Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
How could the vision pro cannibalise ipad sales? They are two completely different products at completely different price points.

Tbh I largely use my iPad to watch content, and that’s what I use VP for. Latter is inconvenient for portability rn but it could get there

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Hmm...the vision Pro "Wand".

Could be useful for a pointing device, drawing, text input. Bonus point if it can magnetically attach to the speaker arms above your ear.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I think I read it in this Bloomberg opinion piece below as well as other places. Yes the price is wayyy out from being competitive against the iPad, but their thinking is that eventually the casual content consumption places you might use an iPad could easily be done 'on yah face'. About the only thing an iPad can do that a headset can't is use a pencil as an input device.

I understand they are wildly different formats, but perform very similar tasks. Heck, the Vision Pro even has (mostly) the whole iPad App library to use.

Also my iPad cost the better part of $2000 once I got the pen and case. (I'm such a rube!)

Vision is not going to replace iPad from a consumer perspective. Apple is probably talking about it as a replacement revenue stream. Because no matter how you slice it an iPad and a Vision are two completely different things. iPad has clear advantages over Vision and vice versa. A headset can’t and doesn’t need to replace a tablet or slate.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Vision is not going to replace iPad from a consumer perspective. Apple is probably talking about it as a replacement revenue stream. Because no matter how you slice it an iPad and a Vision are two completely different things. iPad has clear advantages over Vision and vice versa. A headset can’t and doesn’t need to replace a tablet or slate.

We are talking about function here, not form. I own an iPhone, several iPads, several Macs, and an AVP. But there are only 24 hours in a day. By far my iPad time has decreased with my use of the AVP, followed by a slight decrease in my Mac time, with my phone time not being decreased at all. And my interest in the new iPad Pro has also significantly decreased with my continued use of the AVP. This iteration of AVP won't replace the iPad, any more than the first iPhone replaced the iPod. But where is the iPod now?

Reactions: doelcm82

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
How could the vision pro cannibalise ipad sales? They are two completely different products at completely different price points.
The same way the iPhone cannibalized iPod sales, despite the cheapest iPod being $49, the iPod touch only being $200 in the iPhone being… Anywhere from $430-$1500.
Maybe it won’t replace the $300 iPad or the iPad mini or even the iPad Air for a really long time, but once the VP is $2000, it really will become a difficult choice between a $1500 iPad plus keyboard case plus pencil and a $2000 VP.
Or Vision Air, whatever they call it.
We are still talking about several decades from now, the first iPhone came out in 2007 and the last iPod wasn’t discontinued until 2022 so…
Maybe in 2039 there will be no more iPads, who knows.

Last edited:

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
You’ll be stabbing people and poking peoples eyes out whilst using your headset in no time.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
My handwriting with the Apple Pencil on iPad looks like a drunk chicken trying to write a prescription. I can’t imagine how laughably bad it’ll look on AVP. Although that could just be a me problem.

Reactions: Exponent

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Feels pretty unlikely as long as Vision Pro is so expensive. But I think iPad and Vision Pro are positioned to work together better than “I can see my Mac screen in a floating window”.
They can do it by making the iPad a lot more expensive lol

Numbah One

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2007
If the visionOS-compatible pencil cannot be used as a lightsaber, it should not be released.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Where will it magnetically attach to Vision Pro?

Don’t tell me it’s by the temple area.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
My handwriting with the Apple Pencil on iPad looks like a drunk chicken trying to write a prescription. I can’t imagine how laughably bad it’ll look on AVP. Although that could just be a me problem.

I wonder why that is? I can write on an iPad and have it come out very close to my “real world” script, but it isn’t the same as writing on paper. It seems as if the pencil is sampling enough to get an accurate line but maybe it needs a higher frequency readout? Also, the slippery screen of an iPad is nothing like paper. Screen protectors exist that have a paper-like surface and on the Microsoft side they use haptics in the stylus to replicate paper feel. Personally, I’m hoping that the rumor of a matte screen iPad dovetails with a smarter, more capable Apple Pencil to achieve “… the most paper-like experience we’ve ever had on iPad. We think you’re going to love it.”

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Tablets are popular for drawing and painting despite physical pencils existing.

Very true. With the right setup you can achieve a lot more with a slate and pen interface than you can with paper and pencil. But it still isn’t a 1:1 with drawing or painting for any number of pretty critical reasons. While tablet art creation emulates existing media it actually is a different media in and of itself and often has to be used that way. In other words, your drawing skills may not directly translate.

What a lot of us would like is an iPad and pencil that can far more closely replicate the real world painting/drawing tools that we prefer.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Very true. With the right setup you can achieve a lot more with a slate and pen interface than you can with paper and pencil. But it still isn’t a 1:1 with drawing or painting for any number of pretty critical reasons. While tablet art creation emulates existing media it actually is a different media itself. What a lot of us would like is an iPad and pencil that can far more closely replicate real world painting/drawing tools.
Sure. But “PeNcIlS eXiSt” is always a silly response to a genre of use which has proven itself to be popular and useful. I’m just thinking of how VR could transform the experience of digitally drawing/painting. Maybe those experiences already exist but to what level of polish?

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Sure. But “PeNcIlS eXiSt” is always a silly response to a genre of use which has proven itself to be popular and useful. I’m just thinking of how VR could transform the experience of digitally drawing/painting. Maybe those experiences already exist but to what level of polish?

Personally, I’d much prefer a larger iPad (say 20 or so inches), a pencil interface that can have larger or smaller bodies and a selection of tips emulating different brushes, pens and pencils.

In a VR space the pencil makes far less sense to me. In VR the painting tools should be unique to the VR experience. Replicating things like drawing with a pencil seems redundant. Some sort of pointing and painting/drawing tool, yes. But a pencil? No. The Apple Pencil is specifically designed for the iPad.

Reactions: darngooddesign

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Makes sense. I bet it's capable of being tracked the position and angle/tilt of it even when off camera, so could be used in games and stuff for very accurate tracking of the pencil.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Makes sense. I bet it's capable of being tracked the position and angle/tilt of it even when off camera, so could be used in games and stuff for very accurate tracking of the pencil.

Hard to say whether they’d expand Pencil’s capability like that. Wouldn’t it represent a concession that the Vision needs controllers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.