Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
This story is for anyone that has had a similar experience, and is considering switching to a smaller phone.

I have personally used the following iPhones: Original 8GB, 4s 16GB, 5s 16GB, 6s Plus 128GB, and now SE 128GB.

When the iPhone 6 first was launched, I did not like the design of it. The first time I saw it, I thought it was an Android phone, as it looked like many other phones already out. Comparing the 6 to the very unique looking 4s (my favorite iPhone design), it seemed like Apple lost its originality.

But, I really thought I would like the larger phone design.

My wife broke the screen on her iPhone 5, so I told her I would give her my 5s, and I would get a new iPhone. I decided to give the 6s Plus a try for two reasons, the larger screen size, and the better camera.

I did like the larger size, but only when I could have two hands on it. One handed, the device was almost unusable. The large size and the rounded edges cause the phone to slip out of my hands a lot. Taking one handed photos is not very easy, this I learn while trying to take pictures of my premature baby that was in the NICU. I was holder her with one hand, the phone in the other. The 6s kept slipping out of my hand, or the photos were blurry from too much movement.

The larger size also made it harder to store the phone. I ended up buying a new winter coat to accommodate my phone due to the pocket size of my old winder coat. I started putting the phone in my back jeans pocket due to it being a larger pocket, but then I had to be extra careful not to sit on my phone. In my dress pants I wear for work, it looked like I was trying to smuggle in a small box of contraband.

In my vehicles, the places that I used to store my phone while driving, no longer would accommodate the size of my 6s Plus. I then just started keeping the phone on the passenger seat, and phone would sometimes slide off of it.

My wife refused to make phone calls on my phone due to the size. She has little child-like hands, and she could barely hold the phone.

Another thing I find annoying is the side lock button on the 6s Plus. I hit it all the time by accident, like when adjusting the volume. I understand why it is on the side, but I much prefer it to be on the top.

When my wife broke the screen of the 5s I handed down to her, I bought her the SE which she loves. I was setting up her new SE, and it felt so nice having a smaller sized phone in my hand. I thought about selling my 6s Plus and getting an SE, but the SE largest storage size was 64GB, and I did not want to downgrade the storage.

By the time 128GB SE came out, there were rumors of what is now the iPhone X, which could potentially give me the best of both worlds, flagship phone features and a large screen, but in a small form factor. But with the crazy high price, and the crazy low chances of getting one any time soon, I decided to give the SE a try.

I am one week in, and I have to say that I am happy I downgraded, but there are things I miss about the larger 6s Plus.

First the downsides – I miss the larger screen of the 6s Plus when I am at my desk at work and I am able to have two hands on it. Typing on the SE is a little harder with the smaller keys. Coworkers are noticing that I am using the smaller phone, and they ask me why I downgraded my phone. WiFi signal on the SE is always lower in my bedroom for some reason.

Now the upsides – One Handed Use!!! Squared edges makes it much easier to pick up and hold. Battery life while streaming music seemed like it has gotten better. Top lock button, much better placement. It is cold in the mornings now, and I started using my older winter coat since the phone fits in the pockets. I can discreetly carry the phone in my dress pants.

The pros definitely outweigh the cons so far. For anyone that has a similar experience with the larger sized iPhone, they might want to consider switching to the SE.

When the iPhone Xs (or whatever it will be called) comes out, and I will probably switch to that, but until then, the SE is an awesome design, and I am sure would be an a great phone for anyone that prefers a smaller phone.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Good story. Thanks for sharing.

It sounds like you discovered what many of us have.

Features are wonderful, but ultimately for a lot of users the form factor can matter the most.
It certainly does with me.

Literally the #1 feature for me on the SE is the size.
I care about the size and the camera - all else takes a back seat to that.

(Remember when Apple themselves used to tell us how they spent all that time figuring out that small phones fit human hands the best and that's why we only had 3.5"-4" phones for so long?)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I upgraded from a 6s to a 7+ for the improved camera functions and really enjoyed it for the first couple of months. I got a lot of great shots at my brother's wedding with Portrait mode and a lot of the photos have been printed and framed. I experienced the same thing you did.... tinkered with a friend's SE and there was no going back from there. Traded my 7+ in and got a silver SE.

I really enjoyed the increased portability (and hideability, not a word) but I started to miss 3D touch and the solid state home button. I took the SE back within the return period and came out with a jet black 7 which, IMO is the perfect size. I'm now waiting for my iPhone 5 (running iOS 6) to arrive tomorrow so I have the option to use a 4" phone when it's convenient.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
I find the extra features of the Plus phones more than make up for larger size.

Moral of the story is: YMMV. If I HAD to downsize, I'll downsize to the 8, or the X.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I care about the size and the camera - all else takes a back seat to that.
This was one thing I thought would be better about the 6s Plus, but this was a little disappointing. Majority of photos I take are indoors, and what would probably be considered low light, and there was not any improvement in low light photos when compared to my older 5s camera.

I'm now waiting for my iPhone 5 (running iOS 6)
My favorite iOS. Nice!

I took the SE back within the return period and came out with a jet black 7 which, IMO is the perfect size.
I thought about getting the non-plus sized 7 or 8.

I don't like the 6, 6s, 7, 8 design, but I tried the 6s Plus for the larger screen and camera. If I would try the non-plus size, I would lose the stuff I liked about the 6s Plus, while still dealing with many of the things I didn't like about the Plus model.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
My favorite iOS. Nice!

Same. I received one I ordered on eBay a couple of weeks back but the logic board was bad and it wouldn't stay on for more than a couple of minutes at a time. So painful to have to send it back after how long it took me to find one at a reasonable price. Nice thing is the first one was silver and after returning that one I was able to find one in slate which was what I wanted to begin with.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I don't like the 6, 6s, 7, 8 design

That is the other thing..
I really just don't care for the current aesthetic (not counting the X here) at all.

I thought the 4-5-SE series had a very unique and high quality look and feel (man the 4 was amazing...) - almost like a fine timepiece (the 4 mainly) and I guess I'm just getting old, because I feel like the newer ones just keep getting more generic looking/feeling. I could easily mistake an 8/8+ for an Android Flagship and it just does nothing for me.

..plus I really love flat sides like the 4/5/SE's all have. Just feels amazing in hand.

Reactions: Juicy Box

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
That is the other thing..
I really just don't care for the current aesthetic (not counting the X here) at all.

I thought the 4-5-SE series had a very unique and high quality look and feel (man the 4 was amazing...) - almost like a fine timepiece (the 4 mainly) and I guess I'm just getting old, because I feel like the newer ones just keep getting more generic looking/feeling. I could easily mistake an 8/8+ for an Android Flagship and it just does nothing for me.

..plus I really love flat sides like the 4/5/SE's all have. Just feels amazing in hand.

I agree with everything you said.

While I do think that the aesthetics of my 4s, 5s, and now SE are nicer and more unique than the newer 6, 7, and 8, I also think the design of the older models are functionally better and more user friendly.

I mentioned some stuff already such as size advantages, squared edges that make it easier to hold and pick up, that they can be easily used one handed, and that the lock button is on the top and not opposite the volume buttons on the side.

I could also add that the older models have no camera bump, sits flat on a table, and can also sit on its side if needed.

I could easily mistake an 8/8+ for an Android Flagship and it just does nothing for me.
This is what I said about the iPhone 6 on its event day. When I had some free time, I jumped on MR to check out the new iPhone, and when I first saw the iPhone 6, I thought it was an Android phone.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I am waiting for the SE2 before I "downgrade" as I spent 1k on my 7+. :rolleyes: Thing is, I do not use all the bells and whistles on it and realized that after the return window (also did not look at the SE long enough which would have been better for my vision.) Also, I'd prefer one handed use (I used to write stories all the time during the commutes on my iP5, I miss that size.)

I appreciate threads like these. Understanding my usage and needs now, it's clear going forward, I will buy the cheapest and most comfortable iPhone that works with my vision etc. I'd rather put that extra money into my next Mac. I just would like slightly updated internals and a better screen for the SE2.

OP, enjoy your SE.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I have different phones in different screen sizes, so I don't necessarily have a favorite size.

iPhone SE, 4"
Moto E2, 4.5"
HTC One M7, 4.7"
Xiaomi Mi 3, 5" (retired, 3G only)
LG G3 Beat, 5" (retired, 3G only)
LG G5, 5.3"
LG V20, 5.7"

Sold my Lumia 640 (5"), Pixel (5") S7 edge (5.5"), and Note 3 (5.7"). I didn't think I could adjust phablets that fast but I did. Because it took me awhile handling HTC One coming from an iPhone 4 (3.5") and Nexus One (3.7"). Each size has their pluses and minuses.

For anything at 5.3" or higher, I type faster on it and prefer using it to watch videos. For anything smaller than my HTC One, one-handed usage is the best as you can reach all four corners of the display.

I didn't think I would adjust going back to iPhone SE but I did. It took awhile to type fast on it. Still a struggle but it's like riding a bike where you won't forget.

Since I do DoorDash, I like holding it to show to the cashier the order and let them hold it sometimes. Easier to grip. Worried if the cashier would drop the phone if it was any bigger.

Right now, typing on my V20 because I prefer SwiftKey more on Android. G5 at 5.3" is my favorite to type on because for some reason the touch screen is more responsive and UI feels smoother. Weird since they are both LG but that's the truth. G5 is also not as heavy and wider. 5.3" is my sweet spot.

For me, it really depends what I'm actually doing. I treat them like children where they each have a specific chore to do during the day. I can't use just ONE phone all day because doing DoorDash requires at least THREE phones for me. I would need to charge them in my car and I'm worried if it kills my car battery faster. I also use my SE and Moto E as GPS since they are easy to fit in my cheap ac dock in my car.

Daily drivers for a DD driver like me
LG G5 (phone/Wi-Fi hotspot), left holster
Apple iPhone SE (browser), right holster
Motorola Moto E (GPS), car
LG V20, car (occasionally)
Sony PS Vita w/ 64gb, car (occasionally)

I said it before in that Pixel 2 thread that I would scour the Earth to find every last removable battery to power up my G5 and V20 until my dying days! Removable battery for life! The rest become e-waste.

I also prefer Android as a media player since MX Player and GPlayer (has PiP feature) can play multiple video formats and has torrent apps. I find iTunes to be a bottleneck for iOS as I prefer a file manager.

Any phone won't last all day because tethering and location services turned on drains battery very quickly. So my G5 tethers for my Moto E. And I browse on the SE if say I go to a library with free Wi-Fi because if I browse on the G5, battery would drain faster.

For some reason, my SE has the longest battery life on Wi-Fi but if I tether it asking me to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it drains faster and my other phones don't always connect as quickly. G5 has longer battery life for tethering and doesn't get as hot. I still carry SE around as a backup GPS/Browser in case Google Maps messes me up or my Moto E is drained. I do like Apple Maps' design better.

Like I said before, I have tried many phones and concurrently. None of them are perfect at everything. Some do certain tasks better than others. I love my iPhone SE for when I enter the restaurant to show the order and as an iPod. Internal audio on iPhones has always been excellent. The smaller, the better when working out or running.

Top 3 All-Time Favorites
LG G5
LG V20
Apple iPhone SE

If I got the X to complete the SE-X, it would only rank #3 or #4 because I don't like glass rears and iOS11 is ugly. Face ID is worrisome. I also prefer Android that has removable battery, microSD slot, wide-angle for more EPIC travel photos and inside musuems, and IR blaster more.

My Pixel and S7 edge used to rank high but I feel iPhone X will be better than them both. SE even with the matte chamfered edges still looks better than the iPhone X in any color.

Best video ever for switching to iPhone SE. Love the camera angles and love it ONLY in space gray. White fronts are distracting without enough black borders...

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
I am waiting for the SE2 before I "downgrade" as I spent 1k on my 7+. :rolleyes: Thing is, I do not use all the bells and whistles on it and realized that after the return window (also did not look at the SE long enough which would have been better for my vision.) Also, I'd prefer one handed use (I used to write stories all the time during the commutes on my iP5, I miss that size.)

I appreciate threads like these. Understanding my usage and needs now, it's clear going forward, I will buy the cheapest and most comfortable iPhone that works with my vision etc. I'd rather put that extra money into my next Mac. I just would like slightly updated internals and a better screen for the SE2.

OP, enjoy your SE.
Good post and thanks.

I too was waiting for a new SE model, but not knowing when or if it will ever happen helped my decision of getting the current model.

You have it worse than me though, considering you have a 7+. The current SE has very similar specs to my old 6s Plus, so I was not giving up too much to downgrade.
[doublepost=1508518526][/doublepost]
Yeah… I just find the ergonomic one to be a more egregious flip-flop.
Yea, this is true.

It's one of the reasons I never understand why people defend everything Apple does or says…
It is annoying.
I remember when I made a post about the bugs on the ATV4 at launch a few years ago, the crazy Apple defenders started to attack.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm really a big fan of posts like this. I recently upgraded to the 8+ and even though I love the camera features and screen, I still have really yet to get used to the size of the phone. While I'm able to put my 7 and SE comfortably in any jean/dress pant pocket, with my 8+ I usually carry it around in my hand. And forget about using the phone one handed if you are typing an email or text.

It really makes me think do I really need the latest and greatest from a device? (as I type this I'm contemplating selling my 8+ and 7 and just using my SE until I get my hands on the X).

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
(and hideability, not a word)

Mr Webster would like a word with you:

42542384-603D-4B92-A658-EAC7B899E937.png

[doublepost=1508521011][/doublepost]
And forget about using the phone one handed if you are typing an email or text.

04920FF6-7BB0-482E-BCCA-F25863F1857C.jpeg

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Remember when "small" and "top end" didn't have to be opposites?

So frustrating that they don't see the value of a smaller and yet still flagship device.

Small does not need to equal "cheap" or "developing world phone"

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 23, 2014
And forget about using the phone one handed if you are typing an email or text.

At least for me, the issue isn't just due to location of the keys, but also having to lift your thumb off of the phone to move to the next button. It is harder for me to balance the Plus size phone while moving my thumb around. Of course it is possible, but it makes it more unreliable for pressing the intended button, and it increases the chance of dropping the phone, especially if in a crowded place and being bumped into. I feel like I have much more control and confidence with the smaller SE than the larger Plus.

Now, when I can have two hands on it, I prefer my Plus, as I can safely enjoy all the benefits of having the larger screen.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
Remember when "small" and "top end" didn't have to be opposites?

So frustrating that they don't see the value of a smaller and yet still flagship device.

Small does not need to equal "cheap" or "developing world phone"

I don't think Apple is to blame for this.

They create what the market demands from the sales of their larger brethren, the market demands larger phones.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
They create what the market demands from the sales of their larger brethren, the market demands larger phones.

That's the whole point.
There's a market for both actually.

Even they were surprised by it.
I just hope they use that surprising data and keep the smaller phone crowd up to date over time.

Reactions: furettolo

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think it really comes down to iPhone users need to find what works for them. I really don't think there such thing as an upgrade or downgrade depending on what somebody uses for features or capabilities. Everybody uses the phone differently in a different manner. The comfortability is the most important part of a phone, no matter how advanced it is.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
That is why I believe Apple having multiple phones for sale that appeal to different people is great. I use a SE for work a lot and the size and form factor make it great. At home I prefer my 8. Great to have options.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
they do having pricing that appeals to all pretty much

350 - SE
450 - 6s
550 - 7
699 - 8
999 - X

add $100 to the plus models of 6s/7/8

hendrilei

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
I have different phones in different screen sizes, so I don't necessarily have a favorite size.

iPhone SE, 4"
Moto E2, 4.5"
HTC One M7, 4.7"
Xiaomi Mi 3, 5" (retired, 3G only)
LG G3 Beat, 5" (retired, 3G only)
LG G5, 5.3"
LG V20, 5.7"

Sold my Lumia 640 (5"), Pixel (5") S7 edge (5.5"), and Note 3 (5.7"). I didn't think I could adjust phablets that fast but I did. Because it took me awhile handling HTC One coming from an iPhone 4 (3.5") and Nexus One (3.7"). Each size has their pluses and minuses.

For anything at 5.3" or higher, I type faster on it and prefer using it to watch videos. For anything smaller than my HTC One, one-handed usage is the best as you can reach all four corners of the display.

I didn't think I would adjust going back to iPhone SE but I did. It took awhile to type fast on it. Still a struggle but it's like riding a bike where you won't forget.

Since I do DoorDash, I like holding it to show to the cashier the order and let them hold it sometimes. Easier to grip. Worried if the cashier would drop the phone if it was any bigger.

Right now, typing on my V20 because I prefer SwiftKey more on Android. G5 at 5.3" is my favorite to type on because for some reason the touch screen is more responsive and UI feels smoother. Weird since they are both LG but that's the truth. G5 is also not as heavy and wider. 5.3" is my sweet spot.

For me, it really depends what I'm actually doing. I treat them like children where they each have a specific chore to do during the day. I can't use just ONE phone all day because doing DoorDash requires at least THREE phones for me. I would need to charge them in my car and I'm worried if it kills my car battery faster. I also use my SE and Moto E as GPS since they are easy to fit in my cheap ac dock in my car.

Daily drivers for a DD driver like me
LG G5 (phone/Wi-Fi hotspot), left holster
Apple iPhone SE (browser), right holster
Motorola Moto E (GPS), car
LG V20, car (occasionally)
Sony PS Vita w/ 64gb, car (occasionally)

I said it before in that Pixel 2 thread that I would scour the Earth to find every last removable battery to power up my G5 and V20 until my dying days! Removable battery for life! The rest become e-waste.

I also prefer Android as a media player since MX Player and GPlayer (has PiP feature) can play multiple video formats and has torrent apps. I find iTunes to be a bottleneck for iOS as I prefer a file manager.

Any phone won't last all day because tethering and location services turned on drains battery very quickly. So my G5 tethers for my Moto E. And I browse on the SE if say I go to a library with free Wi-Fi because if I browse on the G5, battery would drain faster.

For some reason, my SE has the longest battery life on Wi-Fi but if I tether it asking me to turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, it drains faster and my other phones don't always connect as quickly. G5 has longer battery life for tethering and doesn't get as hot. I still carry SE around as a backup GPS/Browser in case Google Maps messes me up or my Moto E is drained. I do like Apple Maps' design better.

Like I said before, I have tried many phones and concurrently. None of them are perfect at everything. Some do certain tasks better than others. I love my iPhone SE for when I enter the restaurant to show the order and as an iPod. Internal audio on iPhones has always been excellent. The smaller, the better when working out or running.

Top 3 All-Time Favorites
LG G5
LG V20
Apple iPhone SE

If I got the X to complete the SE-X, it would only rank #3 or #4 because I don't like glass rears and iOS11 is ugly. Face ID is worrisome. I also prefer Android that has removable battery, microSD slot, wide-angle for more EPIC travel photos and inside musuems, and IR blaster more.

My Pixel and S7 edge used to rank high but I feel iPhone X will be better than them both. SE even with the matte chamfered edges still looks better than the iPhone X in any color.

Best video ever for switching to iPhone SE. Love the camera angles and love it ONLY in space gray. White fronts are distracting without enough black borders...

Do you know any 4 inch phone apart fron SE ?

Thx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.