Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Emerson said:
I am looking over my budget and there is still a small hope for the D200, but I would probablty choose the 85 f/1.4 to act as a far lighter portrait lens. I still have not mastered my D70 so a year or so more with it combined with a D200 price drop will certainly help make up my mind to upgrade to the D200. Until that time I want to build my lens collection (really all I want more is the 17-55 and the 85, and maybe the 10.5) before too much more on the camera.

About the 85mm 1.4 being a portrait lens. The FOV factor makes this more of a 125mm lens on a Nikon DSLR body. For many that FOV is bit long for portraits.

About not mastering the D70. Some feel that one should master the current gear before going on to the next level. IMO going to the D200 only makes sense in your situation if you NEED the greater megapixel count, the improved sensor, the increased FPS capture rate, the two channel wireless iTTL flash system, the weather-proof body (only important if you have the weather-sealed lenses), want a grip with a vertical release, among other "small" things.

We tend to be caught up in the "specs". I am old enough to remember phenomenal photos from those that had only 3 FPS to capture sports by. Bresson caught his images frame by frame by manually winding to the next shot.

That being said, the D200 being able to do a 9 frame bracket at up to +/- 1EV steps (based on specs printed) and CS2 having HDR - brings a new level of dynamic range in the final product for those with the time and talent.

Since I am used to RF cameras like the Leica M6 series, the likes of the Canon XT and the Nikon D50 offer me enough to be happy and content for my needs at this time....

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Emerson said:
...One more quick question is 4 gb (8 x 512 mb) of ram enough, or should I look into getting more. I plan on having Photoshop and Nikon Capture open at the same time? So far is just seemed like 4 gb was a solid and affordable option.

RAM "never hurts".

IIRC, I think the short answer on determining if you have enough RAM is to take an educated guess, then run the system for awhile. We're supposed to be able to use the "Activity Viewer" Application, under the "System Memory" screen (second tab), look at the ratio of "Page Ins/Outs" swaps to see how well the system's doing.

For example, mine right now says "637574/13014", with 6 days of uptime.

The values of 637574/13014 is a 49:1 ratio, so think that it suggests a 2% performance hit? On the pie chart, roughly 25% of it is the green slice ("free"), so it would appear that for general purpose stuff, I'm doing fine...I'd suspect that that goes away when I have Photoshop CS & Bridge both running. It probably wouldn't hurt for me to add a GB of RAM, to take me up to 2.5GB total...since I have the 1st Gen 1.8GHz, I still have 4 slots empty :)

-hh

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Go for package 1 or 2. Probably a mixture of both. If you went for a cheaper computer (a used PM or an iMac G5) you'd still notice a HUGE increase in speed from your PB and you'd have more money to spare for glass. I normally take about 300-400 shots when I work, and I could get through the 100-200 or so that I kept in a day on my 1Ghz PB.

The D70 is still an excellent camera, the resolution jump to a D200 really isn't that big. I've had full-page prints from my D70 in the same magazine as from a D2x and the pictures are equally sharp.

I've been using my D70 for sports photography since it came out and I can easily see myself using it in a few years time. The only benefit I'd find in the D200 is faster continuous speed, and if you're more concerned with landscapes and such then the D70 will be fine for you.

This isn't like comparing cameras of 5 years ago to cameras nowadays. To double the resolution of a picture needs a 4x increase in MP, the D200 only gives you an extra 800x500px.

When it comes to package 3, you're confusing what you NEED with what you WANT.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Emerson - Earlier on I voted for a modified option 3. But that raises an interesting issue in my mind - is there a non-DX lens that you might consider instead? http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5 What's your view on getting the digital specific now given that lens can last so long and the industry seems to be on the move to full frame (and indeed Nikon still has 42 non-digital specific lenses (not counting manual focus) to 7 DX series)? Is your view buy now, trade it later? Just a point of curiosity.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
law guy said:
Emerson - Earlier on I voted for a modified option 3. But that raises an interesting issue in my mind - is there a non-DX lens that you might consider instead? http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5 What's your view on getting the digital specific now given that lens can last so long and the industry seems to be on the move to full frame (and indeed Nikon still has 42 non-digital specific lenses (not counting manual focus) to 7 DX series)? Is your view buy now, trade it later? Just a point of curiosity.

The common element in each of Emerson's packages was the 17-55 2.8. From Nikon the only real alternative in a non-DX lens is the 17-35 2.8 IMO. And for someone going all digital the 17-55 2.8 makes more sense.

There is no guaranty that Nikon will ever go FF. There have been a few 35mm sized sensors that found homes in MF cameras over the past few years. Most of these sensors had been gotten by the MF manufactures on the "open market", meaning that unlike Canon they did not make the sensors themselves.

So in the end, Nikon has not been unable to bring a FF DSLR to market, but chose for their own reasons not to do so at this point. For there would be more than enough Nikon pro users IMO for Nikon to offer a FF DSLR in the $10K to $15K range, with enough takers to make it worth their while.

What Nikon may be banking on is the next major shift in how the pros see the DSLR format. As I mentioned in other posts, the chosen format of photography has changed over time.

In the very early days, LF (large format) ruled. This was because prints were made from paper negatives. So if you wanted a 11x14 final print, you shot a 11x14 paper negative.

Fast forward a bit, to the time that negative film made its way to popular use amongst the "pros". This gave the ability to allow an 8x10 or 4x5 negative to be made as large as one had an enlarger and the paper to print in on.

That changed when Kodak came out with their original roll film camera ("You take the picture, we will do the rest"). Till that time, quality photos required a massive investment in LF cameras. As this format caught on, "pros" found the format easier to handle than the bulky LF stuff.

I am sure there was great discussion among those that "knew better" that LF would rule over this "up start" roll film camera. But in the end the ease of use of the forerunner of MF cameras gave way to to complexity of LF cameras. For now one was not tied down to using a tripod to take pictures!

But the roll film camera soon became a popular format for the pro and consumer alike. And for the consumer, would prove popular till the introduction of the Kodak Instamatic 126 cameras of the '60's.

Yet in the '30's we had Ernest Lietz come up with the idea of using 35mm motion picture film as the basis for the what we now know as the 35mm camera. These smaller cameras allowed more frames per a roll, but more importantly - smaller. and easier to use cameras. No longer was the photographer limited to single sheets of film, or just 12 shots on a roll of film. Or a camera that screamed "here I am".

Yet each step of the the way, there were those that said that with each new "standard"; there goes the craft of photography. From those that "embraced" LF photography as it gave way to MF. As those that embraced MF, gave way to 35mm. And today we have those in 35mm film not wanting to yield to the APSC format of the digital era.

But guess what? There are still those that shoot LF and MF, as well as 35mm. Why? There is a different "feel" in the final print. Just as there are those that hold on dearly to carbon or platinum printing for prints from film stock.

In the end what does it mean for the "rest of us"? For those that know and love film, it will be harder and more expensive to find supplies. For the others it will mean better quality at lower prices.

I am reminded of this in looking at the consumer market in the '60's and '70's. For the consumer the Kodak Instamatic 126 camera was the end all, be all. Yet there was a great market for 35mm RF (rangefinder) cameras that offered more than the 126 format offered.

This continued till the '80's with the first Canon Sureshot 35mm AF (autofocus) cameras. Ease of use, with the quality of 35mm. This caused a major shakeup of who was represented in the camera market place at the time. Many names went by the wayside during that time; Miranda, Exacta, Petri, Soligar, Kiron, among others.

Just as Canon caused a shift in what consumers could expect in film photography in the '80's, digital is doing the same now. We have camcorders that now allow for decent 11x14 prints. We have cell phones that can do decent 8x10's. Heck, we are maybe not far off from our toaster from doing decent 4x6's....

The point is that our expectations of photography is a moving target based on our own needs. This past week I did a test print from a customers miniDV camcorder (IIRC, just about 1+mp). He was thrilled with the results. Some of you here, myself included, would have said it was "OK".

Sure I shoot digital with DSLR's from both Canon and Nikon. But there are times that I will also go out with my "old" Leica M6's - just because of the look and feel of the format. Heck, there is a Fuji 645 camera that just came in to our shop, that seems to be calling me each time I pass by it.

Maybe I will relent in this post 9-11 world, and breakdown and take my Leica or this Fuji 645 out - just to show that there is more to life than 1's and 0's.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Wow, Chip, your post brings back some memories! I had one of the Kodak Brownie cameras when I was a little girl during the 1950's, and then when I was in college in the mid-1960's is when the Instamatics hit the scene. I loved that thing....

MANY years later, when taking some photography classes, I had my first exposure to large format and medium format, and, yes, there is definitely something about using those cameras and something about the prints produced from those that is special, something which cannot really be matched by current computer/digital results. Part of it, to which you alluded, is the process of first creating the image by photographing it, then the additional process of standing in the darkroom with an enlarger and trays of chemicals.... With Large Format in particular, so much more time and care needs to be put into the process, starting with loading up the sheet film into the holders prior to setting out. One doesn't rush into shooting with a field camera, one needs to set up the tripod and the camera, deliberate over the best angle and perspective, play around with the exposure and usually do a few test shots with a Polaroid back first.... A far cry from using a digital camera, where often one can hand-hold, where there is always immediate feedback in the LCD screen, where one can shoot as much as one likes, limited only by the memory capacity of and number of CF cards one has on hand....

Even as today I sit at my computer and process images shot with my digital camera, I still remember back to the days when hours were spent in the darkroom.... There was a mystique there, a magic there, that just cannot be reproduced by the process of digital imaging on a computer.

OTB

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Chip NoVaMac said:
There is no guaranty that Nikon will ever go FF. There have been a few 35mm sized sensors that found homes in MF cameras over the past few years. Most of these sensors had been gotten by the MF manufactures on the "open market", meaning that unlike Canon they did not make the sensors themselves.

True what you say on the topic. I look at it a little differently perhaps. Rather than different formats that developed in film over time, in the digital age, we have massive technology shifts over a few short years, trying to replicate film and improve in other ways as they develop. So we start from a standardized 35mm world (meaning the preponderance of photography) five years ago. In the last few years we've moved from the pro, outrageously expensive digital cameras at just a couple of megapixles to much higher resolution and better / cheaper sensors every year. In more recent months Canon has gone to two DSLRs with FF - as technology moves down their line I am guessing these will be in the rebel XT equivilent in a few, perhaps five years (think five years back where things were - through that filter I wonder if five years is too far out). Nikon is a business and wants to compete with Canon. Some of that competition may be based on preception / a desire for those for whom the 35 mm body is still warm to move to the equivilent digital alternative, etc. From that standpoint, not meeting Canon with similar options puts Nikon at a competitive disadvantage as time passes (e.g., in two years if there is a FF Canon 3D at the D200 price point and the Nikon offering at that time is a smaller size sensor, the FF may be viewed as a leg-up feature by some in the market, in other words, an advantage to that camera that moves buyers towards it) - not where they want to be. As sensors continue to improve, drop in price, as the FF works its way down the Canon line as it has already begun to do with the comparatively cheaper 5D at $3,200 (almost $5,000 less than the first Canon FF), as it becomes a widely available option, and as Nikon benefits from more technology options from sensor manufacturers, I think we'll seem them go FF soon and have that technology work down the line. I could be wrong, of course, but it keeps me in a full frame lens mindset - thus the question.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Emerson said:
Package 3:
Nikon D200 $1700
Nikon MB-200 w/ extra battery $210
Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 $1200
Sale of Nikon D70 & Kit lens $600
Total: $2510

It's a no brainer! Go for the nikon D200 because that is what I would do. You can always live with a slow computer or just get a new mini when it comes out so u spend less then 3,500 bucks budgeted: Do you really need a 17-55 2,8? U are getting quite a bit of barrel distortion...that's why I love my F3 and my 28mm PC nikkor :D : I Want a NIKON with a native 24x36 mm CCD so my vintage lenses will work as they should: ARE YOU LISTENING NIKON?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
ScubaDuc said:
Go for the nikon D200 because that is what I would do. You can always live with a slow computer....

That's pretty much the opposite of what I would have said.

A slow computer is hard to put up with, and unless there's a lot of things that the D70 is lacking that you would like to have, then there isn't much point in getting the D200 as there wouldn't be much of an advantage from a photography standpoint. Well, the advantage wouuldn't be worth the cost of the D200 for what he's shooting, anyway.

Yesterday I was uploading shots from my D50 to my 12" 1GHz G4 PowerBook with 1.25 GB of RAM, and I can now say that this computer is getting a bit too slow for me, and can completely understand why it would be WAY too slow for some people who are seriously into photography and have 100s of images. I only had around 10. :D

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
ScubaDuc said:
Go for the nikon D200 because that is what I would do. You can always live with a slow computer

Hoo, boy.....I think that if he were to purchase the D200 and then try to load those large files (that camera has 10 MP, remember) into a slow computer, he'd be VERY sorry in a hurry! That might be what YOU would try to do, ScubaDuc, but I sure wouldn't recommend this idea to anyone!

IMHO keeping the D70 and buying a faster computer would be the smart way to handle the situation unless he's able to sell the D70 and then be able to afford to get both the D200 AND a new computer.

OTB

Emerson

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Iowa
On the Brink said:
Hoo, boy.....I think that if he were to purchase the D200 and then try to load those large files (that camera has 10 MP, remember) into a slow computer, he'd be VERY sorry in a hurry! That might be what YOU would try to do, ScubaDuc, but I sure wouldn't recommend this idea to anyone!

IMHO keeping the D70 and buying a faster computer would be the smart way to handle the situation unless he's able to sell the D70 and then be able to afford to get both the D200 AND a new computer.

OTB

I have tried this and let me tell you it is an exercise in patience that I simply do not have. The raw files from the D200 are 15.5 MB, and they turn my powerbook into a spinning beachball machine. I have looked into selling the D70 along with the 18-70 lens and it simply doesn't make enought money to justify spending the extra money on the D200. From the advice I have gotten here and my experiences I am probably going to go with the Powermac, it will make editing my files are more enjoyable experience.

mchendricks

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Central Florida
Emerson said:
I have tried this and let me tell you it is an exercise in patience that I simply do not have. The raw files from the D200 are 15.5 MB, and they turn my powerbook into a spinning beachball machine. I have looked into selling the D70 along with the 18-70 lens and it simply doesn't make enought money to justify spending the extra money on the D200. From the advice I have gotten here and my experiences I am probably going to go with the Powermac, it will make editing my files are more enjoyable experience.

Have you considered maxing your RAM? I see you only have 640MB. That will be a great help. Next, you might get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card and an external card reader (SanDisk and Lexar each make one for less than $30 USD). Transfer your files with the reader and not the camera. This could eliminate two bottlenecks. These inexpensive changes can help prolong your PB's life and still let you get a new camera or new glass.

Please let us know your final decision.

Mike

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Meh, he has a rev A 12" PB. I have a rev B 12" PB, and mine would die with those photo sizes as well. I have 1.25 GB of RAM, and let me tell you.....if I had a slower PB with less RAM, I would have jumped out my window by now. :eek:

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
I have a 400mhz G3 still, going on...6 years old now? And I process my Rebel XT's images in it just fine. Currently I've invested a bit in Canon lenses, so Nikon isn't an option for me, though the d200 does look very nice. I'm waiting for the next updates to the rebel and 20d, that perhaps will compete with the d200. I'm hoping they'll be cropped-sensor too, so my Sigma 10-20mm EX DC HSM will still be usable!

My current bent is to get a great camera and let the computer go by the wayside. I used to be all for getting a new comp, but after spending $1700+ on my first dSLR camera + equipment, computers kinda faded away. Of course, if you like computers more, then by all means stick it out with your inferior photography tools..

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
Uhm, I'd NEVER buy a pm g5 unless one of the dual-core systems cost about $250. Its life cycle is at the beginning of its end this year, and that's not exactly the best time to purchase, price or performance-wise. If you insist on buying a desktop, get/build a PC or wait until there's something worth getting in the pm lineup...which isn't right now.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
-hh said:
If you had two 20" widescreen LCD's sitting around not being used, which would you choose? :)

-hh

Well, with the spanning hack (I assume it works with the core dual iMac's) one could use one screen on the iMac. The other could be used for a Mac mini, doing the simpler stuff....

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
I fully agree with the above: You have to consider, and it is an important fact that someone mentioned in an earlier post, that Nikon has by far a wider range of excellent manual lenses which u can pick up used real cheap. The D200 allows to use older, manual NikKor lenses which wont work on the D70. Essentially, with the D70 you can kiss goodbye using the full range of Nikon lenses and accessories. Why would u want to do that? You could pick up a 55 mm MicroNikkor and a ring flash for some real close up in the future or anything that will fancy your immagination. You could even get a manual fixed wide angle and forget the zoom. What is there to focus in panoramas anyway?

That's why I said in the earlier post that it is a no-brainer. Wait a little longer and don't compromise if you can... This is a transition year for Apple and new models are going to be announced soon anyway.

The folks at Nikoncafe are real helpful and there are a lot of very experience users.

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
ScubaDuc said:
...that Nikon has by far a wider range of excellent manual lenses which u can pick up used real cheap. The D200 allows to use older, manual NikKor lenses which wont work on the D70. Essentially, with the D70 you can kiss goodbye using the full range of Nikon lenses and accessories....

That's extremely misleading. You can use any Nikon lens with the correct bayonet mount on a D70, but in some cases you will have to use an external meter. I've used old lenses on mine.

Don't get the D200, it would be a pointless waste of money considering the extremely capable camera you have now. It would only be worth upgrading if you had a really old camera like a D100 or a Canon D30/60.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.