Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SatchNZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
UK
I was just on the phone to Apple support as the replacement remote I received three days ago just lost connection again. I was told that Apple engineers are now working on the issue and they believe it is software related. It’s a matter of waiting for an update to come out to address the issue.

It’s a bit frustrating but at least Apple have now acknowledged there is an issue.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Been lurking in this thread for a long time, as I was dealing with the same disconnection issues after upgrading to the latest 4K model a couple of months back. The remote would lose connection after anywhere between 2h to a day. Only fix was to reboot the Apple TV. I was getting similar issues with connecting Apple Watch for Fitness+ workouts, which kind of suggested a general Bluetooth issue (also fixed after a reboot).

Anyway, finally bit the bullet and called Apple on this. They eventually told me to “update and erase”, i.e. wipe the thing and start fresh. I rolled my eyes, because it’s such a pain to do, and clearly wouldn’t change anything. But I did it.

Guess what? After more than a week, the thing hasn’t disconnected once. So far, so good. It seems rock solid.

TLDR: if like me you’ve been driven crazy by this issue, try a full erase and update - it seems to have worked for me.

SatchNZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
UK
Been lurking in this thread for a long time, as I was dealing with the same disconnection issues after upgrading to the latest 4K model a couple of months back. The remote would lose connection after anywhere between 2h to a day. Only fix was to reboot the Apple TV. I was getting similar issues with connecting Apple Watch for Fitness+ workouts, which kind of suggested a general Bluetooth issue (also fixed after a reboot).

Anyway, finally bit the bullet and called Apple on this. They eventually told me to “update and erase”, i.e. wipe the thing and start fresh. I rolled my eyes, because it’s such a pain to do, and clearly wouldn’t change anything. But I did it.

Guess what? After more than a week, the thing hasn’t disconnected once. So far, so good. It seems rock solid.

TLDR: if like me you’ve been driven crazy by this issue, try a full erase and update - it seems to have worked for me.
Thanks for your input, but could you please be a bit more specific about what you mean by a “full erase and update”? I’m assuming you mean to reset to factory settings and then set it up again by logging into the Apple TV with your existing Apple ID and restoring from iCloud?

Given most of us have been experiencing this issue from when we first purchased our 4k 3rd gen Apple TV, we set it up from scratch then, so struggling to understand how your solution would make any difference (and trying to avoid the pain of going through the reset process for no benefit).

Would you also mind posting an update in a weeks time to see if the remote continues to stay connected? Thanks!

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for your input, but could you please be a bit more specific about what you mean by a “full erase and update”? I’m assuming you mean to reset to factory settings and then set it up again by logging into the Apple TV with your existing Apple ID and restoring from iCloud?

Given most of us have been experiencing this issue from when we first purchased our 4k 3rd gen Apple TV, we set it up from scratch then, so struggling to understand how your solution would make any difference (and trying to avoid the pain of going through the reset process for no benefit).

Would you also mind posting an update in a weeks time to see if the remote continues to stay connected? Thanks!

Sorry, to be more specific I followed the “reset and update” process outlined in apples support page: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202118 - I don’t know if the “update” part matters if you’re already on the latest tvOS version, but figured I’d follow apples suggestion to the letter. I then followed the usual setup process via iPhone (QR code), syncing my Home Screen etc.

As a tech person who’s been troubleshooting tech products for decades, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either… I usually avoid the factory reset option when it seems irrelevant. But right now it’s looking good… will report back if that changes!

Reactions: SatchNZ

SatchNZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
UK
Sorry, to be more specific I followed the “reset and update” process outlined in apples support page: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202118 - I don’t know if the “update” part matters if you’re already on the latest tvOS version, but figured I’d follow apples suggestion to the letter. I then followed the usual setup process via iPhone (QR code), syncing my Home Screen etc.

As a tech person who’s been troubleshooting tech products for decades, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to me either… I usually avoid the factory reset option when it seems irrelevant. But right now it’s looking good… will report back if that changes!
Thanks for the clarification. Keen to see if the issue continues to stay away in another week. In saying that, Apple have acknowledged the issue and believe it is software related so I’m doubtful.

Panflute.net

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2023
I just got off the phone with Apple and I’m ordering my third remote. I do not have high hopes, but I think we all need to call Apple to bring this situation to their attention. Call Apple please everybody.

SatchNZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
UK
I just got off the phone with Apple and I’m ordering my third remote. I do not have high hopes, but I think we all need to call Apple to bring this situation to their attention. Call Apple please everybody.
Unfortunately it seems that no number of replacement remotes is going to help.

But I agree that the more people who call Apple, the more they are likely to listen and take action.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks for the clarification. Keen to see if the issue continues to stay away in another week. In saying that, Apple have acknowledged the issue and believe it is software related so I’m doubtful.

Bad news: After the reset, I had a longer period without issues, but after nearly a week the disconnection happened again :( — sorry for the false hope!

Took the unit straight to the Apple Store where they replaced it (both TV + remote) under warranty. Now just playing the waiting game to see if the new one holds up...

To all of you getting replacement remotes for this issue: I think you're wasting your time. I really think this is an Apple TV bluetooth problem (either software bug or hardware). I was also having intermittent problems connecting my Apple Watch to use with Fitness+ workouts (ALSO resolved immediately after an Apple TV reboot) which reinforces this. I pushed back on the idea of just replacing the remote for that reason.

Reactions: SatchNZ

SatchNZ

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
UK
Bad news: After the reset, I had a longer period without issues, but after nearly a week the disconnection happened again :( — sorry for the false hope!

Took the unit straight to the Apple Store where they replaced it (both TV + remote) under warranty. Now just playing the waiting game to see if the new one holds up...

To all of you getting replacement remotes for this issue: I think you're wasting your time. I really think this is an Apple TV bluetooth problem (either software bug or hardware). I was also having intermittent problems connecting my Apple Watch to use with Fitness+ workouts (ALSO resolved immediately after an Apple TV reboot) which reinforces this. I pushed back on the idea of just replacing the remote for that reason.
Thanks for the update. Appreciated.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
tvOS 16.3.3 available for download
C66AA3DB-4484-413B-8439-1C945E3C7FCA.jpeg

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
It's interesting that the description only notes the ATV4K 3rd generation. I had this happen twice on my second generation (although it hasn't happened in about 2 months now).

jtrue28

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
Lexington, KY
It happened once after the 16.3.3 update. I haven't seen it happen again, and I've already updated to 16.4. I'll test it out again tonight.

thewarm

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
I just installed 16.4.1 on my 2021 ATV4K and now my lightning remote is disconnecting!

chrus8051

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2015
Still happening on 16.4.1 however it's not quite as bad as it was before. I can now "revive" the remote by pressing buttons several times and eventually the remote re-syncs with the Apple TV (no real rhyme or reason just press a bunch of buttons repeatedly). Still very annoying happens every other day or so.

Drzed

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
for anyone following this it’s still happening on 17.1! Can’t believe it. Despite getting a new remote sent to me a few notes back. They’re now going to have me send my atv back for “repair”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.