Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zooole

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2016
So after posting about this yesterday, I did a little digging.

First of all, Safari supports Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio. As is evident when playing Dolby Atmos files.

Now, Netflix does support Dolby Atmos, just not on the web. There exists a nice extension, Netflix 1080p. For us this is not too relevant, as it cannot be ported as is to Safari, and Safari already does Dolby Vision at 4K. But it's still limited to 2 channel audio.

This extension does provide 5.1 too, so I was intrigued. I managed to get DDPLUS 5.1 out of Netflix, which correctly shows up as Multichannel audio with Spatial Audio. Atmos is also possible, but I got stuck. It shows up as Atmos on Netflix, but still just Multichannel in sound settings.

I created a gist of the modified Cadmium Playercore. It is a mess, mostly I just wrote over the existing heaac-2-dash because the minified .js file is extremely hard to read and Safari kept going back to 2.0 without basically overwriting everything. Atmos also needs a bit of a push.

If somehow Atmos could get through Spatial Audio, I would be willing to make this nice and potentially an extension. 5.1 is already quite nice with Spatial Audio though, but I really hope this could be pushed all the way.

Github Gist

Screenshot 2022-01-02 at 22.05.42.png

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022

First of all, Safari supports Dolby Atmos Spatial Audio. As is evident when playing Dolby Atmos files.

Now, Netflix does support Dolby Atmos, just not on the web. There exists a nice extension, Netflix 1080p. For us this is not too relevant, as it cannot be ported as is to Safari, and Safari already does Dolby Vision at 4K. But it's still limited to 2 channel audio.

This extension does provide 5.1 too, so I was intrigued. I managed to get DDPLUS 5.1 out of Netflix, which correctly shows up as Multichannel audio with Spatial Audio. Atmos is also possible, but I got stuck. It shows up as Atmos on Netflix, but still just Multichannel in sound settings.

I created a gist of the modified Cadmium Playercore. It is a mess, mostly I just wrote over the existing heaac-2-dash because the minified .js file is extremely hard to read and Safari kept going back to 2.0 without basically overwriting everything. Atmos also needs a bit of a push.

If somehow Atmos could get through Spatial Audio, I would be willing to make this nice and potentially an extension. 5.1 is already quite nice with Spatial Audio though, but I really hope this could be pushed all the way.

Github Gist

View attachment 1937870
i am able to get 4k on safari but how did u get 5.1 channel on safari? can you help me out in this case. and yes i am also looking how to play atmos from netflix, i saw that extension for chrome but it limits playback to 1080p only. thankfully someone is also looking in this case.

Reactions: joey3561

zooole

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2016
i am able to get 4k on safari but how did u get 5.1 channel on safari? can you help me out in this case. and yes i am also looking how to play atmos from netflix, i saw that extension for chrome but it limits playback to 1080p only. thankfully someone is also looking in this case.
I can’t give you an easy way.

This is just for development purposes but the code is in the gist. It is a modified version of Cadmium player which is Netflix’s client side engine.

The 1080p extension approach is not viable on safari because it does not support features of the Web Extension API that is necessary to easily redirect Netflix’s request for the Cadmium player .js file to a modified one.

It should work on Chrome, but I didn’t investigate since it doesn’t support Spatial Audio.

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
I can’t give you an easy way.

This is just for development purposes but the code is in the gist. It is a modified version of Cadmium player which is Netflix’s client side engine.

The 1080p extension approach is not viable on safari because it does not support features of the Web Extension API that is necessary to easily redirect Netflix’s request for the Cadmium player .js file to a modified one.

It should work on Chrome, but I didn’t investigate since it doesn’t support Spatial Audio.
Yes, I did saw your gist. I was able to enable dev options in safari and access local sources of Netflix player. But I wasn't able to make changes in it. That's where I'm stuck, I hope you can help me in that case how to make changes or import that gist in safari to make it work.
Moreover I did find a new extension for Netflix which is for Edge browser and it has inbuilt Dolby Atmos option. That extension has a cardium player.js file as well.
For now please help me make changes in safari sources that's what I need to do.

katzecz

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2022

Github Gist

View attachment 1937870

I get it working only for English language. Is there any way how to get it working for all other available languages?

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022

Github Gist

View attachment 1937870
recently i got it working with the help of katzecz. And i was able to get high bitrate for audio in atmos, but in 5.1 it is still low, can you somehow manage to push t to highest bitrate in audio as well, to enable high bitrate audio all I did was add hq behind 5.1 or atmos, thats what katzecz found.

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
Hey @zoole can you please tell me how did you enable that popup thing which pops up when we tap option+control+shift+s

anka09

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
recently i got it working with the help of katzecz. And i was able to get high bitrate for audio in atmos, but in 5.1 it is still low, can you somehow manage to push t to highest bitrate in audio as well, to enable high bitrate audio all I did was add hq behind 5.1 or atmos, thats what katzecz found.
hi, how do you make it work ? i do stuck and can't edit the local source. Can you help me?

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
hi, how do you make it work ? i do stuck and can't edit the local source. Can you help me?
Enable developer options of safari,
Open Netflix play anything click develop option in top bar then show page source
In left there is scripts folder or something tap it then you will find cadmium player click it, tap copy kind of icon then select create response override then the tap import and select the file. Then refresh the page you are good to go. It will stay 5.1 until you reload the page. Click import and load file again if doesn’t work in first try and refresh the page

anka09

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2022
Enable developer options of safari,
Open Netflix play anything click develop option in top bar then show page source
In left there is scripts folder or something tap it then you will find cadmium player click it, tap copy kind of icon then select create response override then the tap import and select the file. Then refresh the page you are good to go. It will stay 5.1 until you reload the page. Click import and load file again if doesn’t work in first try and refresh the page
i try this and not working, not even go to 5.1 still stay in stereo. I'll attach a few files for you to have a look

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.38.07.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.38.07.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 717
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.37.34.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.37.34.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 680
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.37.48.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 22.37.48.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 684

hundge

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2022
Hi, this latest gist works for me : I can select the Atmos track for neftlix shows as shown in the screenshot above. However when looking at the sound output to my AirPods Max it says Multicanal (multichannel) not Dolby Atmos. Am I missing something ?
Many thanks for your work !
Capture d’écran 2022-09-19 à 22.45.03.png

martin.busek

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Hi, I'm bit of beginner here and need some help. When I download the "gist" file as zip and extract it, how do I install to Safari? I Have M1 MacBook Pro 16" and I was surprised how well the spatial audio works in Apple TV app, but I'd like it to work in Netflix/Safari too. Thanks for any help.

needsometonic

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2022
Hi, I'm bit of beginner here and need some help. When I download the "gist" file as zip and extract it, how do I install to Safari? I Have M1 MacBook Pro 16" and I was surprised how well the spatial audio works in Apple TV app, but I'd like it to work in Netflix/Safari too. Thanks for any help.
Open netflix. play any content in it pause it. then go to develop option in menu bar, show page source, in left menu go to scripts, cadmium player in right text box thing in top of it tap that copy button type thing, create response local override, in left menu you will see local overrides, tap it, in right text thing there is import button and import the file and hit refresh on netlfix page. it will give netflix until you manually refresh page or reopen netflix.

martin.busek

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2015
Open netflix. play any content in it pause it. then go to develop option in menu bar, show page source, in left menu go to scripts, cadmium player in right text box thing in top of it tap that copy button type thing, create response local override, in left menu you will see local overrides, tap it, in right text thing there is import button and import the file and hit refresh on netlfix page. it will give netflix until you manually refresh page or reopen netflix.
Thank you very much for the help.

ridgerider

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Interesting stuff! I applied the last gist and the player interface now reports '(Atmos)', but actually only decodes to 5.1 instead of 7.1.4 as configured in Audio Midi Setup.. If anyone know how to fix it, I'd appreciate any advice.

Simos.805

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2017
Athens, Greece
Any way to make this 5.1 audio pass through S/PDIF? I have a 5.1 surround sound card connected with USB on my iMac. Every 5.1 movie plays excellent with supported players like VLC, mpv, etc, but even with the latest gist, Netflix on Safari says "English [Original] (5.1) on the audio, but Safari gives stereo to the external card.

oranjer

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2022
Interesting stuff! I applied the last gist and the player interface now reports '(Atmos)', but actually only decodes to 5.1 instead of 7.1.4 as configured in Audio Midi Setup.. If anyone know how to fix it, I'd appreciate any advice.
I think (most if not all of) Netflix Atmos titles come only with 5.1. Try open debug panel and you will find that:
Audio Track: en, Id: A:2:1;6;en;1;0;, Channels: 5.1, Codec: audio/mp4; codecs="mp4a.a6" (ddplus, atmos)

markus8197

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2023
Hi, thank you for all of that. After having to overrite BOTH of these gists I managed to get the 5.1 working (it says atmos as well but I dont have atmos playback capability)

But when ever I apply these gits the video quality drops to like 480p or something. It is really pixelated. my internet speed is 450mps which can't cause any issues so does anyone have any idea why these gists are causing the image quality to drop?

Cheers!

arcanazen

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2023
This is awesome, what a huge difference in sound quality, I'm using my airpods pro 2, and boy they sound amazing with netflix atmos (multichannel)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.