Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Supposedly a fix for "an mp4 playback problem" is in 13.5.1 -

https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/guyveo
Cool! According to that, it fixes the bug with .mp4 files, as well as the battery drain? I find it too optimistic, I thought it was just an update to close the jailbreak door, can anyone link this changelog from an official source?

Edit: those are apparently just assumptions from that youtuber, nothing more than a whishlist. Anyway thanks for sharing.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Cool! According to that, it fixes the bug with .mp4 files, as well as the battery drain? I find it too optimistic, I thought it was just an update to close the jailbreak door, can anyone link this changelog from an official source?

Edit: those are apparently just assumptions from that youtuber, nothing more than a whishlist. Anyway thanks for sharing.

I tried playing an mp4 with h.264 and AAC 5.1 in Files - it won't play but no error message, just a black screen with the play arrow in the middle that only blinks when selected. Same video plays fine in nPlayer.

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Nope. Latest version of NPlayer. The fact this hits more than native apps means it’s a coding issue with the media stack. Keep in mind this worked fine for basically a decade before 13.4.

Attachments

• DCD46762-5178-4380-B84C-BEB936B7448C.png
    DCD46762-5178-4380-B84C-BEB936B7448C.png
    260.1 KB · Views: 148

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Nope. Latest version of NPlayer. The fact this hits more than native apps means it’s a coding issue with the media stack. Keep in mind this worked fine for basically a decade before 13.4.

I tried this video - mp4, h.264, AAC 5.1, 320kbps audio - in nPlayer and it works. It won't play in Files. What is different with what failed for you?

1591278983513.png

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
Still the same with the 13.5.5 Beta too :(

All my movies are encoded with a 5.1 AAC soundtrack. So frustrating that this no longer works.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
What’s really strange is if you use headphones they play fine. I put my AirPods in and they play fine. Without headphones it throws up that error!

Gatafreak

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
What’s really strange is if you use headphones they play fine. I put my AirPods in and they play fine. Without headphones it throws up that error!

It’s exactly as you said. After i searched online everywhere to see if I was the only one having this problem, I was quite relieved to see this forum with so many of you having facing the same issue. And after reading your post, i immediately connected my bluetooth headphones and all the videos worked. What a relief! I have over 600 mp4 movies on my iPad. Ever since I updated to 13.5.1 only a few of them work. The rest, like many of you mentioned, gives a message saying “There is an error loading this content”. But at least they all work for now with the headphones till they fix the bug hopefully in the next update. So thank you for that information.

mateytate

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2014
Its FIXED in 13.6 public beta! The few MP4s with 5.1 AAC i have tested now work without headphones again :)

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thank you guys, thanks for you reports, thanks for your research, probably thanks to you we’ve got it fixed!

Now, I’m going to wait until the 13.6, or maybe 13.6.1, perform a restore and fresh install, and hit hard that toggle to avoid future updates to download automatically on my iPad. I’ll wait until I see iPadOS 14 is mature enough, hopefully before the end of the year.

Gatafreak

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020
Finally, all movie files are working again on the iPad Pro as they should be. The new update fixed the bug. Woo!

• Love
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.