Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Got the new Apple TV 4K yesterday. The connection to the remote keeps getting lost, then connected again automatically. Very annoying while watching things with the pop up in the corner. Tried repairing twice. Tried hard reset. Tried charging the remote. Any ideas??

godfreytoddanderson

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021
We’ll know soon based on reply’s to this thread. Our ATV 4K original is about 15 feet away. Exact same setup as with original remote that never had connection problems.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Same thing happening here. Bought the remote only to use with existing 4K and it’s disconnected a few times with the popup in the corner.

JohnnieBBadde

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2014
Things to consider:

- Many devices with 2.4 GHz Wifi in the same room?

- ATV placed next to a computer or other device that uses USB 3.0 peripherals like external drives?

- ATV's AC power cable not guided away from the device at the back or the ATV is sitting on a nest of power cables/extension cords?

- LED lighting in the room?

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Things to consider:

- ATV placed next to a computer or other device that uses USB 3.0 peripherals like external drives?

- ATV's AC power cable not guided away from the device at the back or the ATV is sitting on a nest of power cables/extension cords?

Bullet #5: Are you trying to use it inside a house?

JohnnieBBadde

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2014
Well - Science is a bitch, man!

Especially since Apple do not have a great track record regarding electromagnetic interference this is unfortunately a serious question.

Nothing they have created so far is "magic"...

jonjames505

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Things to consider:

The Apple TV is mounted on the back of the tv amongst many cables. Could that be causing the problem?

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
I’m seeing the same problem. Funny how it’s only happened tonight and not the several hours I’ve been playing with it. Just a few observations:

1.) this problem seems unique with the Siri Remote. The classic remote, paired with the same Apple TV unit, in the same place, doesn’t appear to have the same problem. Might have to move this remote to a new room and test it there.

2.) Definitely not a battery problem. 77% charge, so it should be cool.

3.) Apple TV remote are Bluetooth, right? They shouldn’t be interfering with WiFi signals.

I get the feeling we might see a firmware push sometime in the future (if it’s capable of doing so at least). At least it’s encouraging to see others having the same problem.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I don’t have the new remote or the new Apple TV but I live in an apartment complex and the 2.4ghz spectrum is unusable here. The Apple TV box has to be line of sight for the old remote to work for us and even then it’s not great so we use our iPhones most of the time as remotes but I’ve never had it disconnect. Wow. :(

Last edited:

pacmantech

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
I am having the same issue. I have the new Apple TV box in an identical location to where the previous generation Apple TV box was. This never ever happened with the remote for the old box. Can’t seem to figure out any way of fixing it. Sometimes we won’t see it for awhile but then we see the popup for an entire show.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
I had this issue the first day. The old remote was nearby and I decided to move it out of the room. So far No disconnect message yet!

dkujay

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2021
No disconnect message but only the directional buttons and play/pause are working. Back, home, middle, and volume buttons are not.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Same exact issue here as well with the new Apple TV 4K and the new remote guys. Glad to see it’s not just me.
Is there a way to turn off that annoying pop up that comes up on the tv when the remote loses connection and then reconnects at least until this is resolved with a firmware update?

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
So an update for tvOS just came out, can someone confirm if it fixed this issue? (I won’t be home until 7pm eastern) to check

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
Same problem here. In my case the old remote has been boxed away underneath the Apple TV - maybe that's the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.