Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Well, I just went out to run a few errands, and despite the fact my headphones and my APP case were at 100% when I left the apartment, my APPs ran out of battery after about 90 minutes. I put them in the case to recharge, and put them back in my ears. According to my phone, they only charged to 10% and the case was completely depleted.

I've owned the APP since release and never encountered anything like this before. Hoping this was just an anomaly, but I'm going to recharge everything to 100% and see how long it takes to drain. If it's anything less than normal, I'll be making a support appointment tomorrow.

Viremia

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2006
I can't be sure what exactly happened, but when I woke up the day after the firmware update, my APPs had updated. Great, I think. Put them in my ears a couple hours later, got about 5 seconds of audio and then they disconnected. Tried putting them back in the case and taking them out. Nothing. Checked bluetooth settings and saw that all my paired headphones (except some cheap Sonys) had been forgotten. I've had to re-pair my original pods, my APPs, and my Beats headphones. That was weird and annoying.

Also, Find My is proving pretty useless.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I can't be sure what exactly happened, but when I woke up the day after the firmware update, my APPs had updated. Great, I think. Put them in my ears a couple hours later, got about 5 seconds of audio and then they disconnected. Tried putting them back in the case and taking them out. Nothing. Checked bluetooth settings and saw that all my paired headphones (except some cheap Sonys) had been forgotten. I've had to re-pair my original pods, my APPs, and my Beats headphones. That was weird and annoying.

That sounds more like an iOS issue than your AirPods firmware. I can’t see how a firmware update would cause your phone to forget all your Bluetooth devices.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
My APP have been acting weird ever since the update. The one I take out of the case first will connect without any problems, but the 2nd one will take forever or even need a few retries putting both back in the case and take them out.

Not a problem I had before the firmware update

jaredwsmith

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2015
Charleston, SC
Well, I just went out to run a few errands, and despite the fact my headphones and my APP case were at 100% when I left the apartment, my APPs ran out of battery after about 90 minutes. I put them in the case to recharge, and put them back in my ears. According to my phone, they only charged to 10% and the case was completely depleted.

I've owned the APP since release and never encountered anything like this before. Hoping this was just an anomaly, but I'm going to recharge everything to 100% and see how long it takes to drain. If it's anything less than normal, I'll be making a support appointment tomorrow.
Interested to know how this turned out. I'm not seeing what you're seeing with the case (at least not yet), but I have definitely noticed that the AirPods themselves drain a lot faster since the 4A400 update.

Reactions: Phuz01

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Interested to know how this turned out. I'm not seeing what you're seeing with the case (at least not yet), but I have definitely noticed that the AirPods themselves drain a lot faster since the 4A400 update.

I fully recharged both the case and the earbuds, and in the days since I haven't had any similar episodes. Battery life definitely seems to be underperforming since this last update, though. I used to be able to get through 3 back-to-back 30-minute meetings before recharging, and now I'm lucky if they last through two.

Reactions: jaredwsmith

JohnE121

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2021
Columbus Ohio
Mine went from 92% to 76% in 24 hours just sitting around. I disconnected, and reset then re-connecteded them and disabled automatically connect. They have been stable for an hour lol. Thanks for the suggestions. I will check back for more.

JohnE121

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2021
Columbus Ohio
I left for an hour without my AirPods and I was getting notifications that I left them behind. When I returned the battery was down an additional 2%. I am guessing that they were trying to ping my phone and consumed the battery. I disabled that notification. Do I need to remove them from "Find My" to stop the battery drain?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I left for an hour without my AirPods and I was getting notifications that I left them behind. When I returned the battery was down an additional 2%. I am guessing that they were trying to ping my phone and consumed the battery. I disabled that notification. Do I need to remove them from "Find My" to stop the battery drain?
I was getting a battery drain with both my AirPods Max and my AirPods Pro Since updating. So I changed the setting from automatic connection to when last connected and that stopped the drain with both sets

Reactions: helloapple1

LSUstang05

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
Mine operate worse than before. If I just use one earbud it doesn’t go into transparency mode. It just defaults to no-mode. I have to put both earbuds in, toggle noise cancellation with the stem, then toggle back to transparency for it to work. Pretty frustrating to be honest. Was working fine with Find My before too. Wish I could roll back to the previous firmware.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I fully recharged both the case and the earbuds, and in the days since I haven't had any similar episodes. Battery life definitely seems to be underperforming since this last update, though. I used to be able to get through 3 back-to-back 30-minute meetings before recharging, and now I'm lucky if they last through two.

Another day, another APP battery experience. Today, I had the buds and the case at 100% before getting on 90 minutes' worth of meetings, and at the end I still had 47% charge remaining on both the left and right buds. Unclear as to whether this is because I spent more time muted in these meetings than in ones earlier this week, but I'm having a very difficult time determining just exactly what is going on.

Also noticed when I flipped open the case that optimized charging had been activated; I haven't done enough investigation on the impact of that on the APPs. Is there a way to check for Battery health of the case and the earbuds?

turilli

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2021
Hello,

I am experiencing the same high battery consumption issue after 4A400 update on brand new replaced pair or AirPods Pro (they were replaced under warranty after cracks and pops and bad noise cancelling).

Essentially I’ve been able to measure that by average it consumes 1% battery of the case per hour (checking it every hour for 6 consecutive hours). I’ve tried to “hard reset” the AirPods Pro but the issue persists.

I’ve also contacted Apple Support and they told me to make a test that consisted in measuring the case charge and then unpair the AirPods from all of my devices, then to pair them back again and measure if there was a battery drain. In that case, there was 1% drain after 5 hours which I think is totally normal.

With those results I called back Apple support and they told me that this power consumption when paired is because they are always ready paired and ready to be used, I already expressed them that I don’t see that consumption normal and the person that attended me told me that they will escalate it, he also told me that it will be better if people starts reporting the topic from different locations to Apple Support so it becomes escalated properly.

I hope this information is useful for all of you.

Have a good day

Reactions: Phuz01 and JohnE121

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Just checked my AirPods Pros after charging last night. Unused and still on 100%. As I said I found that switching from automatically connecting to connect to last used stops any battery drain as before this I lost 30% in four days

Reactions: helloapple1

helloapple1

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2020
I have noticed that the ANC on my AirPods Pro have gotten a little worse after this update. This is extremely upsetting.

Phuz01

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I think whenever a new firmware comes down, people's expectation bias runs overtime trying to discern differences that don't exist.

It's easy to attribute anomalous behavior or performance to updates, as that's often the number one delta on people's minds. Correlation isn't causation, and all that fun stuff. I'm probably just as guilty as anybody, but that doesn't necessarily mean updated firmware isn't the root cause of observed behavior that's new and/or different.

Jamesk811

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2015
It's easy to attribute anomalous behavior or performance to updates, as that's often the number one delta on people's minds. Correlation isn't causation, and all that fun stuff. I'm probably just as guilty as anybody, but that doesn't necessarily mean updated firmware isn't the root cause of observed behavior that's new and/or different.
You lost me at anomalous

• Wow
Reactions: perezr10 and Phuz01

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
That sounds more like an iOS issue than your AirPods firmware. I can’t see how a firmware update would cause your phone to forget all your Bluetooth devices.
This has been happening to me too, constantly. Same exact thing. iOS beta 15.1 beta 4. But it happened as soon as the AirPods Pro and max were updated. It’s non stop and when one disconnects they both become unpaired.

I’ve literally never seen this issue on either the Pros or Max through many different versions of iOS. Only when they themselves were upgraded to the 400 FW. It’s maddening.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013

Did you ever find a solution to this? I have to literally repair my pros or my max 5,6,7 times in a row before they stay active. It’s almost like if I’m close to the max with the pro or vice versa they cause each other to drop. Once I’m out of the house, they work fine. Once I get back, or God forbid I open up Find My, they both disconnect and unpair.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
AirPods Pro linked to 12 ProMax and iPad Pro 11 (2020)

Sound seems about the same
Noticed that Noise Cancellation has gotten worse.
Have noticed no improvement on pairing
Cannot speak to Find My as this feature I do not use.

Overall, not quite sure what this supposed to really do.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2015
Find my network option in settings > Bluetooth, for AirPods Pro showing only on iPad and not on iPhone.

the screenshot from iPhone as well as iPad are attached. AirPods Pro is updated to 4A400.
anyone else?

Screenshot 2021-10-16 at 1.49.35 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.