Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Hi!
Usually, after a firmware update, the forum is flooded with threads of people complaining about how the firmware has made the sound quality worse, worse ANC, etc.
Occasionally there is some praise about improved sound.
But this time I have seen no such threads.
So, I was wondering if any of you have experienced any improvements after the 4A400 update.
We know that the update brought conversation boost and support for Find My, but have you experienced any difference when it comes to sound quality, microphone quality during phone calls, ANC, etc?
Personally, I haven’t noticed much difference in any of those areas in my AirPods Pro or AirPods Max.
So, has Apple for once not touched the sound quality / ANC quality at all?

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
Find My is working with my APM on iOS 15.0.1 and the latest firmware.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Find my works on iPhone 13 Pro Max 15.0, APP 4A400. Conversation Boost does not even appear as an option in Setting-Accessibility-Audio/Visual-Headphone Accommodations.

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Find my still only works if they are connected to your phone.. I cant see how this is on any use whatsoever.. The left behind function only works if connected.. Its plain useless.. I will keep my air tag connected to the case.. Apple seems to be clutching at straws to find "new features"

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
Find my still only works if they are connected to your phone.. I cant see how this is on any use whatsoever.. The left behind function only works if connected.. Its plain useless.. I will keep my air tag connected to the case.. Apple seems to be clutching at straws to find "new features"
They do not need to be connected.

Reactions: Solver and MrLoL

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
FYSA, none of the new features showed up immediately after my APP updated. Had to unpair my APP and reboot my phone. It was then that stuff started showing up and working.

Reactions: Solver and philrock

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014

My impression is that this works basically just like an air tag. If you mark your headphones as lost, any apple device within bluetooth range can pick it up and drop a pin.

Reactions: KrisLord

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
My impression is that this works basically just like an air tag. If you mark your headphones as lost, any apple device within bluetooth range can pick it up and drop a pin.
It also even has a pseudo precision tracker that uses Bluetooth signal to determine distance when you’re nearby. Obviously can’t use the real deal since the AirPods don’t have a U1 chip.

Reactions: alels

Telesmurfen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for all the replies ? seems like nobody else has noticed any big differences when it comes to sound quality, call quality or ANC either, as just about every reply to my first post has been about other things…
I wish that the outdoors call quality would have been improved, that the ANC would have been a tad stronger (or adjustable) and that it would have added a little more depth/bass to the sound. Would’ve been great with both music and movies.

Reactions: mabaker

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Thank you for posting this. I was already concerned about possible downsides about the ANC.

davemc0

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2021
I think this firmware update bricked my AirPods Pro! I can't think of any other possible thing that would make them suddenly stop working without anything physical happening to them. See my post for details.

Last edited:

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
They do not need to be connected.
Mine seem to.. They havent checked in for over a day since being updated and lost.. Havent played a sound when asked to. (but sitting on my desk)

I will keep playing with them i guess and wait for a bug fix..

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
I have now found that Find my on the iPhone (15.0.1) works and they work basically the same as the Airtag, and update using the Find My network. But the Macbook Pro and iMac the FindMy app doesnt update at all, unless they are connected to the iPhone vi BT..

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Did anyone notice that on APM there is a battery drain overnight? I'm finding my headphones drop around 15% overnight?

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I find the firmware updates have caused many many more problems than they saw. My AirPods Max and AirPods Pro constantly disconnect and then disappear from Find My at the same time. Then I have to repair both devices again and again to get them to work. God for bid if I go to the Find My section and look at the devices that they drop off. It’s the biggest update I have ever seen in my entire life on Apple AirPods.

Reactions: Schranke

kjell

macrumors member
May 22, 2012
My AirPods 2 sound different (in a bad way) when using for phone calls since this update. It's as if they're slightly out of sync and left and right interfere with each other. For music they sound as they used to. Anybody else noticing this?

bigshot

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2021
Go into settings and forget your AirPods, then reassociate them. That will fix your problem I bet, kjell.

Reactions: kjell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.