Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
First off I'd like to thank everyone her for their help in a computer choice in the past several months. I decided on the 17 inch iMac and it is a stellar machine. Also I wanted to thank all the avid posters for teaching me what I know about Apple, the mac platform, and the bussiness as a whole. Now that thats out of the way....

I'd like to discuss what I see as a very critical time frame for Apple corp. and the industry as a whole. From what I have read, and learned, this is what I see (and want) to occur in the next several months:

Third week of October:
New Powerbooks with a 1ghz and a 1.2ghz processor; the 1.0 ships immediately, the 1.2 four weeks; all support bluetooth built in and have 64mb mobility ATI Radeon 9000 video cards; optional external superdrive: with powerbook $299; 166 front side bus; ddr ram

New Screens: the product line is slimed to three (much like all other platforms)

A 17 inch widescreen with resolution equal to 17 inch iMac; 100$
discount when purchased with new powermac or powerbook: 699$

A 20 inch widescreen with the best resolution in industry; 100$
discount when purchased with new powermac or powerbook: 1499$

A 23 inch widescreen model with applicable res.; 200$ discount: 2199$

Second Week of November:
New iBooks: 700mhz and 800mhz G4, bluetooth, 32mb videocard;
13inch widescreen $1399 and $1799

iPhone (orriginally set for MWSF) 149$; 3G; Bluetooth; Sony Erikson
network; possible photo+mp3 extension

MWSF:
iMac line updated (all bluetoth integrated)

19 inch widescreen (larger base) 1.25ghz processor; 128mb vidcard
(Gforce 4Ti);100GB hard drive; Superdrive; 166mhz fsb; ddr ram:2199$

17 inch widescreen 1ghz processor; 64mb videocard (ATI Radeon 9000)
80 gb hard drive;superdrive; 166 fsb; ddr ram: 1899$

15 inch widescreen (much like powerbook) 933mhz processor; 32mb
videocard (Gforce 4MX); 60 gb hard drive; superdrive; 133 fsb; SDRAM
1499$

Powermac's updated (G5 announced0
G5-developed by moto produced by moto till May when taken over by
IBM; Speeds start at dual 1.5 ghz; quads possible but unlikely; casing
goes to full steal look

Dual 1.5s: integrated bluetooth, ATI Radeon 9000; fsb ?; ddr ram; superdrive; 80 GB Hard drive: 1699$ (shipping immeadiately)

Dual 1.75ghz: integrated btooth, GForce 4TI; fsb?; DDR Ram; superdrive; 100GB HD: 2299$ (shipping immeadiately)

Dual 2.0 GHZ: integrated btooth, ATI Radeon 9700 PRO; fsb?; DDR Ram; 120 GB HD: $2999 (shipping 4 weeks)

NEW PRODUCT: eBook

less than 5 lbs; 12 inch screen; G4 667; 16mb vid card; btooth; starts at 999$

eMac

G4 800 and 867; current vid cards; superdrive high model, cdrw/dvd low end
starts at: 799$

This is what I see coming. Subsequently there will be new powerbooks design wise before MWNY with G5s. Apple will announce 64bit IBM GPULS at conference and will be used by OCTOBER 2003 to coincide with 10.3 launch as 20$ upgrade

So how did I do at my first try? Crazy? Stupid? Just naive? You tell me. Oh and post your ideas as well. I see thi being a great time for Apple. I hope you all agree.

Gregory White

MacBandit

macrumors 604
There will be no new tower update in January. Maybe in February or March and it will be an update only maybe with the G4 7470 chip. There will be no completely new cpu because those chips will not even be ready for use until probably after July.

The new Powerbook will probably max out at no more then 1Ghz with a conservative number more likely at 933. It will not have DDR because of heat issues. The DDR ram being one of many reasons Apple added extra cooling to the new tower.

The new screen line up I see possible is this 17, 19, 22HD, and 24HD. 24 being the new max screen size from Apples supplier. The prices I'm hoping for are something like this $750, $1000, $2200, and 3,300 respectively.

G4s for the iBooks I see as a definite. At what speeds is a big question mark.

Definitely a new device of some sort, what, I don't know.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i would like to see a price decrease on the dual 867 b4 november..but that would never happen :(
and i'dd like to see cheaper emacs, and different themes of emacs just like the classic imac ;)....like one totally graphite lookish or something

Flyers486

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2002
Philadelphia Area, Jersey Side
I didn't realize that ddr ram was part of the heat issue. I thought it was just the processor that triggered that problem. I guess a produt redesign will be necessary to intigrate such features. Does anyone think the next revision of the poermac migh include hot swappabe hard drives like th xserve? that would be a first and a good draw to converts. no need for firewire drives (if a home user).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Flyers486
I didn't realize that ddr ram was part of the heat issue. I thought it was just the processor that triggered that problem. I guess a produt redesign will be necessary to intigrate such features. Does anyone think the next revision of the poermac migh include hot swappabe hard drives like th xserve? that would be a first and a good draw to converts. no need for firewire drives (if a home user).

Why would the processor trigger it? It's the same processors as before except the 1.25s and I don't think they put out that much more heat.

I do think you will see hot swappable drives but not in the fassion one would think. When the next version of Firewire comes out I see internal drives eventually using it. So that will make them hot swappable.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Re: My Predictions for the next couple months (and yours too)

NEW PRODUCT: eBook

less than 5 lbs; 12 inch screen; G4 667; 16mb vid card; btooth; starts at 999$

This sounds good. I think we might see such a product at MWSF. It would be a CD-ROM only system derived from the iBook. However, for it to be a G4, the G3-based iBooks would have to change, so as to be positioned just slightly upscale.

Note that the current iBooks are using 700MHz IBM G3 (Sahara) processors, which I hear perform much better than their MHz would indicate. My guess is that IBM will make some chip with Altivec that Apple will feel comfortable selling as a G4. This is not going to happen in calendar 2002, however.

By mid-2003 we will likely see most of the Apple line transitioning to IBM processors, at a variety of speeds and capabilities.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You guys are being way too optimistic.

New PowerBooks with 1 GHz G4, SuperDrive, and 64 MB Video Card, if we're lucky. New iBook with 800 MHz (+ if they go with a 133 MHz FSB, probably still a G3) and 32 MB Radeon, but probably only if the PowerBook gets a 64.

Maybe intergrated Bluetooth, but probably not until the next itineration.

Eventually new iMacs and eMacs with single 1 GHz G4s and a 133 MHz FSB. New Superdrives, probably in the Towers first, after they come out. But, NO NEW TOWERS!!! Not for awhile anyway. They JUST started shipping the 1.25s, and January isn't that far away.

Hate to be a buzzkill, and I hope I'm wrong.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Too optomistic both speed and price wise. You will be majorly dissapointed if you get your hopes up on 1.2 GHz powerbooks. It could happen, but chances are that it won't happen.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by solvs
You guys are being way too optimistic.

New PowerBooks with 1 GHz G4, SuperDrive, and 64 MB Video Card, if we're lucky. New iBook with 800 MHz (+ if they go with a 133 MHz FSB, probably still a G3) and 32 MB Radeon, but probably only if the PowerBook gets a 64.

Maybe intergrated Bluetooth, but probably not until the next itineration.

Eventually new iMacs and eMacs with single 1 GHz G4s and a 133 MHz FSB. New Superdrives, probably in the Towers first, after they come out. But, NO NEW TOWERS!!! Not for awhile anyway. They JUST started shipping the 1.25s, and January isn't that far away.

Hate to be a buzzkill, and I hope I'm wrong.

Hey you're not killing my buzz at all that's exactly what I said in my response.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
iBook (Soon):

G3 800Mhz or 700mhz G4,
Bus speed to 133mhz if Ti goes higher,
32MB VRAM.

iBook (later): G4, 13" Widescreen, Max Ram of 768MB, Bluetooth etc.

12" iBook becomes the low-end...and maybe even a CD-ROM version for $999.

14" iBook dies and maybe comes back as a SE iBook with better resolution and hopefully a better design...unless the 13" widescreen is the SE model.

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
goes to full steal look
goes to full steal look

i dunno about speeds 'starting' at 1.5ghz - they usually seem to put the top end model to the bottem end so we may end up with something like 1.25ghz, 1.5ghz and 1.7/1.8ghz - hopefully all duel!
I really hope we see IBM power4 chips, Moto just doesnt seem to be goign anywhere fast at the moment!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by xelterran

i dunno about speeds 'starting' at 1.5ghz - they usually seem to put the top end model to the bottem end so we may end up with something like 1.25ghz, 1.5ghz and 1.7/1.8ghz - hopefully all duel!
I really hope we see IBM power4 chips, Moto just doesnt seem to be goign anywhere fast at the moment!

Trust me on this Moto has something up there sleeves. The reason the G4 development hasn't progressed all that much is they have been pooring there time into the development of the next chip G5 or whatever it will be called. I do not think in anycase we will see any of these next generation chip from Moto or IBM until at the very earliest mid year to fall of 2003.

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
so.. we could get another g4 update.. say to 1.5 - 1.6ghzg4 at MWSF then mid-way through the year the g5's are rolled out at 2ghz+ hmmmmmmm....... ill beleive it when i see it ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by xelterran
so.. we could get another g4 update.. say to 1.5 - 1.6ghzg4 at MWSF then mid-way through the year the g5's are rolled out at 2ghz+ hmmmmmmm....... ill beleive it when i see it ;)

I did say at the very earliest. Personally my open oppinion on it is that we will have the G4 until 2004 sometime.

TMJ1974

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
hmmm.....predictions

Well, I don't see an eBook happening...the iBook has been marketed at the education and consumer crowd.....and it's not doing too badly (all things considered). Any eBook would, in my opinion, erode the market for the iBook.

Also, I think the iBook will have the G3 (IBM-Sahara) for some time to come....I don't remember where I saw it, but I read how this chip had lots of life left. I can see a FSB increase though....no DDR RAM in any of the consumer (iBook/iMac/eMac) lines for a while.

I would actually buy the 19" iMac rumor....no evidence, just seems a good market tool to draw interest. I also remember reading somewhere how the base will support a screen up to 21" (weight and balance wise)

PowerBook....I can see faster chips and DDR and even SuperDrive.....Pioneer did anounce a portable DVD-R....we'll see

I don't see any new PowerMacs anytime soon. Quite frankly, I'm not going to consider a new PowerMac until the IBM chip is in there, with DDR system bus, some case front ports (FireWire and USB) wouldn't hurt either.

I would like some software though......the final version of iSync, a new Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro, iTunes with MP4, StarOffice for Mac, version 1.0 of Chimera, .Mac for $49 (forever)

Just my 2 cents....

Tim

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
Re: hmmm.....predictions

Originally posted by TMJ1974
Well, I don't see an eBook happening...the iBook has been marketed at the education and consumer crowd.....and it's not doing too badly (all things considered). Any eBook would, in my opinion, erode the market for the iBook.

Also, I think the iBook will have the G3 (IBM-Sahara) for some time to come....I don't remember where I saw it, but I read how this chip had lots of life left. I can see a FSB increase though....no DDR RAM in any of the consumer (iBook/iMac/eMac) lines for a while.

eBook can't happen since the name has already been taken. However, I can see a 12" iBook with a CD-RW drive selling for $999 once the 13" iBook arrives. Also, a 14" SE model with Better resolution maybe.

Sure, the iBook is aimed at the Student, but I haven't been in school in like 5 years and I actually prefer the size of the 12" iBook to the TiBook. In all fairness, the iBook should be considered a mid-range model...a prosumer model... therefore it needs a G4 processor.

Keep the current G3 12" iBook as the low-end as a CD-RW version only for $999...the reason I say CD-RW is because the iBook doesn't have a floppy...the CD-RW is the new floppy. CD-ROM drives in laptops need to be forgotten at this point.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ebook does not seem likely

g4 towers, imacs, tibooks, and ibooks definitely will go on

emac and crt imac most likely will continue

os x will survive

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Here's what I see (or rather, estimate) in computers, between now and January/Feburary:

eMac

- 867 MHz and 1 GHz G4s
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- 60 GB hard disk
- 32 MB GeForce 4 MX video
- Combo and Superdrive options
- same price as we see now

iMac

- 867 MHz and 1 GHz G4s
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- 60, 80, and 120 GB hard disk options
- 32 MB GeForce 4 MX video
- Combo and Superdrive options (CD-RW is scrapped)
- 19" model introduced, and the 17" trickles down two notches (to the current 15" Superdrive's level)
- the 19" may have a special performance edge (ex. a 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro)
- $1299 for 15" Combo, $1499 for 17" Combo, $1799 for 17" Superdrive, and $1999 for 19" Superdrive

iBook

- 867 MHz G3
- 256 MB of PC133 memory
- 30, 40 and 60 GB hard disks
- 32 MB Mobility Radeon 7500 video
- still CD-ROM and Combo drives
- 13" screen in the current 12" case size
- quite possibly a 14" widescreen model with 1152x768 resolution
- possible redesigned appearance
- same pricing

PowerBook

- 800 MHz and 1 GHz G4s
- 256 MB of PC266 (DDR) memory
- 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9000 video
- Combo and Superdrive options
- possible design change
- similar pricing

PowerMac

- dual 1 GHz, 1.25 GHz and 1.5 GHz G4s
- 256 MB of PC333 (DDR) memory
- 333 MHz DDR system bus
- 60, 80 and 120 GB hard disks
- 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro, 128 MB GF4 Ti, and 128 MB "NV30" (whatever it's named) video options
- Combo and new, faster Superdrive options
- same casing
- same pricing

xelterran

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2001
i do hope apple puts 512mb ram as standard! 256 really isnt enough - especially for the G4 Tower :eek:

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Here's what I'm expecting in october...apple has let me down lately, so I'll set my goals low.

PowerBook
- 800 MHz and 933 GHz G4s
- PC 133 memory
- 32 MB Mobility Radeon 9000
- No superdrive
- bluetooth in airport card
- similar pricing

Then I can be pleasantly surprised when I get the specs I want! :D

imamacguy17

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
Get real

Look at the spymac article from a couple of days ago.

Some big things are going to happen.

1) G5 finally. The double processor and DDR do not creat enough heat to explain the new case design. This is the original G4. Hyper G3. The Original G4 which i have is basically a souped G3 chip with all of the g4 board stuff. The same is the dual power macs. But this time it was called the G4 instead of G5. we will see the new proccessors in october and hear a schedule that says early 2003 (Seybold time frame) but the G5 power mac will be at macworld. Im saying 1.3 (student) 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 initally. DDR faster bus, bluetooth (with mouse and keyboard) and an inkwell input device.

But the big things cant be predicted. We will see 2 ghz in 2003 we may see past that but who knows. I dont im a college kid who loves the mac. No one posting here knows any more than I do. Its all about realistic predictions and no one posting is doing so. There will be a whole lot of things happening in 2003 but what they are I dont have a F@&!ing clue.

mr evil brkfast

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The like to see before the end of the year:

powerbook 867/1GHZ 64 MB ATI 9000; 167 MHZ BUS; 512 MB DDR

imac 867/ 1 GHZ; 133 Mhz BUS; GF4 32 MB 256 MB RAM min

emac 800/867GHZ; 133 Mhz BUS; GF4 32MB 256 Mb RAM min

ibook 800/ 900 G3; 32 MB ATI 7500; 256 MB RAM min

What we'll probably see:

Nothing until January

Powerbook; imac update January

Feb/Mar All new ibook
:(

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Get real

Originally posted by imamacguy17
Look at the spymac article from a couple of days ago.

Some big things are going to happen.

1) G5 finally. The double processor and DDR do not creat enough heat to explain the new case design. This is the original G4. Hyper G3. The Original G4 which i have is basically a souped G3 chip with all of the g4 board stuff. The same is the dual power macs. But this time it was called the G4 instead of G5. we will see the new proccessors in october and hear a schedule that says early 2003 (Seybold time frame) but the G5 power mac will be at macworld. Im saying 1.3 (student) 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 initally. DDR faster bus, bluetooth (with mouse and keyboard) and an inkwell input device.

But the big things cant be predicted. We will see 2 ghz in 2003 we may see past that but who knows. I dont im a college kid who loves the mac. No one posting here knows any more than I do. Its all about realistic predictions and no one posting is doing so. There will be a whole lot of things happening in 2003 but what they are I dont have a F@&!ing clue.

Whatever your taking I got to have some. Talking about dillusional. Apple is not going to refresh there tower line 3 months after the 1.25s shipped sorry the absolute soonest you will see anything would be around March.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.