Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncc1701d

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2008
Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I turn it on, which is getting annoying. There must be away to change the default from Internal Speaker to HDMI.
wow, this is a worry. Have you figured out if you can set it as default yet?

nzreg

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
Could you confirm for me wether or not you have to press the button on the rear of the unit every time you want to user it.
I am currently using an AppleTV and like the fact that its alway ready for use.
Any fix yet for having to set the sound to hdmi every time.
Thanks in advance

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I turn it on, which is getting annoying. There must be away to change the default from Internal Speaker to HDMI.

Ugh...!!! Man, how crap is that?

Are you sure? Have you worked-out another way of doing it?

Hah...! I've just looked up. Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this blows.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
You have to go to the Settings Panel, and under Sound you can select output devices, there you will see the option to select the HDMI audio. Unfortunately, I have to do this every time I turn it on, which is getting annoying. There must be away to change the default from Internal Speaker to HDMI.

Try setting it to HDMI in the Audio MIDI Setup utility.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

I also have the new Mac mini and I do NOT have to do this. So this isn't happening to everyone.

DetroitBORG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Could you confirm for me wether or not you have to press the button on the rear of the unit every time you want to user it.
I am currently using an AppleTV and like the fact that its alway ready for use.
Any fix yet for having to set the sound to hdmi every time.
Thanks in advance

No, you don't have to turn it on and off, you could leave it on all the time or configure the power settings to put the Mac mini to sleep after a period of inactivity, it will wake up again if you send an IR command to the Mac.

As for the HDMI audio not defaulting, I haven't had a chance to discover the issue, it may be the fact that the A/V Receiver it's attached to is turned on after the Mac mini is booted. The problem doesn't re-occur if the mini wakes from sleep mode for example.

dh2005

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
I don't have much knowledge of Apple from the consumer end... if this is a problem, can Apple be relied-upon to issue a patch ASAP? After all, it won't take much programming to resolve.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
So it seems other people dont have the problem of setting every time the audio via HDMI on the new mini. Great news.

Mr.T

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
My mac mini just arrived, and I had everyone in my office gathered around watching my unboxing :)

This ting is seriously tiny. I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.