Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Hi everyone!
My iPhone X screen dims on its own for about 10 minutes then gets brighter all on its own when on heavy use or poor 3G signal. When it happens iPhone gets hot a bit and brightness going to about 50%
All my screen auto brightness features are off. I’m using iOS 11.4.1. I found that my wifes iPhone 7 dims aswell under heavy use.
ANY THOUGHTS ON WHATS CAUSING THIS, OR IS IT iOS 11 BUG ???

Thanks for help :)
It happens on all iOS devices to prevent any heat damage to the processor and other internals. It’s absolutely normal.

thouartbacon

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2019
No other phone than iPhone is for me. I hate android os.
[doublepost=1532879204][/doublepost]
I mean iPhone X and iPhone 7 have the same issue

Ipod 6g has the same problem. it sucks cuz these ipods get so hot, they dim almost instantly after opening a game and playing for 15 mins

Steinview

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2019
I recently had this issue and had no idea why the IPhone X kept dimming. I took it into Apple stores 4 times (reset settings, reset all, replace display, replace phone) and not once did any tech mention this might be due to the temp of the iPhone. Any case used in the
Sun or battery that warms it up a little during charging will cause the display to
dim (ie the new Mophie for iPhone X) . If other Android phones work better , I might actually have to switch now since there is no way to disable this protection feature!

evoga

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
My iPhone X has only just started doing this after having it since release. Also started stuttering and getting hot which it hasn’t done before and this is with the same otterbox case on It.

At least there is the android os on the horizon without google on it so at least there is an option to change in the future.

Mrazzle

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2015
Seattle, WA
Yes, i found that screen dims when battery gets hot or even warmer. Thats a strange feature because when navigate car and its hot outside screen dims and nothing you can do or even see. You have to wait until phone gets cooler :/

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me! Driving home and have Waze up, and all of a sudden it instantly clicks down in brightness, and I check the control center slider. All the way up. and then I fuss with the slider to see how far down the slider the brightness actually changes. Seems to be about 30% brightness that it goes to.

I will keep in mind the heat on my drive home today, to see if that is the case. Right now I also have Zoom enabled, for when I want to tap on the screen three times with three fingers and select 'low light' for any movie theatre phone use. That was my next try. Will try that to see if it affects anything.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
Been a while since anyone responded here. I had the same issue yesterday and missed my exit - couldn’t see Apple Maps map. Fidgiting around with it nearly caused me to have an accident.
Now I am thinking I will buy a vent clip instead of the window mount. Hopefully the cool air, or any air, blowing on it will cool it down enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.