Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Ok well I had him reset the Express, reset phones, make the network unsecured, switched channels and changed radio mode. Nothing worked.

He is going to call Apple Care tomorrow and see what they have to say. If they can't figure it out over the phone he will take it back to the Apple Store and have them switch it out or something.

Thanks for all the help. If anyone else has anymore suggestions we will gladly try them.

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
It doesn't sound like it's either, as it sounds like the AE has not yet been configured correctly on the OP's "network".

Think the OP needs to plug it in to mains and then run the Airport utility to configure it in "Bridge" mode.

But as I said earlier, I'm no expert! :D

I don't think so... He says that he can connect with his MBP, but not the iPhones. If he configured the wifi to be 5ghz only, this could happen.

We need the OP to put up some more information on the configuration of the AE.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I don't think so... He says that he can connect with his MBP, but not the iPhones. If he configured the wifi to be 5ghz only, this could happen.

We need the OP to put up some more information on the configuration of the AE.

He has the radio mode set to defualt which is 802.11n-802.11a/b/g compatible. I was thinking that he may have inadvertantly set it to 5ghz only but that doesn't seem to be the case.

willieva

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2010
You might want to check to see if the iphones are getting an ip address from the airport express. On an iphone, go into Settings. Check to see if the name of the network is there under the Wi-Fi category. If it is, click on the blue button to the right of the name. Under DHCP you should have an ip address of 10.0.1.something, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The router and dns should be 10.0.1.1, and your search domains will probably be something to do with your internet provider. If these values don't look right, you can try setting them under the Static tab.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
How can it act as a router? What Internet connection can you put in it to "route"?

From the link you posted....

Are you serious? Dude learn your stuff. The AE is just a basic router from Apple. It will extend and everything. And perform just like the extreme. I should know, I have both.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
You might want to check to see if the iphones are getting an ip address from the airport express. On an iphone, go into Settings. Check to see if the name of the network is there under the Wi-Fi category. If it is, click on the blue button to the right of the name. Under DHCP you should have an ip address of 10.0.1.something, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The router and dns should be 10.0.1.1, and your search domains will probably be something to do with your internet provider. If these values don't look right, you can try setting them under the Static tab.

Yeah I asked him what he was getting in all those fields. He has something in every field except DNS, that field is empty which I thought was strange.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Are you serious? Dude learn your stuff. The AE is just a basic router from Apple. It will extend and everything. And perform just like the extreme. I should know, I have both.

I don't need to learn anything thanks. ;)

The point I was making (maybe not clearly) was that it can't "route" if doesn't have anything to route.

I don't think at that point the OP had established that he had a cable modem sitting at the beginning of this equation.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Resolved!

Got it working! For some reason the Express came out of the box in "Bridge Mode" instead of "Sharing". I didn't even know the Express could go in bridge mode, I thought that was only with Extreme. Oh well, I knew it had to be some kind of setting that was screwed up.

And even though most of this thread was about whether or not the Express is a router, thanks for all the help and responses!!!:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.