Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Hello all.

Well, I have a software site reopening soon and have come down to these two logos.

I know there is not much of a difference but just let me know what you think

The choice is between

http://www.staylazy.net/images/wheels.jpg

and

http://www.staylazy.net/images/nowheels.jpg

Keep in mind, the logo that you chose (without the text) will appear on everything. Like in the URL bar, on the top of the website, and in the programs created them self.

Id rather have others make the choice by vote then me doing it. Let me know.

eyeon

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Montana, USA
no wheels, without a doubt. Much simpler, cleaner, clearer! The wheels imply movement, even though the guy isn't burning any calories... maybe this is what you want, but it's just something to consider.

But my vote is for no wheels. Good luck!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't really care for either, but given the choice its no wheels

I think you're missing something in the logo in general and maybe you need to work with the no wheels version and tweak it a bit.

D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I vote for the no wheel as well. And I sorta agree with Mr. Anderson. I feel the logo is too plain and static. I mean I see a person relaxing on a chair, but the rendering of the actual elements is too plain. You only have two different line weights that don't tapper off or anything. I don't think the character looks as "relaxed" as it could be; it looks like it's doing a sit up or sitting up but not leaning back on the chair.

I'm not sure on the look and feel of the company, but maybe you could make the logo on an angle instead of a front view as it makes it look too structured. And since the name of the company has the word "lazy" in it, I don't think a structured logo would represent lazy too well. Maybe something not so symmetrical? Vary the line weight? Make the head an oval instead of a perfect circle.

This isn't meant to put you down in anyway at all. I'm just giving an honest critique on the way I see it. If you do any revisions, please do post them.

Good luck! :)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I say go for no wheels. Wheels looks like it was quickly done and just of poor quality.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Those who arent fans of the logo (without wheels), what would you change, or do different.

Idk I kind of like the legs uncrossed, makes it seems very slackery.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Look at the following:
logo05.gif

Similar concept, different execution.
Your logo kind of reminded me of it :)
I'd go for no wheels, but seriously consider a "mark II" version that is very tweaked.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
The NoWheels version looks better. Crossed legs might look nicer... It's an OK concept, but looks a little primitive. What app did you use to draw it?

L

Lau

James Philp said:
Look at the following:
logo05.gif

<snip>
I'd go for no wheels, but seriously consider a "mark II" version that is very tweaked.

I'd agree. What about a lounger a bit like the one above in a solid colour, but with a vectored silhouetted figure (in another colour) on it lounging. Would look a bit more professional than a stick figure, in my opinion.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
I agree: no wheels.

I also agree it's not a very good logo. I hope you didn't pay a designer to come up with that. I mean, for god's sake, it's a stick figure!

Hire a real designer to make a real logo if you want it done right. No point in starting out with a logo that makes your brand look amateur or cheap.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
mrzeve said:
Those who arent fans of the logo (without wheels), what would you change, or do different.

Idk I kind of like the legs uncrossed, makes it seems very slackery.

I'd hire a real designer and get a truly professional logo you'll be proud of for a long time.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
My software is freeware, so theres no way Im going to pay for someone to make a logo haha.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
mrzeve said:
My software is freeware, so theres no way Im going to pay for someone to make a logo haha.
Then don't use a logo. Why not just use a distinctive typeface for the name of the product and pick a good color and use those consistently instead. Then if you ever turn the freeware into pay-ware, you can hire a designer to make a really nice logo.

Or, you can try to find an inexpensive generic logo that you can customize on one of those one-size-fits-all template sites.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
MontyZ said:
Then don't use a logo. Why not just use a distinctive typeface for the name of the product and pick a good color and use those consistently instead. Then if you ever turn the freeware into pay-ware, you can hire a designer to make a really nice logo.

Or, you can try to find an inexpensive generic logo that you can customize on one of those one-size-fits-all template sites.

Not to be a shmuck, but this wasnt the question on hand. I was simply asking for a choice between the two.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
mrzeve said:
Not to be a shmuck, but this wasnt the question on hand. I was simply asking for a choice between the two.

Not trying to be a schmuck back, but honestly I'd go with neither.

Your logo is part of your product, it helps create an impression with the user. I understand that your app is freeware but a little more attention would go a long way in creating a favourable first impression. Just look at your dock, would you want that dude sitting there spread-eagled, looking like he's waiting to get 'serviced'? Wheels or no wheels.

I know you don't really want to hear this and I'm not trying to be a *insert appropriate pre-filtered word here* but I'd listen to some of the feedback you've gotten. Best of luck with your app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.