Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapocompris

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
care to explain how my rebuttal was rude or cocky in anyway? I was asking a simple question. The only one being rude or cocky right now is you. If you would like to continue being a douche, go do it in another thread. Your answer is unwelcome and utterly useless.
You asked an simple question, but instead of trying to understand the answer you refute it right away.

Just install SwitcherMod, then in Settings, SwitcherMod gives you the possibility to either hide or make recent apps transparent, in contrast the remaining ones are really multitasking.

However, multitasking does not always mean running in the background, navigation apps or music players run in the background (you still hear music or navigation directions), but games just pause, allowing you to resume them where you left.

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and upgrading to the tethered 4.2.1

I've rebooted my iPad like 3 times since I've owned it, and two of those times have been through Cydia wanting to do stuff.

I have a few questions.

1. If you don't install any Cydia tweaks, is it safe to say that the iPad will boot into un-JBed mode just fine?

2. How long does the process of "just boot to tethered JB" with redsn0w take? Does it put a new firmware on there, and you have to upload everything to the iPad (takes forever with a large music library down-sampled to 128bit AAC!)

3. If I have any Cydia apps that won't be there when I go into normal boot up mode, do those apps lose their data? So when I "boot to tethered" it will be a virgin state of the app, or does "boot to tethered" get you back to exactly where you were? (and/or does syncing with iTunes after sync any bits that were missing).

4. Furthermore, do you lose any installs you've done through Cydia when going to unJBed and back?

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
For those that are curious I finally did it.

It seems that the apps stay there (at least Cydia, when I had to do a reboot), it just doesn't open.

With stock Cydia and Installous it reboots fine into unJBed mode.

The process is fast as redsnow doesn't make a custom firmware every time, it just reboots your iPad is all, so it only takes as long as that takes (a few minutes).

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
Just upgraded from 3.2 to 4.2.1 and am delighted to see that it was not as painful as I expected and everything works.

The Apple approach to multitasking isn't quite as fun as Backgrounder and swiping to change apps, but it works and allows for Airplay and Airprint.

I can't see any reason not to upgrade other than being tethered, which isn't really that big of a deal.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Just upgraded from 3.2 to 4.2.1 and am delighted to see that it was not as painful as I expected and everything works.

The Apple approach to multitasking isn't quite as fun as Backgrounder and swiping to change apps, but it works and allows for Airplay and Airprint.

I can't see any reason not to upgrade other than being tethered, which isn't really that big of a deal.

Yeah ever since using this jailbreak, I've come to the realization that I dont turn my iPad on and off ever.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Don't a lot of Cydia apps require a reboot after install??

I don't really ever turn off my iPad either, but I do download stuff from Cydia. Seems like the reboots would be a pain.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Don't a lot of Cydia apps require a reboot after install??

I don't really ever turn off my iPad either, but I do download stuff from Cydia. Seems like the reboots would be a pain.

Not really. The ones that require a reboot are very few and far between. And they tend to be basic stuff that most people would install right after they jailbreak. I had to reboot a few times the first day I jailbroke, but that was it. I haven't had to reboot once since then.

spedtea

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
So I have been jailbroken on my iPad since April. After I got my iPhone 4 I couldn't wait for 4.2 on the iPad. I upgraded and broke my jailbreak a few days ago. Well today I used redsn0w to try out the tethered jailbreak and I have to say it works just fine. As long as you read the package descriptions before you install you should be fine. Sbsettings works like a charm :). Once the untethered version comes out I'll do it over again. I just love having my iPad and iphone "in sync" so to speak. Holding off upgrading my iphone until the untethered comes out though....

The new Cydia interface rocks by the way.

OK I'm, new to all this and can't figure out how to jailbreak with redsnow. Where do I put the file after I extract the items? I just put it on desktop so I could find it. Then it asks me to select the corresonding IPSW with current firmware. No idea what this means or where it is. Can someone walk me thru it? I need jailbreak for dummies!! also, will this let me use flash on ipad?
thanks

Last edited:

kriista1234

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Tada!

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12950

There's a Mac version on there too (what I used).

OK I'm, new to all this and can't figure out how to jailbreak with redsnow. Where do I put the file after I extract the items? I just put it on desktop so I could find it. Then it asks me to select the corresonding IPSW with current firmware. No idea what this means or where it is. Can someone walk me thru it? I need jailbreak for dummies!! also, will this let me use flash on ipad?
thanks

Saturdays

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Somewhere in USA
I heard backgrounder has been updated to allow multitasking management in 4.2.1, I would check that out for your backgrounding/multitasking concerns.

vbvr

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I was able to JB my ipad with out any problems. However when I try to connect to itunes, it does not recognize the iPad. Is this normal ?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, it's not normal!

I was able to JB my ipad with out any problems. However when I try to connect to itunes, it does not recognize the iPad. Is this normal ?

Not normal at all, a JBed iPad works just like a non-JBed iPad as far as itunes goes.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
ive been JB on 4.2.1. since redsnow was first released supporting it. its cool I got the few apps I wanted but now I stay away from cydia cause Im afraid its going to make me reboot and its a huge pain in the ass. now that it wont even boot normally I have fight with the thing to get it into DFU mode to boot it with redsnow and it wont work on my mac only my pc. def keeping my iphone 4 at 4.1 til they untether this thing.

twoism

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Been thinking of doing this too, one question though, does re-springing also cause it to go back to a non jailbreak mode just like restarting does?

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Sorry about the tethered rookie question...

Can u install open ssh and winterboard with the tethered jb via redsnow?

Wanna theme and maybe add a tweak or 2...don't think I'll be rebooting to often

Thanks in advance

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Been thinking of doing this too, one question though, does re-springing also cause it to go back to a non jailbreak mode just like restarting does?

No, re-springing the device should not force you to have to re-jailbreak.

jimmy122

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
What did you use for the JB?

I just upgraded my iPad to 4.2.1 and jailbroke via redsnow. I must say that despite the fact the jailbreak is tethered, it's very stable. I don't restart my ipad that often so it's not a huge issue for me. Cydia works great and slowly but surely everything is being updated. The new os is great. My only issue is with multitasking, its stupid that there is no way to choose which apps you want to multitask, instead of multitasking everything and clogging up the tray. When the new untethered jailbreak comes out I will surely upgrade to it, but for now this is working great for me. I must say though, i wont be doing it on my iPhone 4 until the untethered jailbreak is out.

Can you please specify what have you used to jailbreak?

lvpd742

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
I jb'ed my iphone 4 yesterday and its been working fine until I tried to use activator with the double tap of the lock screen clock, put my phone into safe mode and its scaring the ***** out of me, I don't know what to do, can anyone help?

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
I jb'ed my iphone 4 yesterday and its been working fine until I tried to use activator with the double tap of the lock screen clock, put my phone into safe mode and its scaring the ***** out of me, I don't know what to do, can anyone help?

I dont think activator has been updated to work properly with 4.2 yet. That is what could be putting your phone into safe mode. Try restarting and see if it leaves safe mode.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I dont think activator has been updated to work properly with 4.2 yet. That is what could be putting your phone into safe mode. Try restarting and see if it leaves safe mode.

Can't confirm about the iPhone since my iP4 is still on 4.1 but I am running 4.2.1 on my iPad and Activator runs just fine.

Edit: by the way, i am using that exact gesture to activate multiFl0w. Works perfectly.

Ksane

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
Activator works for me on my 4.2 iPad although I did get the warning after install that it wasn't updated. I had a problem with it working with Circuitus (can't ever spell that right!). When I'd use a specific swipe for that app (swipe right on status bar) it would crash to safe mode. I just uninstalled Cirticulous (sp?). I set the swipe right on status bar to bring up the multitask bar and it works fine. I suspect Activator probably conflicts with particular gestures depending on each user's setup. It works 'almost' perfectly :)
Just restart your device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.