Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Holy... It's about time! :eek:

How long has the PC version been out, a year and a half, at least? It's $19.99 on the shelves of our local Gamestops. I can understand a delay, but do you guys think the interest will even be there still to draw a profit? :rolleyes:

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA

How long has the PC version been out, a year and a half, at least? It's $19.99 on the shelves of our local Gamestops. I can understand a delay, but do you guys think the interest will even be there still to draw a profit? :rolleyes:

If macs only used PowerPC chips I'd say yes, but that's not the case anymore is it? You could just pay the $20 and run it thru bootcamp now. Plus we got more games coming out this year then we've see for awhile, which is competition for eyes and wallets. I guess the real question is will it be UB? There are still plenty of people with G5s and powerbooks out there, that would be willing to fork some cash over since they can't play a majority of the newer titles.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
You could just pay the $20 and run it thru bootcamp now.

probably not and then they will be able to use it as an excuse to not develop more games for macs since no body bought this one.

Very true, and I don't mind switching over to bootcamp to play games, I just wish developers were more eager to port games to the Mac.

I know there are lots of reasons why they don't, and I think it's a bummer that porting to OS X seems to be a break-even practice at best. I would certainly rather purchase games that were UB's and ran under OS X instead of Windows.

But. When they are released later, are more expensive (given the fact they're released later), and generally suffer from performance hits, it's tough to do so. :(

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

It's been out a little less than 10 months right now.

Anyway, I will almost certainly buy it (even though it will be $50) because I love the NWN games and I hate booting to Windows--I haven't bought the Windows NWN 2.

Anyway, Bootcamp itself isn't free because Windows costs a lot. (And soon, Bootcamp updates will probably be tied to the version of OS X you have. I'm not sure how they are going to do this, but I'm guessing you'll have to have the latest version of OS X to get the latest Bootcamp drivers and features.)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Anyway, Bootcamp itself isn't free because Windows costs a lot. (And soon, Bootcamp updates will probably be tied to the version of OS X you have. I'm not sure how they are going to do this, but I'm guessing you'll have to have the latest version of OS X to get the latest Bootcamp drivers and features.)

I don't think that bootcamp updates will be tied to the OS you have until we get 10.6.x, since IIRC they will be selling bootcamp seperatly from Leopard for Tiger users, so both of those versions should be the same and get the same updates.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
If macs only used PowerPC chips I'd say yes, but that's not the case anymore is it? You could just pay the $20 and run it thru bootcamp now. Plus we got more games coming out this year then we've see for awhile, which is competition for eyes and wallets. I guess the real question is will it be UB? There are still plenty of people with G5s and powerbooks out there, that would be willing to fork some cash over since they can't play a majority of the newer titles.

It's not just the expense of buying a 20$ game. It's also the expense of buying XP or Vista. THAT is hugely expensive. JUST to pay 20$ for a game.

Buy the Mac version. It'll be native and won't require you to dig so deep to pay for it.

TheStranger55

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2007
But there is an expansion pack coming out for the PC version very soon. You risk not being able to play it or at the very least not play it for a long time if you are getting the MAC OS X version.

NWN2 was a great game and if you finish it you probably will want to play the expansion pack.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't think that bootcamp updates will be tied to the OS you have until we get 10.6.x, since IIRC they will be selling bootcamp seperatly from Leopard for Tiger users, so both of those versions should be the same and get the same updates.

Hmmm, I wonder how (if) they will prevent people who haven't bought it from getting the driver updates? Or maybe it'll just be that the Bootcamp OS X app will be so handy with the fast hibernate-based switching.

Anyway, this thread got me to look into this game a little today:

Is it good or bad?

Seems like a lot of people are complaining about it being buggy and slow on the PC. I guess I won't buy it right away to see if those things are resolved.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
It's not just the expense of buying a 20$ game. It's also the expense of buying XP or Vista. THAT is hugely expensive. JUST to pay 20$ for a game.

Buy the Mac version. It'll be native and won't require you to dig so deep to pay for it.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was offering an opinion to the question:

"It's $19.99 on the shelves of our local Gamestops. I can understand a delay, but do you guys think the interest will even be there still to draw a profit?"

I was not saying you should only run it in bootcamp. There are challenges to Aspyr making a profit on this title if they only make it for intel macs. Let me reiterate:
1. Competition from many other titles like: C&C3, Unreal 3, BF 2142, Need for Speed Carbon, Harry Potter, Madden 08, Tiger Woods, Gears of War. To name a few new titles.
2. ...and yes people can run the PC version in bootcamp and only spend $20. BTW no one is going to buy XP or Vista just to play NWN, and I never said they should. However, there are plenty of people who own a copy of XP from a previous PC (I have 2 copies), who wont be paying anything extra. There are also some hardcore players who would plunk down money for a new copy of XP or Vista and not to only play NWN, but all the games that are not available on the mac. To them its an investment to play many games not just one $20 game.

This is a challenge to Aspyr making a profit on this title. I think they may have better success if they make NWN UB so that it would play on older machines. Game developers seem to be ignoring people on G5s and powerbooks. This is a potential audience that Aspyr could make some good income from if the game is universal.

That was my point I hope I clarified it for you. I for one would prefer to play in OSX and support OSX developers.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

It was about that long by the time the original NWN was out for Mac, sans the editor. I think it's finally been reduced in price to $29.99 but that's been 6 years since the Windows version went live, right?

I hope that they can do it efficiently but it would be nice if these things were planned from the start so that they took less time to port.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
But there is an expansion pack coming out for the PC version very soon. You risk not being able to play it or at the very least not play it for a long time if you are getting the MAC OS X version.

NWN2 was a great game and if you finish it you probably will want to play the expansion pack.

I've played it on the PC and thought it was excellent, FWIW.

I played the first NWN on a mac and though I liked the storyline in general, I wasn't too crazy about the interface or the switch to 3rd (?) edition AD&D rules. I actually preferred the interface and rules from the Baldur's Gate series. Have they made many changes in NWN2 or is it just an updated NWN?

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
Editing tools will not be included...

Just in case anyone missed it, like NWN1 the new port will not have the editing tools that pc users get. It looks like once again we get to pay full price for an incomplete game...:(

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/08/21/nwn2/index.php

Alas, the Mac version will once again lack those tools (the same limitation existed with the Mac conversion of the first Neverwinter Nights game).

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
I played the first NWN on a mac and though I liked the storyline in general, I wasn't too crazy about the interface or the switch to 3rd (?) edition AD&D rules. I actually preferred the interface and rules from the Baldur's Gate series. Have they made many changes in NWN2 or is it just an updated NWN?

It's mostly improvements from NWN1... and the rules in NWN2 were updated to 3.5. If you didn't like the 3rd edition rules from NWN1, you probably won't like these either (though there's obviously been some changes from 3.0e to 3.5e , and NWN2 are closer to the PnP rules than NWN1 was).

- Improved graphics (and unfortunately more demanding on the hardware than might be expected, but so was NWN1 in the beginning).
- More ways to customize your character (hair, colour, height/weight).
- Real sub races (not just the lame text field like in NWN1).
- The interface was changed. IMO, it's better than the one in NWN1. Just quicker and easier to do stuff, like casting spells.
- More focus on parties. And UI stuff like being able to click-drag with your mouse to select your party members/summons (was included in some patch). Camera modes will be changed in the next patch. One new option will be a top down camera called strategy mode, which should be more useful for parties.
- The included official campaign, despite some weaknesses, is a whole lot better than the one in the original NWN1 (expansions not included). Some great parts (defend yourself at trial, manage a keep), some not-so-great parts (endless orc filled dungeons). And unlike KotOR 2, the last parts of the game doesn't feel (too) rushed. It's not the Best Game Ever, but It's pretty decent overall. (BG2 is still my gold standard).

Lots and lots of changes were also made to the toolset, which Mac users unfortunately won't get. Basically, it was made more powerful, but it's more demanding on the user.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I've played it on the PC and thought it was excellent, FWIW.

It's good to hear positive comments from you and others. Who am I kidding, though: I'm going to buy it anyway :D.

The sub-race improvements sound interesting... I have a kobold scorcerer/monk character I developed, but it never felt right trying to role-play it in NWN1.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
The sub-race improvements sound interesting... I have a kobold scorcerer/monk character I developed, but it never felt right trying to role-play it in NWN1.

Unfortunately, kobolds aren't one of the available subraces in a standard install :p
It's basically various elf (eg drow), dwarf, gnome and halfling subraces + planetouched (aasimar, tieflings), with appropriate stat adjustments, powers/abilities, level penalties, favored class etc.

They removed the text box from NWN1, but the underlying system seems more flexible, and Obsidian seems willing to improve it. People have added more subraces already, like wild elves. Plus there's some tools out there that makes it easier to add some more exotic ones if wanted.

fblack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2006
USA
NWN 2 intel only...

Aspyr has listed specs and minimum is an intel chipset, too bad i think it could have run on G5s. Also they don't list integrated graphics (macbooks) as supported.

http://www.aspyr.com/product/game_specs/84

Mac Release Date: December 2007
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.10
CPU Processor: Intel Chipset
CPU Speed: 1.83 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Disk Space: 6.5 GB Hard Drive Space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon X1600
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 7300
Video Memory (VRam): 128 MB
Media Required: DVD Drive
MULTIPLAYER REQUIREMENTS:
Internet(TCP/IP) or LAN play supported
Internet play requires broadband connection
RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
CPU Speed: 2.1 GHz
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4.10
Memory: 2 GB
Video Memory (VRam): 256
Supported Video cards:

NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 7600, 8600
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500
ATI Radeon X1600, X1900

NOTICE: This game contains technology intended to prevent copying that may conflict with some disk and virtual disk drives.

NOTICE: Apple Intel Chipsets only. Power PC Processors (G4 and G5) are not supported.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Unfortunately, kobolds aren't one of the available subraces in a standard install :p
It's basically various elf (eg drow), dwarf, gnome and halfling subraces + planetouched (aasimar, tieflings), with appropriate stat adjustments, powers/abilities, level penalties, favored class etc.

They removed the text box from NWN1, but the underlying system seems more flexible, and Obsidian seems willing to improve it. People have added more subraces already, like wild elves. Plus there's some tools out there that makes it easier to add some more exotic ones if wanted.

LOL, I didn't think of a badger :D. I'll have to look in to how these were done...

^^^ Those system requirements are painful ^^^
I'm OK with my MBP, but man, those requirements really cut a lot of people out of the loop...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.