Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Apple said 4-6 Weeks. It's been like, 1.5-2weeks since i ordered it on the day they started the recall.
It's so nice to get a free battery when you need it

Just wanted to tell :D

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Nice!

I'm still waiting for mine...when did you submit the online form?

EDIT: Nevermind..I just read the post...stupid me. But that is awesome anyhow.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
I got my MacBook PRO replacement battery a few days ago - it holds a better charge than my last one, although that one had a LOT of use and I got it in March or so....

Free battery = good.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Great. I'm still using my dodgy one as I couldn't face going back to the 10 min run times of the battery that originally came with my PB.

I notice I no longer charge it at home though, only in the office. I guess I can live without the office if push comes to shove :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
LOL I'm still using mine too. :eek: It's been going for three years and it's more than halfway to the great farm in the sky anyway. Although I guess that doesn't mean it couldn't still start a fire. :eek: But I'm impressed that they're coming out so quickly.

Are they 4200 or 4500 or what are they rated?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
So, did Apple send you the "new" replacement battery? I have just submitted the replacement for 3 batteries under this recall program and I want to make sure I don't get short changed with the "refurbished" battery.

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
YS2003 said:
So, did Apple send you the "new" replacement battery? I have just submitted the replacement for 3 batteries under this recall program and I want to make sure I don't get short changed with the "refurbished" battery.

It looks new. Don't know how to tell new from refurbished though.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
How crucial is it that we send in our old batteries? I mean I would love to keep both batteries, have them charged and just carry the extra around just for the sake of it. I know the risk (although super-tiny) of explosions happening but I mean from the Apple side of things, am I legally-bound (take this phrase with a grain of salt) to send my current battery back?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
mckvakk said:
It looks new. Don't know how to tell new from refurbished though.
Have a look in the Power section of System Profiler. It should tell you the battery's cycle count. New will be 0 or 1.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
MistaBungle said:
How crucial is it that we send in our old batteries? I mean I would love to keep both batteries, have them charged and just carry the extra around just for the sake of it. I know the risk (although super-tiny) of explosions happening but I mean from the Apple side of things, am I legally-bound (take this phrase with a grain of salt) to send my current battery back?

Yes, you need to return it. It is like if you have a defective product when you take it back to a brick and mortar store to exchange it you have to return the defective one to get the new one.
It is a liability (and publicity) issue for Apple if they don't collect them all- lets just say you continue to use it and it does catch fire- not only a publicity issue, but I imagine there is someone out there that would try and sue Apple if that happened. Wouldn't hold up in court I don't imagine since Apple could prove they sent a new battery, etc., but would not be press they would want either way.

Send back the battery- your crotch will thank you!!!:eek:

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
MistaBungle said:

I was thinking the same thing, I'd like to keep both batteries (extras typically cost over $100) but since a few have caused fires I'm sure Apple will be sending lots of reminder letters, e-mails, and maybe even a phone call to get that battery back. They want to avoid liability problems. I'll just send it in.

L

Lau

I just got mine this afternoon in the UK. I'd still been using the old one, as I figured it hadn't blown up yet, but it'll be nice to get a-calibratin'. :D

GilGrissom

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2005
flyfish29 said:
Yes, you need to return it. It is like if you have a defective product when you take it back to a brick and mortar store to exchange it you have to return the defective one to get the new one.
It is a liability (and publicity) issue for Apple if they don't collect them all- lets just say you continue to use it and it does catch fire- not only a publicity issue, but I imagine there is someone out there that would try and sue Apple if that happened. Wouldn't hold up in court I don't imagine since Apple could prove they sent a new battery, etc., but would not be press they would want either way.

Send back the battery- your crotch will thank you!!!:eek:
I agree.

I brought a second battery with my PowerBook anyway, really useful.

Submitted the form the other week...hopefully will be quick by the sounds of you lucky few out there, but I'm prepared to wait.

Had a lot of stick about the battery recall, but to be honest I'm rather chuffed about it, my batteries are around 18 months old and will start to lose their charge. Getting fresh new ones now is superb!

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Apple charge 100 Quid for a new battery, a bit steap imo!!!

Mines down to 94% and I've only had it a few weeks :/

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Go Apple! I took my MBP in for the whining and mooing and they replaced the battery for me while it was in. Hmmmmm maybe that's why they had my MBP for 3 weeks, come to think of it

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Here is something weird (somewhat off topic) Why is it that when I remove my battery and just plug the computer in that it takes 10 full seconds to wake up and let me track the cursor??? With a battery in it takes less than 1 second!
Just a weird quirk that I hate now that I don't use the battery in mine much at all.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Just thought I would post that my battery came today. That was fast. Of course, I filled out the form on the very first day.

It's a good thing, because my original battery had depleted to the point that it would no longer put the computer to sleep before it died...it would just DIE. That was scary.

For those wondering, the shipping label contains the following info about what happens if you don't send the battery back:

"If Apple confirms that service is covered but you fail to follow instructions on returning the part, you will be charged a non-return fee of $143.33"

So send your old battery back! The package lists a "recommended due date" of 11/28/2006, so I would guess that you've got a while.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Got mine today as well- I filled it out the first day as well but was later in the day- 5 pm EST.

Now I am just trying to kill my old one and will send it back to apple.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I think mine probably won't be here too soon, since I could not initially register because my battery serial # wasn't initially accepted (and then mysteriously worked several days later). But I hope I'm wrong! ;)

tweakers_suck

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I received my replacement battery today through the exchange program. It is a new battery, however, I had to perform the firmware update. I never had to do that with my original battery. I was kind of bummed to return my original battery. It had only 70 load cylcles and was still rated at 97%. My computer is over 1 1/2 years old, so the battery really had a good run. I treated it excellent.

My new battery is 2% better than my old battery:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.