Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone checked if 13.5 beta 4 fixes this? IPP primary work device so I can’t play public beta roulette.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I’m having this problem on my iPad Air 2. I have several mp4 videos in Goodreader and they just won’t play now. Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of video, it includes trailers and purchased music videos from iTunes (!) so I don’t think it’s an intentional attempt at control, rather a bug, which hopefully they will fix soon.

Edit: Updated the app and videos seem to be working again now. But something in the OS definitely broke videos in the older version, so something was going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
How’s the issue with the latest beta? If this is somehow solved, I will update to iPadOS 13.5 when the final release is out (hopefully tomorrow?).

I’d like the media apps (VLC, nPlayer) to be updated as well, maybe it is an issue on their end.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Still effing broken w iOS 13.5. I’ve filed a complaint with the FTC and my state AG. breaking something that has worked since the iPad launched and the timing is too sketch imo.

Attachments

• 6453EA39-06E8-482A-9E9F-D173758E3D63.png
    6453EA39-06E8-482A-9E9F-D173758E3D63.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 280

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Still effing broken w iOS 13.5. I’ve filed a complaint with the FTC and my state AG. breaking something that has worked since the iPad launched and the timing is too sketch imo.

Bad that it remains broken but I highly doubt that the government would get involved with a s/w bug like this. That would be a bag of worms and bad precedent, not to mention that they've got bigger fish to fry these days.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Never know. Squeaky wheel. I’m also firing off an email to Tim Cook or the exec complaint line. Gotten some resolution from it before. I encorage everyone with this problem and whose mp4 library is totally useless to do the same tcook@apple.com

Does the sample back in this post have the problem on your device?

I ask because I tried it and it works fine for me.

Edit - this was under 13.5 (released).

Last edited:

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Stated in earlier post I’ve installed 13.5. I’m starting to wonder if this is specific to certain devices.

Last edited:

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
How were these files encoded? You also say they are MP4 but technically MP4 is a container format and not a codec. What is the codec of the video and audio?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Did you guys try calling Apple?

If you are using iCloud Photo Library try logging out of your AppleID on the device and back in.

I had this issue on an AppleTV years ago and was because the iCloud log in was wonky after an update. Relogging resets it.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Lol of course.

Some folks in the media have picked it up too.

Apple content seems to play fine. The problem is with some video libraries-files loaded on the iPad via iTunes. When they are played in the iOS TV app it throws the error message. This started immediately after updating to iOS 13.4. It’s a bug, no one is sure the nature (video codec, audio codec, resolution, etc...). It also appears to affect other video apps, which leads me to believe its in iOS.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Going back to this sample -

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...em-loading-this-content.2228293/post-28405389

I copied it into Files and got a failure when trying to play it. I copied it into nPlayer and it plays fine there.

Edit: From within Files, I shared and opened with Infuse & VLC and those apps could also play it. Tried to play it with FileBrowser for Business and FileExplorer Pro and it would not play; both of these play other mp4 files without a problem.

Last edited:

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Here’s latest version of nplayer playing same file right after iOS TV app which threw the “there’s a problem loading this content” error. Same problem, different error message. Played fine on both apps before 13.4.

I can’t explain why the file isn’t working, all I know is it started immediately after updating to iOS 13.4 and persisted with every subsequent release, including 13.5.

if you’ve got the problem, recommend you escalate. Only way it’ll get fixed.

Attachments

• 2090C462-F3F6-4B6A-BC4B-0F9452A13A23.jpeg
    2090C462-F3F6-4B6A-BC4B-0F9452A13A23.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 229

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
It only happens on files with 5.1 audio? Or is anyone experiencing troubles with simpler files? I ask because I don’t have any file with audio in 5.1 channels and maybe I could update my iPad, currently at 13.3.1

On the other hand, maybe if you contact with nPlayer they, as developers, can investigate the issue and contact Apple to address the issue together...

Finally, while I stay on 13.3.1, if you want me to do any kind of test, just let me know! The file on the first page works fine even on Files app.

Oh and thank you for keeping us up to date!

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Looking at file info, audio channels = 6 which I assume is 5.1.

Great minds. Contacted NPlayer and Infuse devs In the hopes they could reach out to the Apple team responsible. No news.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
No, I can play AAC 5.1 on my Pro in nPlayer & Infuse.

That doesn't mean anything. Certain third party media players can transcode on-the-fly from unsupported to supported codec. I use that feature when casting to Chromecast that has limited codec support.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
That doesn't mean anything. Certain third party media players can transcode on-the-fly from unsupported to supported codec. I use that feature when casting to Chromecast that has limited codec support.

So only iOS native apps can't play AAC 5.1?

Raj Mahabir

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Hi all... I can tell you based on my own diagnosis that the issue happens if the movie file in question is encoded with 5.1 channel sound, and its bit rate is more than 200 kbps. I made a playlist of all my mp4s above and below that mark. All the ones below are 2 channel sound and play fine. All the ones above that throw the error. This is on both my iPad Pro 3rd generation and my iPhone XR. But it’s not on my iPad Pro 1st generation, not even on 13.5. The only workaround is to use headphones, either plug-in or Bluetooth. As soon as the device tries to play this directly, the error is thrown. I reported this to Apple and the only suggestion they gave me that I hadn’t already tried was to delete and reinstall the tv app. But that did not help. Good luck to all of us!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Hi all... I can tell you based on my own diagnosis that the issue happens if the movie file in question is encoded with 5.1 channel sound, and its bit rate is more than 200 kbps. I made a playlist of all my mp4s above and below that mark. All the ones below are 2 channel sound and play fine. All the ones above that throw the error. This is on both my iPad Pro 3rd generation and my iPhone XR. But it’s not on my iPad Pro 1st generation, not even on 13.5. The only workaround is to use headphones, either plug-in or Bluetooth. As soon as the device tries to play this directly, the error is thrown. I reported this to Apple and the only suggestion they gave me that I hadn’t already tried was to delete and reinstall the tv app. But that did not help. Good luck to all of us!

What app are you using to play the file with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.