Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
This is relevant to my interests - I've been giving a lot of thought to a 12" to replace my 2011 Macbook Air (which is slowing down a lot). I'd only use it when on the couch or traveling as a secondary machine. I'd love to get one with 16gb of ram, but perhaps that is overblown for what it is. The hard thing is finding a silver model...

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think the new MacBook Air is really nice, but the appeal of the 12" was the form factor, it was just so light and small, you can put it in a bag and not notice its there.

The new MBP 13" is very portable... and is only a bit heavier than the Air... which is only a bit heavier than the 12". But those bits all add up. I love the 12" MacBook form factor and was gutted when they canned it. The problem now as you're finding is that secondhand values have firmed up as as result.

If Apple did a version of the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard with a built-in trackpad, I might be tempted to switch to that as an ultra-portable option, but what I'd love to see is an updated 12" laptop - I really did think it would be an ideal candidate for ARM. Add in a couple of ports, a new keyboard and you'd be good to go.

Drecca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
I don't think an ARM version will be announced until at least WWDC. The switch to ARM is more of a developer issue than it is a customer facing thing. And they'd need to get developers on board before a launch.

That's why I'm hunting for a 16GB space grey 2017 model. Slim pickings so far.

Reactions: ascender

Beemers916

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
I don't think an ARM version will be announced until at least WWDC. The switch to ARM is more of a developer issue than it is a customer facing thing. And they'd need to get developers on board before a launch.

That's why I'm hunting for a 16GB space grey 2017 model. Slim pickings so far.

i know this post is old but i have a maxed out 2017 SG that i was going to put on ebay this weekend. Still have the box and everything. Only 145 power cycles. I can send pics if youre interested.

Last edited:

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I tried to buy one new from Costco and have had problems with two units. Base 2017 models in silver.

First one: Terrible gap between lid and top case when closed on one side. One side was fine, the other side had a nasty/sloppy gap like the lid was bowed on one side, unacceptable. Returned it.

Second one: Something legitimately loose inside the computer, which was otherwise perfect from a quality control/cosmetic standpoint. Thought I had a real keeper until I was handling the computer normally and felt something shift. Lo and behold, something inside was moving left/right what felt like a quarter inch, and you could feel it with your hands on the bottom case. Since the computer was absolutely pristine otherwise, and since I could get an appointment at the Genius Bar the same night I received it, I broke my own rule of never service a machine that's in the return window, and I brought it in just to see if it was something simple. They opened it up and found nothing, but definitely heard and felt it. They suggested either sending it out to the repair depot for further investigation (sounds like this is a display issue from doing some searching) or returning it, so back it went.

I attempted to order a 3rd one, and Costco canceled my order, citing a limit of 2, despite returning the 2 I ordered for legitimate defects. Called them and explained, and they wouldn't budge. 2 is 2, according to them.

They said I could order another color/configuration, so I've been sitting here all week debating if I:

1) Order a base model in space gray (really don't care for anything but silver, space gray just seems so drab).

2) Order the higher spec i5/512 model in silver for $200 more than I need to spend.

3) Log in to my wife's account and order another base silver, with the threat of her needing to physically return it if there's a problem instead of me (I'm assuming this would work since her order history doesn't show my computer orders like my history does, despite us sharing a household membership? Not sure).

4) Forget it and move on with life. There aren't any new silvers anywhere else on earth from anywhere I'd feel comfortable buying from, and I've scoured the internet. I'm paranoid I'm going to get banned from Costco if I try to return a third one. I don't care if they ban me after accepting the return, but I'd hate to get banned upon trying to return, and not being able to and being stuck with a machine I am unhappy with that is defective or has poor fit and finish.

Either way, if I order a third one, that's the last one, regardless. This is exhausting, but I really want one of these little 12"ers. It's also exhausting that I have to order and wait every time, and can't just go to a store and pick one up in person. Why is it so hard sometimes to get a good product from Apple? IME, they are either perfect on the first try, or it takes 3-4 tries to get one that's finally acceptable.

Last edited:
Reactions: weezin

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I might be in the market for a replacement 12" rMB.
Mine was the first gen 2015 and love it - it has travelled all over the world with me.
Super light and thin - small 29W USB-C charger makes it a breeze and it beats out my iPad Pro in weight.

Battery is at 280 cycles and showing "Service Battery". Battery appears to be replaceable...

It was a CTO/BTO rMB and don't know if there would be any interest in it...

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Second one: Something legitimately loose inside the computer, which was otherwise perfect from a quality control/cosmetic standpoint. Thought I had a real keeper until I was handling the computer normally and felt something shift. Lo and behold, something inside was moving left/right what felt like a quarter inch, and you could feel it with your hands on the bottom case. Since the computer was absolutely pristine otherwise, and since I could get an appointment at the Genius Bar the same night I received it, I broke my own rule of never service a machine that's in the return window, and I brought it in just to see if it was something simple. They opened it up and found nothing, but definitely heard and felt it. They suggested either sending it out to the repair depot for further investigation (sounds like this is a display issue from doing some searching) or returning it, so back it went.

My computer has this too - apparently it’s the plastic piece behind the LCD panel. You can shake it back and forth. I’ve had this on his machine and a 13” 2015 MBP.

It sucks but apparently it won’t get worse or cause any harm. It’s just annoying to hear and feel and know it’s there. Only replacing/ swapping the LCD panel will stop the sound.

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
My computer has this too - apparently it’s the plastic piece behind the LCD panel. You can shake it back and forth. I’ve had this on his machine and a 13” 2015 MBP.

It sucks but apparently it won’t get worse or cause any harm. It’s just annoying to hear and feel and know it’s there. Only replacing/ swapping the LCD panel will stop the sound.

Is that something you actually hear during daily use of the MacBook? I once forced myself to shake my MacBook side to side and could hear the noise by putting my ear right next to the top. That was like 2 years ago and I haven't heard it since, because I don't go around shaking it or putting my ear right next to it so I can hear it.

Biscotti

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2008
Is that something you actually hear during daily use of the MacBook? I once forced myself to shake my MacBook side to side and could hear the noise by putting my ear right next to the top. That was like 2 years ago and I haven't heard it since, because I don't go around shaking it or putting my ear right next to it so I can hear it.

Yeah if I don's shake it side to side I can't hear it at all. I probably had the noise for a while but never noticed it until one day I picked up the computer and walked across the room and in the process shifted it and heard a click.

I don't know why that happens and def think it shouldn't...but it's a great little computer. In March of 2019 I bought an i5 512 8GB Space Grey for $600 on ebay (manufactured in April 2018 and sold in June 2018).

It's honestly the BEST computer and a decent upgrade form a 2011 MBA. BUT there are a few times when I do with it had more power - streaming 1080p content over wifi sometime doesn't work where my SP7 with quad core i5 handles it with no sweat.

For weight, portability, looks, and battery life this thing rocks.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
So what are my options? All the 12 rMB's are used right now with probably a ton of cycles on the battery, the refurb store only has gold and rose gold, no 16gb ram models.

Ideas?
Have you tried Adorama, BHPhoto, BestBuy, Costco or other Apple Authorized resellers? They may have the last Macbook on stock.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
We are looking to pick up another one of these for the team, but used values have really solidified since they were discontinued. As a result, there doesn’t seem to be any bargains to be had on eBay now and some seem to be selling for silly money (or sitting with high ”buy it now” prices). Occasionally a brand new base 2017 model will pop up for £799 from a retailer who has obviously found one lying around in their warehouse, but there‘s slim pickings.

I guess as well you have to wonder if Apple does have a replacement model coming for it - if so, you’d expect to hear something soon, at which point the second hand values might drop, so the more you pay now, the more you’d potentially lose.

On the flip side, no replacement means they’re probably still a good used buy, even at the more expensive end of the scale.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
The reason why Apple isn't updating the 12" MacBook most likely has to do with the keyboard.

The butterfly keys were designed mostly because of and for the 12" MacBook. Then the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro went along for the ride, which was a bad idea.

If Apple were to come out with a new 12" MacBook, it would have to go with a thicker keyboard, which would diminish its original thin and light-weight premise, which would then kind of be a "downgrade" from the original computer in some way.

That plus with the MacBook Air on the market now, it makes no sense for them to introduce a 12" machine that's either the same price range or more. If they made the 12" any cheaper, it'd eat into iPad sales.

So the 12" has to disappear, at least as far as Apple's current lineup goes. It's pretty obvious Apple intends for the iPad 12.9 to be its replacement.

Florida Gator

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2004
The reason why Apple isn't updating the 12" MacBook most likely has to do with the keyboard.

The butterfly keys were designed mostly because of and for the 12" MacBook. Then the 13" and 15" MacBook Pro went along for the ride, which was a bad idea.

If Apple were to come out with a new 12" MacBook, it would have to go with a thicker keyboard, which would diminish its original thin and light-weight premise, which would then kind of be a "downgrade" from the original computer in some way.

That plus with the MacBook Air on the market now, it makes no sense for them to introduce a 12" machine that's either the same price range or more. If they made the 12" any cheaper, it'd eat into iPad sales.

So the 12" has to disappear, at least as far as Apple's current lineup goes. It's pretty obvious Apple intends for the iPad 12.9 to be its replacement.

I think the primary reason actually had to do with the fact the MacBook was one of lowest, if not the lowest, selling Macs in their entire lineup and Macs are really a small fraction of their overall business. So they decided not enough people wanted this niche product when they have MacBook Air and iPad Pro.

And if anything, I'd bet their biggest hardware hurdle came from Intel not releasing meaningful updates.

I'd be shocked if Apple ever released a MacBook this portable ever again.

Reactions: ascender

spiderpumpkin

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2014
One thing I've always hated about laptops is the fans running and being hot. One reason I love the 12" MacBook is because it's fanless and silent, and never seems to get hot for what I use it for.
[automerge]1581538789[/automerge]
Costco is blowing out brand new 2017 MacBooks right now on the cheap. Sale ends the 13th. Www.costco.com

I'd probably buy an extra backup 2017 i5 MacBook if it came with 16GB RAM standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.