 it got an 'update' that I left to auto-install while I was at work. Came back home, it is in a blurry low-res screen saying something to the extent that 'problems happened during the update' and it had to reboot into recovery. It rebooted, but it got stuck in a Dell SupportAssist screen trying to claim my HDD is dead (bypassing this check won't even boot--just shuts the PC down).

I got it revived sorta by installing Linux on another partition--the HDD is NOT dead. Nor dying. Linux can even see the data on the Windows EFI partition just fine. Just can't boot it into Windows ever again. Can't format it, or wipe. Dell SupportAssist is intent on telling me to buy a new HDD. Ever since that day, I refuse to do updates on Windows without the Assistant, as it at least can roll back updates. I've taken ownership of folders on any W10 PC and deleted the update files. Never worry about them anymore.

Not sure what happened or why SupportAssist tells me the HDD is dead and just turns the PC off completely if you skip the check or click on 'ignore'. Letting it get to the 'your hard disk is not working' also shuts the PC down if you close it. SMART checks all pass (on Linux and Linux recovery disks) so I never knew what exactly happened. It only does SupportAssist checks on the EFI side, refuses outright to boot. Linux boots fine. Appears on the EFI partition that SupportAssist is baked into the EFI BIOS.
Wow, never heard of that one before. Sounds like something got corrupted during the update. I bet if you take the HDD out of the machine, install it in another and format it, it will be fine.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I just pulled my game saves off it and shoved it into a closet. Too weak to do much other than be a substitute smart TV. Just another reason to turn off MS updates. Looking around many issues regarding SupportAssist and false hard drive failure errors, but none of those folks had their PC's shut down, as they could still boot. For mine, skipping the check or letting it complete and tapping OK just immediately shuts the PC down like a hard power off. I'm guessing either the EFI BIOS/partition got corrupted or a driver issue. or the MBR got wiped. Not sure.

Error from Windows I finally remembered "We were unable to install the update" on what appeared to be a recovery boot screen, with F1 to restart and another option to shut the PC down.

Just for kicks I tried powering it on again, and it still gets into a SupportAssist boot loop claiming a critical hard disk failure, which is obviously incorrect as I can still boot linux.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I just pulled my game saves off it and shoved it into a closet. Too weak to do much other than be a substitute smart TV. Just another reason to turn off MS updates. Looking around many issues regarding SupportAssist and false hard drive failure errors, but none of those folks had their PC's shut down, as they could still boot. For mine, skipping the check or letting it complete and tapping OK just immediately shuts the PC down like a hard power off. I'm guessing either the EFI BIOS/partition got corrupted or a driver issue. or the MBR got wiped. Not sure.

Error from Windows I finally remembered "We were unable to install the update" on what appeared to be a recovery boot screen, with F1 to restart and another option to shut the PC down.

Just for kicks I tried powering it on again, and it still gets into a SupportAssist boot loop claiming a critical hard disk failure, which is obviously incorrect as I can still boot linux.
Well, sounds like when my SSHD failed to tell you the truth. Went into bootloop and nothing I did helped. Popped in a new drive and everything was fine.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Well, I got my new notebook. It's awesome. Active pen has a better feel on screen than my fisher-Price tipped apple pencil on the ipad, and it's really fast with the 11th gen i7. Overall I am enjoying my new purchase ALOT.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Well, sounds like when my SSHD failed to tell you the truth. Went into bootloop and nothing I did helped. Popped in a new drive and everything was fine.
That's just it though. The drive, data is all there and accessible. I just can't boot into Windows anymore. It works perfectly fine booting into Linux and accessing the files on the Windows partition from it. Whatever Dell SupportAssist is getting this so-called 'HDD critical Failure' error it's clearly mistaken. I've run SMART tests--all pass. FSCK'd the thing, all pass. No bad sectors, short read failures, etc.

It's most likely a corrupted EFI partition, and possibly making that partition unbootable, which would confuse SupportAssist into assuming the drive is unbootable aka failed. The SupportAssist is booting from that partition--it's not an app, it comes up before it would normally boot into it. Bypassing the check or letting it complete will just result in a hard shutdown. To boot Linux you have to enter the BIOS (I've turned on legacy boot so I can F10 into it), and make sure the Linux partition is set to boot before Windows. Then the PC works perfectly fine.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Can you remove the drive from the machine? If so, you can get it formatted, download the OS off dell's website, and re install. Corrupt windows partition is gone then and it should work for you again.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The cmos shouldn't be able to be reset, nor should the bios get corrupted unless initiated by the user via a cmos clear or bios update.

That's a failing of the the system board and bios manufacturer not properly locking things down...unfortunately though it's happened to you and recently happened to me.
I’ve seen that happen on some board makers bios when you fudge an over clock of the cpu or ram and you force it to reboot a few times. It can also happen if the cmos battery is low.

Reactions: I7guy

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Can you remove the drive from the machine? If so, you can get it formatted, download the OS off dell's website, and re install. Corrupt windows partition is gone then and it should work for you again.
There's nothing worth saving that I haven't already backed up. It's just a backup PC that works find via Linux. I bought it to be a temporary smart TV years ago. I don't need it today, but me being the anti-disposable kind of guy I won't just toss it out. It's useful for RAM, parts, a spare HDD, etc. It doesn't have to boot windows, I was just miffed that some utility Dell put into it made me not trust it anymore. I won't even support or buy from Dell (they've burned me in the past as well--look up Dell Latitude CPx series 1-3-5 battery error--interesting topic, seems Dell designed their batteries with a little e-fuse that blows when you have exceeded 300 charge cycles so you can't use a perfectly good battery anymore, which results in the status LED on the pack blinking 1 time, pause, 3 times, pause and 5 times and repeat). I vote with my wallet-company screws me over, they ain't getting a dime out of me in the future.

Oh, I could go through the rigamorole of ordering the recovery disks (since they had the recovery portion on the HDD which I wiped to install Linux to) all for a system with 3GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, and a crappy Intel CPU with equally crappy Intel HD graphics. Not worth my time. I bet their little Support Assist thing was an e-fuse telling me it's time to toss a perfectly good HDD for another one. Talk about a racket. Maybe some folks buy a new PC or parts every year but to me it's an unsustainable practice I refuse to get into.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I’ve seen that happen on some board makers bios when you fudge an over clock of the cpu or ram and you force it to reboot a few times. It can also happen if the cmos battery is low.
I’m my case, new system board. The corruption happened while I was in windows, doing windows stuff…after the system was stable for months.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
There's nothing worth saving that I haven't already backed up. It's just a backup PC that works find via Linux. I bought it to be a temporary smart TV years ago. I don't need it today, but me being the anti-disposable kind of guy I won't just toss it out. It's useful for RAM, parts, a spare HDD, etc. It doesn't have to boot windows, I was just miffed that some utility Dell put into it made me not trust it anymore. I won't even support or buy from Dell (they've burned me in the past as well--look up Dell Latitude CPx series 1-3-5 battery error--interesting topic, seems Dell designed their batteries with a little e-fuse that blows when you have exceeded 300 charge cycles so you can't use a perfectly good battery anymore, which results in the status LED on the pack blinking 1 time, pause, 3 times, pause and 5 times and repeat). I vote with my wallet-company screws me over, they ain't getting a dime out of me in the future.

Oh, I could go through the rigamorole of ordering the recovery disks (since they had the recovery portion on the HDD which I wiped to install Linux to) all for a system with 3GB RAM, a 500GB HDD, and a crappy Intel CPU with equally crappy Intel HD graphics. Not worth my time. I bet their little Support Assist thing was an e-fuse telling me it's time to toss a perfectly good HDD for another one. Talk about a racket. Maybe some folks buy a new PC or parts every year but to me it's an unsustainable practice I refuse to get into.
Right on. I have had great success with dell and their computers. To each their own I guess. I have 5 dell machines in my house right now. One is my previous 2 in 1 that died from my husky jumping on it on the sofa. Not dell's fault. I just purchased my 5406 2 in 1 to replace it and it's an awesome machine. Fast, aluminum build, nice screen and great keyboard.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I used to love Dell during the CPx and Latitude D-series era. But their later laptops and desktops have taken a serious downturn in quality. My Inspiron Notebook that I bought in 2018 kept having battery issues ("your battery is unsupported" message on boot--it was the built in battery!). Another Inspiron of the same model (thought the first was a dud) got really hot and turned off, never turned on again. My stepdad's Dell after a year refused to use its own built-in battery again (Windows showed an icon in the action center of an empty battery with '!' inside, whatever that means).

They've kinda turned into the new Compaq. I remember those, too. Always called them 'Crappaq's'

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I used to love Dell during the CPx and Latitude D-series era.
the XPS 9300 series seems very stable and for me one of the best items I ever purchased.
seems to me the latitude and sperion(?) editions are made for those who dont use a laptop that much
to keep up with HP, Acer products.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Latitude laptops were their 'business' line. The Dell Latitude CPi was a PII 233MHz with a very nice modern design. Had swappable CD/Battery/Floppy. Ok it's old now!

The Latitude D610 was a nice laptop too, even though it also refused to allow use of the battery (charging LED flashed that infamous '1-3-5' code). I had some great fun with Linux on that thing. I don't know what happened to it, but I would bet it got lost in the move to my new home in 2016. I didn't have any issues with it other than the battery it refused to charge.

The Inspiron were their more consumer grade. Cheap, at least today.

XPS-series were their gaming line at one period. Too rich for my blood, much like the rather under-specced HP Spectre that, despite having far less RAM and HDD than the much nicer Envy sitting next to it, carries a Mac-like price of $1999! I never, EVER understood how that price could be justified when that Envy had 2 more GB RAM and a 1TB HDD vs. the Spectre's 500GB, and the Envy cost $899 in comparison. Even had a touch screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.