Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
mcdermd said:
Second - someone already talked about installing on G4 PB's, etc and getting kernel panics. The solution I used was to install onto an external FW drive (this way I also don't lose my Panther installed HDD to who knows what). Simply open the OSinstall.pkg file from the Tiger disc while in Panther and choose the FW drive as the install point. then select the FW drive as the starup disc in Sys Perfs or hold down Option at startup. Worked like a champ.

Could you provide more detailed instructions on how to accomplish this? I've searched the disk for osinstall.pkg with no luck. Tell me like I'm four :D

-Drew

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
AHDuke99 said:
true, but this is slower than Panther was at WWDC, not only that, here are some differences between the build the developers got and Steve's that he demoed

That is what is different so far, i know it's early but I wanted the same build Steve used and not a clearly older one :(

This build of Tiger is less developed than the build of Panther was last year. The reason being that Panther was almost ready (3-6 months). Tiger has almost a year to go (6-11 months); this build has a lot more work to be done in comparison to last year's Panther buid.

Also, the build Steve demoed may have been built just for the presentation (meaning, important system stuff may have been missing so it didn't lag too much). Most likely anything that wouldn't be needed was cut for speed and to avoid bugs. Any errors would probably be masked. Beachball under some kind of control. All this stuff would add up to a pretty uselss OS if it was for real testing use.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
...wonderful.

Looks like I'll be buying a new machine a mere year after I got this one just to run the new OS.

Guess I better start saving now for that G5... and a monitor... :(

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
neoelectronaut said:
...wonderful.

Looks like I'll be buying a new machine a mere year after I got this one just to run the new OS.

Guess I better start saving now for that G5... and a monitor... :(

Yeah, but it's a GOOD excuse to get a nice shiny new G5 and a matching Display! (drool.....)

Nig.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Works fine with my PowerBook, even though I had to manually install it from System/Installers/Osinstall.mpkg onto my iPod. Seems faster on my my 1Ghz powerbook but I attribute that to the complete freshness of the system more than anything else.

I've made the decision to buy a G5 this fall for me and my girlfriend's studies (TV and film) instead of getting her an iBook (two laptops). So we'll keep sharing computers, but instead of two slow laptops we now get a fast stationary and one laptop.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Those complaining about speed, don't. Tiger will be faster than 10.3 on most tasks when it is released next year. The reason you are seeing the massive speed decreases is because of things like the changed kernel (they got it working, its just not optimised), changes to Quartz to support better QE and Core Image (again, not optimised), changes to support Spotlight, etc. etc. etc.

You should see 10-15% performance increases again over 10.3 when 10.4 GM is released.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
For Panther I got the family pack. I think for this version, I'll just buy a single copy for my G5 and use Panther for my old Macs. I am also split from getting a fully loaded Powerbook or getting that 30 inch display for my G5. I could save some cash by picking the Powerbook. I want both!

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 513
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 407

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
And the last ones

Attachments

• Picture 5.jpg
    Picture 5.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 335
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 348
  • Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 382

bigbarr

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa
tiger seed

Any word on when they will seed tiger to developers who weren't at the WWDC? I'm a select developer. Maybe it will come in the mail with this month's CD!? Any developers with insight, please advise...

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
LimeiBook86 said:
This happens on my PowerBook 12'', 867mhz. I dunno why. It installed on my brother's Clamshell iBook SE but it didn't create a user account for some reason and now I'm stuck.

:(

Here are my Kernel Panic Photos to prove it:
http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/PhotoAlbum37.html

I had this on my PowerMac G4 Sawtooth booting from an internal LG DVD-ROM. Booting from my Pioneer 106 DVD burner imediately stopped the kernel panic. It seems that IDE support in Tiger is somewhat suspect at this stage.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
titaniumducky said:
This build of Tiger is less developed than the build of Panther was last year. The reason being that Panther was almost ready (3-6 months). Tiger has almost a year to go (6-11 months); this build has a lot more work to be done in comparison to last year's Panther buid.

Also, the build Steve demoed may have been built just for the presentation (meaning, important system stuff may have been missing so it didn't lag too much). Most likely anything that wouldn't be needed was cut for speed and to avoid bugs. Any errors would probably be masked. Beachball under some kind of control. All this stuff would add up to a pretty uselss OS if it was for real testing use.

important stuff might have been left out indeed, but why isn't it in our builds? I made that list of things I saw missing from ours compared to what I saw in Steve's, you must admit we have an older build...

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Zaty said:
I'd like to know a bit more about the 150+ new features, so far we've only heard about 10 of them.
All those posters for tiger in WWDC should give your answer... "Redmond, Start Your Photocopiers," or maybe they just changed 140 icons or somthing...:)

T

thejazzman10

i hope that they change the interface of spotlight-it looks way to XP-ish.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Uh.... this is an early build and not nearly as optimized as needed. I read someone saying "but Panther ran faster than this at WWDC" but if you think about it Tiger will be released in a longer time-frame than Panther. I believe Tiger will be just fine. All those bugs you mentioned will obviously be fixed before the gold master.

jimjiminyjim

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2003
Canada
jsw said:
Not exactly on-topic, but related:

I'm thinking of becoming an ADC Select member so I can start fulfilling my year-old promise to my wife to use my G5 to develop software.

However, I don't want to trash everything because of buggy preview software. I very much want to get my hands dirty with it, but I want to be able to "wash off".

Any recommendations (external HD's, etc.) as to a good, clean way to install developer-grade OS and app preview software, then revert or switch to working Panther stuff?

Make an app for Panther where everything is polished. By the time you're done that, Tiger should be out, and you will have fulfilled your promise, shown your act of good faith to your wife, and be able to get your hands dirty with a polished state-of-the-art operating system.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I do the same thing. I have a 250 external with 3 partitions, and that way I have 1 dedicated to the apps I am wokring on and my dev environments. And 2 partitions are for older/newer OS. My main drives are for normal work. Yes,I have to reboot to each new environment, but I have never trashed my system, just a partition.
jsw said:
Not exactly on-topic, but related:

I'm thinking of becoming an ADC Select member so I can start fulfilling my year-old promise to my wife to use my G5 to develop software.

However, I don't want to trash everything because of buggy preview software. I very much want to get my hands dirty with it, but I want to be able to "wash off".

Any recommendations (external HD's, etc.) as to a good, clean way to install developer-grade OS and app preview software, then revert or switch to working Panther stuff?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jimjiminyjim said:
Make an app for Panther where everything is polished. By the time you're done that, Tiger should be out, and you will have fulfilled your promise, shown your act of good faith to your wife, and be able to get your hands dirty with a polished state-of-the-art operating system.

Ah, poo. That's no fun. ;)

It's probably what I'll end up doing, though. However, the whole point of the original post was that I wanted to get my hands dirty with a non-polished version.

And seamuskrat, thanks for the advice.

johnpg

macrumors member
May 21, 2002
I know what the performance issues are about

I installed Tiger on a second hard drive on my Powerbook 1.25ghz last night.

I had my new Tiger drive, my old powerbook drive (Panther, with 60+ gb of data), an AudioVideo firewire drive (with 100gb of data) all connected. I tried to search for files I knew existed but many did not show up. But as I used the system for awhile, more files started to appear in searches. Obviously, it was indexing.

After a couple of hours the searching was a lot better, but performance wasn't so good, as there were metadata processes running taking up a lot of CPU trying to index all of my data. Things got especially bogged down when I set up my imap account, which has LOTS of email. Slowly but surely though, I'd search for someone's name and up would pop a bunch of emails, some documents (including finding stuff based on content, not filename), photos, etc. It does work, but for an upgrade install it's going to take a while to index everything.

This is not as bad as it sounds though. It appears that new files that are added or created on the system are index immediately. Even big ones. For instance I performed a query for an unusual phrase, which I knew was in a pdf file that I didn't have on my hard drive. The search found a file or two, but not the pdf I was thinking of. I then went and downloaded the pdf, and the instant the download was done the pdf showed up in the search results. That's without doing another search, it was a live refresh. This worked with the spotlight window as well as with smart folders.

What I think this means is, there will be an initial performance hit upon upgrading, but once things are indexed everything will be smooth All new files are indexed automatically and will be available instantly (which is what we want). For a new user, he/she would never have to deal with the indexing issue. Even if they were to copy over new data, it would be indexed on-the-fly. Which would explain why file copies in Tiger seem a bit slow to me.

On the subject of email. Mail is now saved as individual messages, not in a large file anymore. Mail will convert your existing mailboxes upon first launch. In my case I didn't have my original mailbox but instead downloaded it via imap.

There are some pre-built smart mailboxes available. One is called "Images" and it will show you all email that has image attachments. This works, but only if you've read the email first. This includes email that has already been cached from the imap server. Now, I *THINK* this might have something to do with the fact that I pulled my email from the imap server and didn't use my existing local mailboxes from my Panther install. But I can't guarantee that. I'm hoping that Apple will fix this and will index this stuff properly when it's cached from the imap server. It's probably a bug. There are other bugs in mail too, but that's to be expected at this point in the development.

One cool feature of mail is that it has a Safari-like bookmarks bar where you can drag mailboxes to. It's more convenient than the drawer, which is still available of course. One thing you can't do however is create a "folder" or mailbox that contains other mailboxes and put in smart boxes inside it. I was hoping to have one folder for my smart searches and put it in the bookmark bar and choose the view from there. As of now you can't do that, and as a result you'll have tons of smart mailboxes in your drawer or bookmark bar taking up space. I hope they remedy this.

There are tons of things missing from this build compared to what Steve showed. For instance there's no way to create a smart folder that has all image files I received in the last week. But I can create one that shows all the image files VIEWED in the last week. There just isn't an option for the other. There are lots of options missing. I was expecting the options on this page: http://www.apple.com/macosx/tiger/spotlighttech.html but they're not there in this build.

Automator is "Pipeline" in this build and is buggy. But it has huge potential. It'll be nice to see how it evolves.

All in all I'm optimistic. It's going to be interesting to see how things evolve.

Cheers,
John

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Chaszmyr said:
Tiger runs very slowly on my 1ghz PowerBook with 256mb RAM. It is usable, but really too slow. In a week or so, I will see if it runs better on my G5.

the problem is that you only have 256MB ram. you need twice that minimum for decent usability with any version of osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.