Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
Jumped the gun a bit, eh?

Doesn't seem to be processed as of yet!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-06-16 at 9.15.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-16 at 9.15.50 PM.png
    396.9 KB · Views: 129

hitteam

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
Thousand Oaks, California
Thanks for the detail unboxing video, is there any different with heat issue on the new Macmini since the power supply is buildin now. I have a Apple TV with buildin power supply too, its running hot all time.... I hope this won't happen at the new Jun-2010 Mac.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
It's getting there, should be done soon :).

Wow, that was a really nice review! Great job. I like how you compared the dimensions with the previous generation and with the  TV.

Very informative also, it's a really neat idea that  came up with to open that sucker up, no more putty knife! :)

UPDATE: Why didn't the sound transfer to your TV at boot up? You were using HDMI, right?

Aug 26, 2008
Can you compare usage to the last mac mini? I am currently using a Mac Mini 2009, 4 gigs of ram. It feels pretty sluggish at times. I know the CPU's are basically identical, but would be curious if the graphics help the "feel" at all, or if perhaps you get better disk performance (I get a lot of beach balls and hang ups from the HDD it seems).

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Wow, that was a really nice review! Great job. I like how you compared the dimensions with the previous generation and with the  TV.

Very informative also, it's a really neat idea that  came up with to open that sucker up, no more putty knife! :)

UPDATE: Why didn't the sound transfer to your TV at boot up? You were using HDMI, right?

The mac wasn't yet configured to output the audio through HDMI. I had to go to Settings to select the audio output from internal speakers to HDMI.

Thanks for the detail unboxing video, is there any different with heat issue on the new Macmini since the power supply is buildin now. I have a Apple TV with buildin power supply too, its running hot all time.... I hope this won't happen at the new Jun-2010 Mac.

It runs EXTREMELY cool, much cooler than an Apple TV. I just took its temperature using an IR thermometer and I got 86F, much cooler than the 120F the Apple TV runs at.

Can you compare usage to the last mac mini? I am currently using a Mac Mini 2009, 4 gigs of ram. It feels pretty sluggish at times. I know the CPU's are basically identical, but would be curious if the graphics help the "feel" at all, or if perhaps you get better disk performance (I get a lot of beach balls and hang ups from the HDD it seems).

I had the 2.26GHZ mini with 4GB or RAM and the performance is slightly better, but I never really pushed these computers since they serve as Home Theater PCs. The mini does indeed use a 5,200RPM HDD (like a MacBook) so it will operate a bit more slowly. To be honest, I don't think you'll see a significant performance difference from what you have.

Have you taken the gpu for a spin with any games?

No gaming yet, barely had time to use it, but I look forward to testing!

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks, I can't seem to find any other new Mac mini unboxing vids. I plan to do one or two more on it, hopefully this weekend. This video generated allot of questions I want to answer.

Gonna put it back in the box and do it again? :D:D

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Cool! Thanks - but you typod. Hard drive upgradable to 500GB not MB

Also I think you should also point out that you can't upgrade the processor yourself, but can get it BTO from the Apple Store as the CPU is soldered to the system board. You're kinda implying that its a ZIF socket and can be easily swapped out.

pac

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hmmm i dont know it has everything ,but no white top any more and again the price is high for such a small box without monitor, keyboard or mouse £649 for the base that are $961 for the people in the us :(
but good news because the new mini is out with a brandnew design ..like it or not , but now the older intel minis will come down to a realistic price which might be sad news for people who want to sell to get a new one , but good for the buyers ;)

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I like your vid, it explains a lot.

did you ever figure out why the sound didn't play through your tv speakers?

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Cool! Thanks - but you typod. Hard drive upgradable to 500GB not MB

Also I think you should also point out that you can't upgrade the processor yourself, but can get it BTO from the Apple Store as the CPU is soldered to the system board. You're kinda implying that its a ZIF socket and can be easily swapped out.

pac

Yeah, I can't believe the typo I made! I reviewed this thing a hundred times before I sent it up and missed it. And I just assume everybody knows the CPU can't be swapped out ;).

I like your vid, it explains a lot.

did you ever figure out why the sound didn't play through your tv speakers?

You have to go to the Settings Panel, and under Sound you can select output devices, there you will see the option to select the HDMI audio. Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I turn it on, which is getting annoying. There must be away to change the default from Internal Speaker to HDMI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.