Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
if there weren't a 4 core BTO i would agree that it opens the possibility to a newer mid range mac ... but with this BTo i think we can forget it for some time

Faraden

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
The average user is usually interested in web, email, organising their pics, listening to music, creating Word documents and tweaking their Facebook profile. The Mini is easily up to the task.

Oh of course its a great little Mac, I am not saying they will add a Low-Mid range Mac but it would be nice for some people. ;)

We will just have to wait and see what they have in store for us, I cant wait. :D

:apple:

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
I highly doubt Apple will release a mid-tower as it would most likely cut into their iMac sales. I might see Apple announcing a revision to the Mac Mini though.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I love the analysts on this thread that say a Mac will never exist. yeah, I said Mac. There's an iMac, there's a Mac mini, there's a Mac Pro, but guess what, there's no "Mac" anymore.

What tickles me the most is the reasoning usually given. I've seen two main reasons. 1) Apple has created the current line and it's worked so it will never be changed. Ever. 2) Creating another product will eat into the sales of the existing products.

Both of these reasons are silly beyond the surface.

1) Apple will change the line or die. They have consistently added products to their line and they will continue to add and remove products in the future. If they don't, eventually nobody will buy their products. What worked last quarter isn't guaranteed to work next quarter. Things change, get over it, move on. It might not happen next week, but you can bet your boots that Apple will eventually fill this gap.

2) Using this logic All we need is the Mac Pro. After all, everything else eats into it's profits. Sounds stupid? You bet it does. Because it is.

I think the time is ripe for a plain old Mac to be added to Apple's line. Frankly, I will be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Faraden

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
I love the analysts on this thread that say a Mac will never exist. yeah, I said Mac. There's an iMac, there's a Mac mini, there's a Mac Pro, but guess what, there's no "Mac" anymore.

What tickles me the most is the reasoning usually given. I've seen two main reasons. 1) Apple has created the current line and it's worked so it will never be changed. Ever. 2) Creating another product will eat into the sales of the existing products.

Both of these reasons are silly beyond the surface.

1) Apple will change the line or die. They have consistently added products to their line and they will continue to add and remove products in the future. If they don't, eventually nobody will buy their products. What worked last quarter isn't guaranteed to work next quarter. Things change, get over it, move on. It might not happen next week, but you can bet your boots that Apple will eventually fill this gap.

2) Using this logic All we need is the Mac Pro. After all, everything else eats into it's profits. Sounds stupid? You bet it does. Because it is.

I think the time is ripe for a plain old Mac to be added to Apple's line. Frankly, I will be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Sounds good to me I hope so too, to say the current line up is 100% static and finished is preposterous. (I like that word :D)

:apple:

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
The average user is usually interested in web, email, organising their pics, listening to music, creating Word documents and tweaking their Facebook profile. The Mini is easily up to the task.

That may be true. It is also true that a large number of consumers feel they *need* more power than they truly do, and will refuse to buy from the low (cheap) end of the line.

And the average user does not have a Facebook profile.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
My theory is so that everyone will just shut up about it already.
My theory is that Apple's stock price has taken a beating in the past couple of days and they wanted to announce something to retard the slide.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
MY theory on why Apple announced the new Mac Pro today:

Apple is releasing a new Mid-tower next week and wants buyers that are hot for the pro to purchase the pro now - rather than potentially re-thing there purtchase when the mid-tower is announced.

Think about it...

-Lumpy-
I only doubt it is because there have been no talk of a mid-tower case at all. Rumors or anything.
Otherwise I wish it would happen.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
  1. They are tired of Windows and want to go Mac.
  2. Know in their hearts that a Mac Mini is perfectly adequate for their needs.
  3. Don't want to throw away money on an integrated monitor when they already have one or refuse to buy integrated peripherals like the iMac.
  4. Know they cannot afford/justify spending $2800 on a new Mac.

Fixed that for ya!

The whole market is going towards notebooks. Apple knows this - so they have the MacBook (which is a Mini with a screen), and the MackBook Pros.

Most people expect the MacBook Pros are going to get a major revision this time around - and perhaps a new member in their lineup.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And for good reason. Introducing a new computer named simply "Mac" would just cause confusion within the current lineup of Macs: Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
And for good reason. Introducing a new computer named simply "Mac" would just cause confusion within the current lineup of Macs: Mac Mini, iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Ugh, let's not start that argument again. "Mac" is a general term for an Apple Computer ok?
Let's get back to the Mini-Tower discussion.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland

I was running the Adobe CS2 suite on a G4 Mac Mini for 18 months - and that was easily up to the task. And the new Intel ones are way faster...

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
And the average user does not have a Facebook profile.

Here in the UK they do. Everybody and their dog seems to have one... but that's just nitpicking at my overall point.

I sometimes wonder if most forum members here on MR are completely out of touch with what most average users do with their computers.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I doubt that Apple will release a mid tower anytime soon. They wouldn't want to cannibalize iMac sales.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I doubt that Apple will release a mid tower anytime soon. They wouldn't want to cannibalize iMac sales.

I really don't think that would happen. I imagine there are people out there simply not buying a Mac because there isn't what they want. If anything it'd just sell more Macs overall. With iMacs sales not being greatly affected.

cjsketchy

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
I don't think they wanted to wait this long to update it. They just had to wait for Intel to announce the new processors, and have enough of them on hand to satisfy the initial demand. If that happened back in November, that's when they would have updated. Nothing in this update couldn't have been done in November except the CPU's. Pretty simple if you ask me. No mid-range Mac next week.

network23

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2002
Illinois
The whole market is going towards notebooks. Apple knows this - so they have the MacBook (which is a Mini with a screen), and the MackBook Pros.

Really? The whole market? Care to share some numbers to back that up? (any statistic showing less than 100% of the market is not acceptable)

Different people. Different wants. Different needs. Different uses. I have laptops and desktops. I prefer to use a desktop. I use a laptop when travelling.

All I'm saying is there is a perceived gap in the lineup that just grew wider with the new Mac Pro pricepoint where something else could fit.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Really? The whole market? Care to share some numbers to back that up? (any statistic showing less than 100% of the market is not acceptable)

Different people. Different wants. Different needs. Different uses. I have laptops and desktops. I prefer to use a desktop. I use a laptop when travelling.

All I'm saying is there IS a <SNIP> gap in the lineup that just grew wider with the new Mac Pro pricepoint where something else could fit.

Here, here! The gap is real and Apple is being shortsighted if they fail to take advantage of it. Buy a new mid-range upgradable Mac today!

PS. Most analysts are putting laptops at just over 50% of computer sales. This is primarily because of the proliferation of those cheapo PC laptops.

Cheers,

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
In terms of this entire debate, the problem — the elephant in the room — is the iMac, and Steve Jobs' obsession with selling a computer that's an all-in-one appliance. He has a disregard for the tweakers and hackers, and wants the flagship attention paid to the iMac.

We want to make mass market appliances. What we are trying to develop is a computer that can do all those things that you might expect, but we also offer a much higher performance which takes the form of a very easy-to-use product."

It's not a view that I have complete sympathy with, if only because people are a little more conscious of environmental concerns, not wishing to trash an all-in-one machine they want to repair or upgrade.

I'd like a headless Mac as well, to run only as a backup and media server; I've had to use a modded G4 733 QS instead. If the Mini was just a little larger and could take internal 3.5" drives, I'd be happy. But I also don't project my wants as being some form of universal desire for a product, nor even as a profitable line for Apple.

steelski

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007

And the avarage photo nut does not need the mac pro.
But the mini is way too inpractical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.