Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I just upgraded my iPad to 4.2.1 and jailbroke via redsnow. I must say that despite the fact the jailbreak is tethered, it's very stable. I don't restart my ipad that often so it's not a huge issue for me. Cydia works great and slowly but surely everything is being updated. The new os is great. My only issue is with multitasking, its stupid that there is no way to choose which apps you want to multitask, instead of multitasking everything and clogging up the tray. When the new untethered jailbreak comes out I will surely upgrade to it, but for now this is working great for me. I must say though, i wont be doing it on my iPhone 4 until the untethered jailbreak is out.

Last edited:

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I just upgraded my iPad to 4.2.1 and jailbroke via redsnow. I must say that despite the fact the jailbreak is tethered, it's very stable. I don't restart my ipad that often so it's not a huge issue for me. Cydia works great and slowly but surely everything is being updated. The new os is great. My only issue is with multitasking, its stupid that there is no way to choose which apps you want to multitask, instead of multitasking everything and clogging up the tray. When the new untethered jailbreak comes out I will surely upgrade to it, but for now this is working great for me. I must say though, i wont be doing it on my iPhone 4 until the untethered jailbreak is out.

My iPhone is staying firmly with 4.1 until it is untethered. With your iPad, just install RemoveRecents from Cydia.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
My iPhone is staying firmly with 4.1 until it is untethered. With your iPad, just install RemoveRecents from Cydia.

removerecents is good for now, but what about when all the apps are updated for multitasking? there's going to have to be another jailbreak solution to make it so you can pick and choose what goes into the tray.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My iPhone is staying firmly with 4.1 until it is untethered.
I wouldn't have jailbroken my iPhone 4 if it were a tethered jailbreak and not a semi-tethered jailbreak. Being semi-tethered takes away the problem of being away from your computer and having to reboot. With a semi-tethered jailbreak you can reboot, you'll just lose any jailbreaking app functionality until you use redsn0w and reboot it again. That's something I can live with until the untethered jailbreak is out as I can't remember the last time I needed to reboot when away from home.

removerecents is good for now, but what about when all the apps are updated for multitasking? there's going to have to be another jailbreak solution to make it so you can pick and choose what goes into the tray.
You do realize the multitasking bar is just a task switcher. All it does is show you a list of recently run apps. That's it. iOS multitasks so well that you don't need to know what's running in the background.

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You do realize the multitasking bar is just a task switcher. All it does is show you a list of recently run apps. That's it. iOS multitasks so well that you don't need to know what's running in the background.

If its just a list of recently run apps, then it wouldnt be running anything in the background, so you just contradicted yourself. If an app is optimized for multitasking it doesnt have to restart every time you launch it, much different from a list of recently run apps.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If its just a list of recently run apps, then it wouldnt be running anything in the background, so you just contradicted yourself. If an app is optimized for multitasking it doesnt have to restart every time you launch it, much different from a list of recently run apps.
Let me clarify what I meant, the multitasking bar is just a list of running AND recently run apps. Install SwitcherMod when it works in 4.2.1 and it'll allow you to see what actually is running and what isn't. On my iPhone 4, on average, 14 apps are in memory.

Apple doesn't want you to know what is running or not because it doesn't matter. Most apps save there state when closing now so it doesn't matter if they're in memory (running) or not.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Can anyone tell me if there's a gesture you can assign in Activator in 4.2.1 that simulates double clicking home button/brings up that multitasking bar?
I'd like to avoid double clicking that flippin' home button all the time.
Thanks in advance.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

You have no idea what you are talking about. The task switcher IS for recently opened apps. It has ZERO to do with multitasking. Apps launching immediately into their previous state doesn't mean they are running in the background. Prior to iOS 4, a developer had to do that himself. That is, when you exit an app, the developer had to save the state. With iOS 4, this is done automatically for all apps built for iOS 4 (again this has nothing to do with running in the background). The app is put to a "sleep" state, and when it is relaunched it wakes up.

Only apps written to use one of the seven backgrounding services (like VoIP or music playback) will run in the background when you exit the app.

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Can anyone tell me if there's a gesture you can assign in Activator in 4.2.1 that simulates double clicking home button/brings up that multitasking bar?
I'd like to avoid double clicking that flippin' home button all the time.
Thanks in advance.

There certainly is in Activator for iOS 4.1 (on my iPhone), so it'd be safe to assume that'll be there in 4.2 too (if/once Activator is updated).

On my iPhone I have a swipe down from the top bar, or press-holding the home button, or press-holding the volume down button, bringing up my multitasking tray. Plenty of choice depending on my hand positions!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I hope someone figures out soon how to turn my mute switch back into a screen lock. Grrr

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
There certainly is in Activator for iOS 4.1 (on my iPhone), so it'd be safe to assume that'll be there in 4.2 too (if/once Activator is updated).

On my iPhone I have a swipe down from the top bar, or press-holding the home button, or press-holding the volume down button, bringing up my multitasking tray. Plenty of choice depending on my hand positions!
Activator already works in 4.2.1 on the iPhone. I'm running SBSettings now (it uses Activator). Not sure about the iPad though.

I hope someone figures out soon how to turn my mute switch back into a screen lock. Grrr
You won't have to wait long. Plenty of people don't like the change.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
rikbrown said:

QuarterSwede said:
Activator already works in 4.2.1 on the iPhone. I'm running SBSettings now (it uses Activator). Not sure about the iPad though.
Thanks both of you. I guess I'll wait until someone can verify Activator is updated for iPad 4.2.1, it's my only reason for jailbreaking.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You won't have to wait long. Plenty of people don't like the change.

Activator is having some issues on 4.2.1 some gestures works others crash, need to be update, developer said it is working on it.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Update: i had to restart my iPad after installing a few things, after I booted it into a jailbroken state, most of my apps in folders dissappeared. If i search for them i can still launch them, but they don't appear on the springboard, any idea why? Also, i feel like the battery life isn't as good as it was before the update, but idk if it has anything to do with the jailbreak.

pensphreak

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
When you reboot your iPad and it's not tethered to your machine, can you still use your iPad as if it were not jailbroken? Does Safari work in this mode?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
When you reboot your iPad and it's not tethered to your machine, can you still use your iPad as if it were not jailbroken? Does Safari work in this mode?

If you install anything that interfaces with Springboard.app or CommCenter then your iPad won't boot at all without being tethered.

pensphreak

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2010
If you install anything that interfaces with Springboard.app or CommCenter then your iPad won't boot at all without being tethered.

Right. So if I were to jailbreak and only install Cydia and AppSync/Installulo.us, I should be able to reboot and still use my iPad (with Safari working)?

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Update: i had to restart my iPad after installing a few things, after I booted it into a jailbroken state, most of my apps in folders dissappeared. If i search for them i can still launch them, but they don't appear on the springboard, any idea why? Also, i feel like the battery life isn't as good as it was before the update, but idk if it has anything to do with the jailbreak.

Any idea why? And you just got finished telling us all how stable it was!

The reason is because its not stable and your trying to load a bunch of programs that you have not given the developers the time they need to update their programs You are impatient and just had to have the new OS and installed a jailbreak that is not completely stable that's why!

And I'm sure thats why your having battery issues, I seem to recall last major jailbreak update there were many with battery issues that were eventually corrected with an update. Do a seRvh you'll find the information on the forum.

A little cocky there with your rude rebuttal to the member who tried to tell you how multi-tasking actually works in the os. If you had done any reading about how things work you would have known that and not asked such a silly question.

Last edited:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
A little cocky there with your rude rebuttal to the member who tried to tell you how multi-tasking actually works in the os. If you had done any reading about how things work you would have known that and not asked such a silly question.

care to explain how my rebuttal was rude or cocky in anyway? I was asking a simple question. The only one being rude or cocky right now is you. If you would like to continue being a douche, go do it in another thread. Your answer is unwelcome and utterly useless.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Activator is having some issues on 4.2.1 some gestures works others crash, need to be update, developer said it is working on it.

Maturola, thank you so much for this. I'm perfectly content to just wait it out on 3.2.1 as long as I don't lose my working Activator! Love that app, can't wait til he gets it updated :)

Muscleflex

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
hi - what does 'untethered' mean? does it mean your ipad needs to be constantly connected with the computer for it to stay jailbroken?

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
hi - what does 'untethered' mean? does it mean your ipad needs to be constantly connected with the computer for it to stay jailbroken?

tethered - gotta be connected to computer(known as being tethered) if you reboot to re-jailbreak
untethered - can reboot as many times without being tethered as you want just for the lols

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
So I have been jailbroken on my iPad since April. After I got my iPhone 4 I couldn't wait for 4.2 on the iPad. I upgraded and broke my jailbreak a few days ago. Well today I used redsn0w to try out the tethered jailbreak and I have to say it works just fine. As long as you read the package descriptions before you install you should be fine. Sbsettings works like a charm :). Once the untethered version comes out I'll do it over again. I just love having my iPad and iphone "in sync" so to speak. Holding off upgrading my iphone until the untethered comes out though....

The new Cydia interface rocks by the way.

Lionheart

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Tampa, FL
There is already a app for that.

Its called "NoMute"

Its available for free in Cydia under BigBoss repository.

Thanks for mentioning this. Works great! I'd bet this one becomes pretty popular until Apple fixes this bad idea.

CORRECTION: Doesn't work so great. Locks orientation, but mutes sound on some programs. Not quite ready for primetime. Dangit!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.