Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
It's always difficult to convince a client to divorce a logo they are still in love with, even if it's abusing their image.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Should have asked this before, but

Out of curiousity, what app are you using to design this logo with?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Im having a friend do it for me. Hes simply doing it as a favor. He doesnt do these kind of things. Im not sure what hes using.

Oh, some background btw.

Mainly software (for windows users) that adds more functions to there iPod.

I had 2 that were out. Weather for Me (http://www.engineeredaudio.com/press/ipodarticle.pdf - featured in the NY Times) and Canto Pod (featured in iTunes and iPod hacks book).

Weather for Me downloads a weather forecast to your iPod, but I faced legal battle with Weather.com and had to take it down. Im soon re-releasing it, but I am hesitant because I do not have an international weather source (see: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/127862/).

Canto Pod downloaded song lyrics to your iPod, and when I rerelease that, its gonna be huge.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
The old version only suffered because it didnt have a good lyric source (I created sharelyrics.net to work with it, but I only have about 5000 lyrics on there).

Ive struck a deal with a major lyric site so once the new version is out, I really think it will blow LyriPod. Im going to have a really nice UI, and a lot of extra features.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
You might try to find a design student or a designer willing to do it for free just to get experience. As the logo is for a free product, you might be more likely to get some bites.

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Simplicity is best. Go without the wheels. If you want some design work done for a small fee, email my old professor, Chris, at Michigan state University.

corneal@msu.edu

He can have his students work on it for you. It's a class we had to work with real world clients. But just because I say students, does not mean they are by any means less than professional. They must be selected by professors to be able to join the class. They just require a small donation to help with funds for design classes. I might be able to help, but I am quite busy the next month or so.

Hope this helps!

Don

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
lazyboy922 said:
Simplicity is best. Go without the wheels. If you want some design work done for a small fee, email my old professor, Chris, at Michigan state University.

corneal@msu.edu

He can have his students work on it for you. It's a class we had to work with real world clients. But just because I say students, does not mean they are by any means less than professional. They must be selected by professors to be able to join the class. They just require a small donation to help with funds for design classes. I might be able to help, but I am quite busy the next month or so.

Hope this helps!

Don

This is a great idea-- portfolio piece and a few bucks for a poor design student. I lived off of stuff like this when I was in design school.

m

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
I tried emailing the professer but I think his spam filter might have averted my message.

Think you can let him know of this thread?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
Ok guys, another oppinion. What sounds better.

Staylazy.net software

or

Staylazy software

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
mkrishnan said:
If you're really lazy, don't bother capitalizing either. ;) :D

What wouldnt you want capitalized.

staylazy software
staylazy.net software
or just
staylazy

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Guidelines

As said in the Logo Design needed! thread, a logo has to be
Moxiemike said:
something iconic and adapatable.
This is why you need something simple that will be able to be put onto different things in different sizes, especially if you may change from being a software company.

I think maybe just a certain font with set colours which are individual to you would work, but make sure that the chosen font has an edge, so it would be remembered.

Hope this helps, and if I get an idea I'll post it here.

::20ROGERSC::

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.