Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
So frustrated with My Q. I’ve had to reset the hub several times over the past few months. Now it won’t pair with my garage door motor (made by chamberlain by the way) and on top of that Home now says that the “HomeKit” hub is not supported?!?

Any one have tips or tricks to get these set up? My Q is by far the worst HomeKit accessory I’ve ever owned.
3167A01D-8F37-4582-B1BF-38789990AFD1.jpeg

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have had the occasional hiccup with my insignia garage door adapter, but at least it’s a lot cheaper

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So frustrated with My Q. I’ve had to reset the hub several times over the past few months. Now it won’t pair with my garage door motor (made by chamberlain by the way) and on top of that Home now says that the “HomeKit” hub is not supported?!?

Any one have tips or tricks to get these set up? My Q is by far the worst HomeKit accessory I’ve ever owned. View attachment 928881
Is there some kind of warranty on it still? It sounds pretty screwed up in general.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
What model is the hub? It’s kinda like you need to factory reset it and start over maybe...

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
What model is the hub? It’s kinda like you need to factory reset it and start over maybe...

Model MYQ-G0303. I reset both hubs a couple of times. No go. The dang thing takes forever to pair with the motor (we’re talking an hour or more and I have solid WiFi in the garage) so I’m not all that excited about having to do this again.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Model MYQ-G0303. I reset both hubs a couple of times. No go. The dang thing takes forever to pair with the motor (we’re talking an hour or more and I have solid WiFi in the garage) so I’m not all that excited about having to do this again.
I just installed that one in my garage. The setup process was less than smooth so I feel your pain there. Although once it was up and running I haven’t had any problems other than it not showing up in CarPlay. When you say you reset both hubs which other ones are you talking about?

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014

Wait, both hubs? What other hub? There should be only the one hub.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
The MyQ hub and the HomeKit hub.
Unless I’m mistaken, if you have MyQ capable garage door openers you should only need the one MyQ hub even with multiple garage door openers. Maybe that’s throwing things off ??‍♂️

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Unless I’m mistaken, if you have MyQ capable garage door openers you should only need the one MyQ hub even with multiple garage door openers. Maybe that’s throwing things off ??‍♂️
I have a regular chamberlain dumb garage door opener.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Lol. Ok here goes. First photo is the garage door opener. Regular dumb Chamberlain Liftmaster garage door opener (not WiFi, not smart, not MyQ). Second photo is the MyQ hub. That’s needed to make the garage door opener smart. Third photo is the Chamberlin HomeKit hub. That’s needed so MyQ talks to Homekit.

The issue I’m having is that the MyQ hub (second photo) won’t pair with the garage door opener (first photo).

By the way I really appreciate the feedback and ideas so thank you for that.

0E46E97D-E344-4D25-B1A3-3C4F09FB8247.jpeg
CD3C940F-40EA-4A58-99B5-1CB5C88B4C2C.jpeg
FFB15944-5781-485F-B28E-4BA9FFE2556E.jpeg

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Lol. Ok here goes. First photo is the garage door opener. Regular dumb Chamberlain Liftmaster garage door opener (not WiFi, not smart, not MyQ). Second photo is the MyQ hub. That’s needed to make the garage door opener smart. Third photo is the Chamberlin HomeKit hub. That’s needed so MyQ talks to Homekit.

The issue I’m having is that the MyQ hub (second photo) won’t pair with the garage door opener (first photo).

By the way I really appreciate the feedback and ideas so thank you for that.

View attachment 929263 View attachment 929264 View attachment 929265
Ok so this definitely clears up the confusion and it looks like you have the correct devices as far as HomeKit and smart stuff goes. I understand that the ceiling mounted opener and the smart opener are both from the same company, but are you sure they’re compatible? It’s very possible they’re not. I think their website has a compatibility list. I’m not savvy in the ceiling mounted units but this one appears to be an older model compared to the styles I’m seeing in stores today.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
They’re compatible. The entire set up connected and worked for 6 or 7 months. When it was connected it worked great. After the first 6 or 7 months I started having issues and had to reset the hubs. Now the MyQ hub won’t pair with the opener for some reason.

I might bite the bullet and buy a new MyQ hub. See if that’s the problem.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
They’re compatible. The entire set up connected and worked for 6 or 7 months. When it was connected it worked great. After the first 6 or 7 months I started having issues and had to reset the hubs. Now the MyQ hub won’t pair with the opener for some reason.

Ah I see. Sounds like something just went bad. It happens I guess. Had a Logi Circle 2 camera that was working great for months and one day it just stopped. Wouldn’t connect to WiFi. Logi support said most likely a bad WiFi module and sent a new one. Anyway if a new hub doesn’t solve your issue, you always have power of returny. Keep us posted.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014

I’d remove the HomeKit hub entirely at the moment and with it out of the equation work on the myq hub only till it works right again. Have you tried giving it a reserved IP address in your router?

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
So, update. I got it working but I still hate MyQ.

I ended up buying a new MyQ hub. Figured maybe mine went bad. Got home, started the set up process ... same let down. Won’t connect. Over and over again. I must have spent an hour up and down the ladder trying to get the MyQ hub to pair with my garage door opener but no go. I was ready to give up but noticed that the MyQ app has an option to search for codes for none supported brands of openers (reminder that my opener is supported - It’s made by Chamberlin). Fired that up and it connected within 30 seconds o_O! Seriously WTF!

Anyway, it’s up and running. Set up the HomeKit hub and all is right in the world again.

Thank you for the input and suggestions.

Reactions: TonyC28 and Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So, update. I got it working but I still hate MyQ.

I ended up buying a new MyQ hub. Figured maybe mine went bad. Got home, started the set up process ... same let down. Won’t connect. Over and over again. I must have spent an hour up and down the ladder trying to get the MyQ hub to pair with my garage door opener but no go. I was ready to give up but noticed that the MyQ app has an option to search for codes for none supported brands of openers (reminder that my opener is supported - It’s made by Chamberlin). Fired that up and it connected within 30 seconds o_O! Seriously WTF!

Anyway, it’s up and running. Set up the HomeKit hub and all is right in the world again.

Thank you for the input and suggestions.
Outstanding ?

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
I know this is confusing, but there is the "MyQ Home Bridge," which is a physical device sold by Chamberlain to connect the MyQ to Homekit. Is notoriously flaky and hard to set up.

My suggestion would be to try the MyQ2 plugin through "Homebridge" if you can. It's fairly reliable other than having to update the plugin every so often.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I know this is confusing, but there is the "MyQ Home Bridge," which is a physical device sold by Chamberlain to connect the MyQ to Homekit. Is notoriously flaky and hard to set up.

My suggestion would be to try the MyQ2 plugin through "Homebridge" if you can. It's fairly reliable other than having to update the plugin every so often.

He got it working. And actually my home bridge has been rock solid for the last nine months...

Debauch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2013
Yup got it working .... for a couple of days then it died again. No joke. The MyQ hub couldn’t communicate with the door sensor this time and, went it couldn’t reconnect, the MyQ hub disappeared from the App so I have to start the entire set up process all over again.

I ordered an additional WiFi point for the garage to extend my mesh network. Maybe that’ll help. Funny thing is that I have a camera and iDevices plug in the garage that both work great. MyQ ... not so much.

Will test MyQ again after I set up the extra WiFi point.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
You probably don't want to spend more money, but iSmartGate has been rock solid for me after installing back in March. Still even have the original batteries in the sensor. One device connects to the garage door opener and a sensor goes on the door. No hubs or anything, connects to your WiFi.

jljue

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
Brandon, MS
I got tired of constantly changing batteries (once every 2 months) on 3 Insignia garage door openers plus the occasional No Response, despite an access point in the garage, so I replaced the Insignias with an iSmartgate Pro, Apple USB-Ethernet adapter, and 3 wired magnetic sensors. So far, so good, the response time is quick.

I’ve learned that the best HomeKit items are on Ethernet and hub-based, although MyQ was the hub for your garage doors.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I got tired of constantly changing batteries (once every 2 months) on 3 Insignia garage door openers plus the occasional No Response, despite an access point in the garage, so I replaced the Insignias with an iSmartgate Pro, Apple USB-Ethernet adapter, and 3 wired magnetic sensors. So far, so good, the response time is quick.

I’ve learned that the best HomeKit items are on Ethernet and hub-based, although MyQ was the hub for your garage doors.
So it wasn’t just me with the short battery life in the Insignias. Hmm seems like iSmartGate is getting good reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.