Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
Hi everyone!
My iPhone X screen dims on its own for about 10 minutes then gets brighter all on its own when on heavy use or poor 3G signal. When it happens iPhone gets hot a bit and brightness going to about 50%
All my screen auto brightness features are off. I’m using iOS 11.4.1. I found that my wifes iPhone 7 dims aswell under heavy use.
ANY THOUGHTS ON WHATS CAUSING THIS, OR IS IT iOS 11 BUG ???

Thanks for help :)

Reactions: v3nt

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
Due to battery getting too hot is reason for lights to dim.. Safety measure I believe
Yes, i found that screen dims when battery gets hot or even warmer. Thats a strange feature because when navigate car and its hot outside screen dims and nothing you can do or even see. You have to wait until phone gets cooler :/

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
Are you using a case? If so that could be holding the heat in. It is a feature, not a defect, when it dims the screen to protect itself against heat damage.
Yes i’m using case but its very light and thin silicone case as Ringke Air. You think that it could be a reason why iPhone X getting hot often than without?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I wonder how hot the phone must get to yield such a warning?

I’ve only seen screen shots of the “too hot warning” online but never had one in 9 years of using an iPhone.

The other day I was using my iPhone X outside in 95 degree heat for a long period of time and it got so hot I could hardly touch the back. But still didn’t shut off and no warning.
[doublepost=1532701679][/doublepost]
Yes i’m using case but its very light and thin silicone case as Ringke Air. You think that it could be a reason why iPhone X getting hot often than without?

I have never used a case on any of my iPhones and never suffered from performance issues due to heat.

Not saying case or no case matters but I am saying I don’t use cases and my phone never got “too hot” to function.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002

Dimming starts at 103°F. Screen can become almost too dim to see at 113°F.

The rule of thumb is: if the iPhone feels hot in your hand- it's too hot. Warm is ok. The black faced Plus iPhone's are really succeptible to heat soak when using them in direct sunlight.

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland

I’ve only seen screen shots of the “too hot warning” online but never had one in 9 years of using an iPhone.

The other day I was using my iPhone X outside in 95 degree heat for a long period of time and it got so hot I could hardly touch the back. But still didn’t shut off and no warning.
[doublepost=1532701679][/doublepost]

I have never used a case on any of my iPhones and never suffered from performance issues due to heat.

Not saying case or no case matters but I am saying I don’t use cases and my phone never got “too hot” to function.
Depends on what case you using, i really doubt that thin and light silicone one could make some performance issues of the any iPhone. Problem is that stainless steel of the iPhone X getting hot outdoors in bright sunny days more quicker than aluminum iPhones due to different material components.

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Depends on what case you using, i really doubt that thin and light silicone one could make some performance issues of the any iPhone. Problem is that stainless steel of the iPhone X getting hot outdoors in bright sunny days more quicker than aluminum iPhones due to different material components.

i thought my iphone x was damage but it seems related to heat. this happens why im charging my phone in my car with a 2amp charge while using the phone to tether to my tablet. it get pretty warm and screen dim

Reactions: ipx666

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
i thought my iphone x was damage but it seems related to heat. this happens why im charging my phone in my car with a 2amp charge while using the phone to tether to my tablet. it get pretty warm and screen dim
Yep, it does like that. Mine too and everyone on the planet earth.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Same thing happened to phones during Ingress. A gps mobile game that was heavy on resources. My 6s+ screen would dim when phone got hot after playing outside in the sun for a bit. Other phones seemed to do the same thing. Annoying when you need to see the screen at important times but I figure it helped keep the battery life up.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
Same thing happened to phones during Ingress. A gps mobile game that was heavy on resources. My 6s+ screen would dim when phone got hot after playing outside in the sun for a bit. Other phones seemed to do the same thing. Annoying when you need to see the screen at important times but I figure it helped keep the battery life up.
I’ve tested Samsung Galaxy S9 with Waze Nav app for 3 hrs on full brightness in very bright, hot and sunny day, screen not even dimmed at ones even when device was very warm. Then i tried iPhone X....after 15 minutes on full brightness screen dimmed :/
I understand when software keeps hardware safe, but this?! This is pathetic.

Reactions: 0924487

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I’ve tested Samsung Galaxy S9 with Waze Nav app for 3 hrs on full brightness in very bright, hot and sunny day, screen not even dimmed at ones even when device was very warm. Then i tried iPhone X....after 15 minutes on full brightness screen dimmed :/

I didn't get to test the S9, but I know when we were doing Ingress regularly (we've since retired) - the Samsung phones were much less visible in the sun than the iPhones, especially once the heat set in, but that was back in the day of the 6+, 6s+. If the S9 does better, then that may be the phone for you. :)

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
when u mean other phones. u mean other iphones? cause this has never happen to me with other phone. i have had the galaxy s7 plus, s8+, pixel 2xl, note 8, gs9+ non do this.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
when u mean other phones. u mean other iphones? cause this has never happen to me with other phone. i have had the galaxy s7 plus, s8+, pixel 2xl, note 8, gs9+ non do this.

Other phones in my case - on our Ingress team, we had Samsung S4, Nexus 6, Note 3, S6 --- a lot of iPhone 5, 6+, 6, 6s, 6+. Mostly Android tho, and older Android phones. I know iPhones were a lot easier to see in sunlight back in the day. But I quit Ingress years ago so my statements apply to phones before the S7, S8, Pixel phones. I actually used a Nexus 7 tablet tethered to my iPhone. :)

The last Android phone I got to really test was the Pixel and Nexus 6. Nexus 6 was just horrific to use outdoors. Pixel was better but I didn't get to spend more than a day with it so I can't really comment on it.

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
No other phone than iPhone is for me. I hate android os.
[doublepost=1532879204][/doublepost]
I mean iPhone X and iPhone 7 have the same issue

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

Your only choice is to move on to another brand as it is not going to change.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yep, it does like that. Mine too and everyone on the planet earth.
Hmm. Currently have an iPhone X and this screen dimming never happened to me when using waze for 6+ hours straight. Yes phone was very warm, only problem with mine is that charging stops if the phone is way too warm. But of course that is expected.

ipx666

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Poland
Hmm. Currently have an iPhone X and this screen dimming never happened to me when using waze for 6+ hours straight. Yes phone was very warm, only problem with mine is that charging stops if the phone is way too warm. But of course that is expected.
Try to use your phone on a full brightness with auto-brightness off, when poor network coverage and then play some games or watch any HD movie, then you’ll see ;)

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015

The iPhone X can hit 800 nits full screen brightness, literally double the S9. Much more power consumption from the X in that case.
[doublepost=1532958047][/doublepost]Y’all, just look at these power consumption figures to understand why this happens. AMOLED is a completely different animal and is EXTREMELY power hungry with white fonts and backgrounds like 80% of iOS usage is.

Full brightness on a white background is 3.25 Watts! Insane. The LCD Plus model for comparison is 1.5 Watts with the same setup.

My advice is to turn off auto brightness on the iPhone X and that issue won’t come up near as often.

Attachments

• EEA17B66-0DC5-4226-AE06-8F3F03345D74.png
    EEA17B66-0DC5-4226-AE06-8F3F03345D74.png
    617.5 KB · Views: 1,449

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
All the recent iPhones I've had wearing the Apple Leather case have done this at one time or another, usually it when I'm outside during a hot sunny day.

Reactions: ipx666
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.