Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JippaLippa

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2013
Same here.
To be honest, as an apple fan, I'm finding the whole apple tv experience to be lackluster (First time Apple TV user)...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Got the new Apple TV 4K yesterday. The connection to the remote keeps getting lost, then connected again automatically. Very annoying while watching things with the pop up in the corner. Tried repairing twice. Tried hard reset. Tried charging the remote. Any ideas??
The same thing happens to me with my OG 4K Apple TV remote on different tv's. It has only happened a few times since I got the new remote.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Just got my new Apple TV last night, and I have the remote lost connection problem too. I mainly use a harmony remote, and just putting the Apple TV in a different place than in between the Apple TV and my harmony gets rid of the problem. (so far)

vmiamo

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
The message went away with 14.6 but the controller is now worse. It feels like it loses connection every 15 seconds where it does not react to inputs. E.g. I swipe up and nothing happens. I have to swipe multiple times and eventually it reacts. This makes it feel like the connection is constantly getting interrupted or lost. Super aggravating.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The message went away with 14.6 but the controller is now worse. It feels like it loses connection every 15 seconds where it does not react to inputs. E.g. I swipe up and nothing happens. I have to swipe multiple times and eventually it reacts. This makes it feel like the connection is constantly getting interrupted or lost. Super aggravating.
Luckily, I haven't run into that problem. Otherwise, I would be returning the remote or downgrading my Apple TV.

mam8dg

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2019
Remote disconnect issues started recently for me too. Running latest OS. Pretty annoying, hope they release a fix soon.

Reactions: TroyJam

Josquin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
Same here, already updated to the latest tvOS, got rid of the old remote, and turned of old iPads using 2,4 ghz WiFi. Remote with iPhone works good. New Apple TV remote keeps disconnecting all the time. @Apple what’s going on?

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Similar problem. I have the last Gen Apple TV 4K with the older remote (the touch surface one). That remote worked flawlessly. My normal TV remote seems to control it just fine.

I bought the latest Apple TV Siri remote (2021) and changed absolutely nothing else. I get the lot connection and reconnect message over and over.

Josquin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2021
I tried 3 different HDMI cables, including one Apple recommended. Didn’t work. I’m returning it to the repair service tomorrow.

Rockar82

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
Scotland
I’ve been having this exact problem for a couple of months now on the 4th gen Apple TV, whatever’s causing it has made the Siri remote totally useless. When I do get it to work its function is very sluggish the touchpad doesn’t work at all, word to the wise don’t unpair it from the system. It won’t re-pair, I’ve just purchased the new remote in the hope that works. I can’t put my finger on when it started exactly, but to say it’s frustrating would be an understatement. When I contacted Apple about it they just ran through the usual steps, unplug it from the socket, change hdmi lead, do a system restore, hold the menu down and volume up button in for 5 seconds. If that failed (which it did) unpair it and re-pair it, only for it not to and when I explained this the person hung up the phone 😡

One2Grift

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2021
I have an older Xbox controller I paired with my new 4K 2nd gen. It has been losing connection just as others have mentioned with their Siri remotes. My Siri remote hasn’t had any issue so I’m assuming my controller issue is not due to frequency interference.
When the controller is engaged frequently (racing game for example) it has been fine. It’s when it’s idle for moments, for example a game that doesn’t require many repeated controller commands (Oregon Trail lol) it can lose connection quite often.
i know it could be the controller and if it is? I Don’t game enough to buy a new controller for 70$. But if this one will work I’m going to take advantage of the 3 months of Arcade (possibly-ish basic AppleOne from there)
Has anyone else seen this with an Xbox controller and most importantly did they resolve it? (I’m on latest TVOS, LOS is good, position is about 10’ away from ATV. There are multiple BT devices right in the general area of my ATV)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.