Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
1702523620806.png

This monitor just came out… and the reviews are coming in. Most complain about the lack of 4K and HDR, but it is 1440p and 120hz and best of all… the built in thunderbolt 4 and all of the connectivity because of it. I was thinking about it long and hard at $649, but when I saw the price drop to $519… I pounced! Going to pair great with my M3 Pro MBP!

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Interesting. I licked through your link to see the monitor and noticed there was a 4K option, a little more expensive but not back, but on further exploration realized the 4K version is a USB-C hub monitor whereas the one you liked to, with lower res., is indeed Thunderbolt.

I don't get out to Apple Stores (there's not one close to me) or otherwise see various brand name monitor resolutions in person. In years past I had monitors well before 4K and 5K standards (granted, most weren't 27"), and I don't recall being frustrated with fuzzy text, etc...

It'll be interesting to see which options people prioritize. For that matter, while I don't expect answer, it'd be fascinating to see what consumers would opt to pay to enhance as 'base model' monitor with the falling options:

1.) Thunderbolt 3 (uncharge for 4?).
2.) 4K Resolution.
3.) 5K Resolution.
4.) 120-Hz refresh rate - price would be higher if a 4K or 5K monitor.
5.) USB-C hub function, if not Thunderbolt.
6.) Excellent in-monitor speaker sound system, like I'm told the Apple Studio Display has.
7.) Enhanced build quality - again, as the Apple Studio Display is known for. All else being equal, how much more would you pay for an aluminum body with no flex when handled to adjust it, etc...?
8.) Higher quality webcam.
9.) Center Stage option (which one reviewer thought compromised imagine quality because it took a wider angle shot and only used part of that to achieve the center stage effect).
10.) HDR.

Since you chose this monitor and specifically praised Thunderbolt for connectivity, what (besides the monitor) do you intend to connect to your MacBook Pro? Given the modest price difference, the added throughput of Thunderbolt was more valuable to you than the higher resolution of 4K, or were other factors involved?

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
1440p is fine for me. But the TB hub is better. I have found TB to be more reliable and consistent when it comes to speed. Connecting SSDs, the gigabit networking, etc all seem better, faster and more reliable. I have used USB-C devices hubs/monitors in the past and they can be hit or miss with one even “burning out” and ceasing function.

Reactions: picpicmac

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
How has it worked for you?
I like it but there are some caveats. It is only a 1440p monitor. It is ok at native resolution... proportionally the same as the built-in display as my MBP, however... the HiDPI mode for 1440p is 720p... which makes things too big for web browsing and other tasks... so I just keep it set to 1440p native. Performance is great. The built in ports from the Thunderbolt 4 hub work flawlessly. The monitor provides 90w PD to my Macbook Pro. The included stand supports variable heights, tilt (up/down & left/right) and rotate of screen. Like I said, well worth $519 on sale. (Still on sale at the time of this reply.)

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I like it but there are some caveats.
Did you connect it (for video) to the HDMI port, or are you doing video over TB?

I always wonder about interoperability with Macs. For example:
1) does the brightness controls on the Mac keyboard control the Dell brightness?
2) can the Mac put the Dell screen to sleep without disconnecting any device connected through the Dell's built-in hub?
3) does the screen's color palette match that of Macs?
4) do you get any flicker?

All too often the serial connections through monitors can be iffy, and not work well with Macs.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I don’t get it. Why put up with a crappy monitor just to get a Thunderbolt hub when you can get a Caldigit TS4 or similar and pair it with whatever monitor you want? (And also get Ethernet, card slots, usb ports, Thunderbolt ports, audio ports and DisplayPort.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Supermallet

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I don’t get it. Why put up with a crappy monitor just to get a Thunderbolt hub when you can get a Caldigit TS4 or similar and pair it with whatever monitor you want? (And also get Ethernet, card slots, usb ports, Thunderbolt ports, audio ports and DisplayPort.)
Dell Ultrasharp monitors are not 'crappy'.....:p
They are factory calibrated before shipping and very good quality.

I have 2 U2715H which are beautiful.
Not everyone wants or feels they 'have to' have 4k+

Reactions: picpicmac

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
Why put up with a crappy monitor just to get a Thunderbolt hub when you can get a Caldigit TS4 or similar and pair it with whatever monitor you want?
Discussions of the Caldigit TS4 tend to ding it on high price, IIRC (quick Googling shows it's around $400). A number of people looking at non-Apple monitors would seriously consider an Apple Studio Display (which has Thunderbolt) except for its high price, so they look at cheaper options. I'm not suggesting the ASD is perfect or covers all features, but price seems to be the big thing holding many people back.

I've also noticed in discussions about the desirability of iMacs that some people really value the aesthetics of very minimum cords and desktop clutter.

Thunderbolt isn't a common interface on monitors, so the ones I see on offer tend to lean a bit toward the higher end.

So, the Caldigit TS4 + 'whatever monitor you want' a better value proposition than a Thunderbolt monitor?

I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' answer to that. That said, if a Thunderbolt monitor offers what you want (e.g.: the ports you'll use), then how much of a case is there for buying a very similar monitor sans Thunderbolt + a Caldigit TS4?

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden

I tried the top-rated 4K monitor after switching from a 5K iMac to an M1 MBP, and couldn’t stand it, and replaced it with an ASD the moment they were released. Refresh rate, color accuracy, color range and brightness doesn’t mean much to me if text isn’t sharp. 🤷‍♂️

If you’re happy with 1440p at 27”, I guess that’s great, for you.

So, the Caldigit TS4 + 'whatever monitor you want' a better value proposition than a Thunderbolt monitor?

I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' answer to that.

All good points.

I would argue though, that if you need to connect ANYTHING besides power to an iMac or a laptop, mounting a hub underneath the desk is far cleaner than having cables hanging off the back of the iMac or monitor.

Mostly I was just surprised that anyone would accept a clearly inferior (in my opinion of course) monitor just for Thunderbolt.

Reactions: drrich2

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I don't recall saying that this monitor was the best at anything. I did however say it was great and I find it worth it at the price point.... $519. I doubt you will get a Caldigit TS4 AND a monitor that meets your (seemingly) high standards for only $519.... so OF COURSE this Dell monitor will be inferior to that.

Reactions: MarkC426

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
$500 still seems like a lot for a 1440p display. I get that the internal hub adds to the price, but still…

Then again, I paid $1500 for a 5K display, so any comments from me on what’s worth it or not should be ignored.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
@Agent OrangeZ, if you have the appropriate equipment and time to spare, would you be able to see if it’s possible to daisy chain another monitor to this one? I know Macs don’t support MST or daisy chaining DP to DP, but it’s not completely clear if daisy chaining TB to DP will work with this monitor on Macs.

The manual shows two options, but I’m mostly curious about the one using a TB cable to the first display and then a DP cable to the second display. (Or if a USB-C to DP/HDMI cable/adapter would work on the TB downstream port.)

1704353868147.jpeg

I’m almost considering getting this and its cheaper sibling without the TB hub (the U2724D) for a dual-display setup with matching monitors, but unsure if I’d be able to do everything with a single cable to my MBP. Otherwise, I may have to go with the more expensive route of getting a TB dock and two monitors.

Last edited:

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
@Agent OrangeZ, if you have the appropriate equipment and time to spare, would you be able to see if it’s possible to daisy chain another monitor to this one? I know Macs don’t support MST or daisy chaining DP to DP, but it’s not completely clear if daisy chaining TB to DP will work with this monitor on Macs.

The manual shows two options, but I’m mostly curious about the one using a TB cable to the first display and then a DP cable to the second display. (Or if a USB-C to DP/HDMI cable/adapter would work on the TB downstream port.)

View attachment 2332615

I’m almost considering getting this and its cheaper sibling without the TB hub (the U2724D) for a dual-display setup with matching monitors, but unsure if I’d be able to do everything with a single cable to my MBP. Otherwise, I may have to go with the more expensive route of getting a TB dock and two monitors.
While it does take someone to confirm, but it doesn't look like the monitor has a built-in TB hub, the 15W downstream is like a passthrough that you get on regular 2 TB port devices, meaning the DP port is not connected to the TB logic but the USB ports will work since it uses USB stream. The DP downstream that is used in the bottom figure seem to imply the initial connection to the laptop is already deemed a USB-only connection (judging by the icon on the cable to the laptop), to me this means it is using DP alt-mode MST.

In other words, the first monitor when connected to a TB host computer, the DP downstream output port probably don't give any signal regardless if the host supports MST or not. Then when connected to a USB host, the DP output will require the host to support MST. So for a host Mac, the DP output port on the monitor is useless.

bharat97

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2024
Interesting. I licked through your link to see the monitor and noticed there was a 4K option, a little more expensive but not back, but on further exploration realized the 4K version is a USB-C hub monitor whereas the one you liked to, with lower res., is indeed Thunderbolt.

I don't get out to Apple Stores (there's not one close to me) or otherwise see various brand name monitor resolutions in person. In years past I had monitors well before 4K and 5K standards (granted, most weren't 27"), and I don't recall being frustrated with fuzzy text, etc...

It'll be interesting to see which options people prioritize. For that matter, while I don't expect answer, it'd be fascinating to see what consumers would opt to pay to enhance as 'base model' monitor with the falling options:

1.) Thunderbolt 3 (uncharge for 4?).
2.) 4K Resolution.
3.) 5K Resolution.
4.) 120-Hz refresh rate - price would be higher if a 4K or 5K monitor.
5.) USB-C hub function, if not Thunderbolt.
6.) Excellent in-monitor speaker sound system, like I'm told the Apple Studio Display has.
7.) Enhanced build quality - again, as the Apple Studio Display is known for. All else being equal, how much more would you pay for an aluminum body with no flex when handled to adjust it, etc...?
8.) Higher quality webcam.
9.) Center Stage option (which one reviewer thought compromised imagine quality because it took a wider angle shot and only used part of that to achieve the center stage effect).
10.) HDR.

Since you chose this monitor and specifically praised Thunderbolt for connectivity, what (besides the monitor) do you intend to connect to your MacBook Pro? Given the modest price difference, the added throughput of Thunderbolt was more valuable to you than the higher resolution of 4K, or were other factors involved?
so the 4k usb -c verion you mentioned wont connect directly with a macbook?

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
so the 4k usb -c verion you mentioned wont connect directly with a macbook?
A USB-C monitor should connect fine to a MacBook; I've got a 2017 12" Intel MacBook (it has a USB-C port) that I connect to an external Philips 27" 4K monitor just fine. A modern M-series processor MacBook should likewise connect fine, even if via a Thunderbolt port on the MacBook (in which case it connects at the USB-C throughput level).

One caveat; from one of the Amazon reviews, I saw it alleged that due to USB-C throughput limitations, if I wanted 4K resolution also at a full frame rate (IIRC), I needed to restrict the monitor's usb ports to a slower USB level (USB 2?), although I see a 2023 review by J.T. Rhea who wrote "And I had no problem getting 60fps at 4K and still getting the USB 3 speeds as many have complained. Perhaps that's an issue with M1 Macs but my M2 laptop had no issues."

And of course, if the monitor is a USB-C hub, it won't serve as a Thunderbolt hub with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 level throughput.

As far as I know, a USB-C monitor should work fine with a MacBook (assuming it's not some very old model lacking USB-C or Thunderbolt ports).

Bit of trivia in case you care to use the monitor with PCs; not all PCs with a USB-C port can use a USB-C monitor via their USB-C port (i.e.: you might have to connect via HDMI or some such).

bharat97

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2024
A USB-C monitor should connect fine to a MacBook; I've got a 2017 12" Intel MacBook (it has a USB-C port) that I connect to an external Philips 27" 4K monitor just fine. A modern M-series processor MacBook should likewise connect fine, even if via a Thunderbolt port on the MacBook (in which case it connects at the USB-C throughput level).

One caveat; from one of the Amazon reviews, I saw it alleged that due to USB-C throughput limitations, if I wanted 4K resolution also at a full frame rate (IIRC), I needed to restrict the monitor's usb ports to a slower USB level (USB 2?), although I see a 2023 review by J.T. Rhea who wrote "And I had no problem getting 60fps at 4K and still getting the USB 3 speeds as many have complained. Perhaps that's an issue with M1 Macs but my M2 laptop had no issues."

And of course, if the monitor is a USB-C hub, it won't serve as a Thunderbolt hub with Thunderbolt 3 and 4 level throughput.

As far as I know, a USB-C monitor should work fine with a MacBook (assuming it's not some very old model lacking USB-C or Thunderbolt ports).

Bit of trivia in case you care to use the monitor with PCs; not all PCs with a USB-C port can use a USB-C monitor via their USB-C port (i.e.: you might have to connect via HDMI or some such).
I meant if I have a normal usb-c monitor , and a macbook pro m1; Will the connection work via a thunderbolt cable

bharat97

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2024
and if the said usb-c monitor connects to my macbook via a thunderbolt cable, what advantage will I have with Dell 27 inch monitor with thunderbolt port.

drrich2

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
I meant if I have a normal usb-c monitor , and a macbook pro m1; Will the connection work via a thunderbolt cable
If I understand correctly, yes, it will, assuming it's a recent enough version of Thunderbolt so it uses a USB-C connector.

From what I've read, Thunderbolt cables tend to be more expensive than USB-C cables, but can serve as one if you happen to have one laying around unused. Similarly, a Thunderbolt port on your Mac can serve as a USB-C port.

I doubt you'll gain extra benefit from using a Thunderbolt cable in place of a USB-C cable, or Mac Thunderbolt port over a Mac USB-C port, but they should work...at the USB-C level.

and if the said usb-c monitor connects to my macbook via a thunderbolt cable, what advantage will I have with Dell 27 inch monitor with thunderbolt port.
This question confused me. If you are asking what additional benefits you could gain if instead of a USB-C monitor (with hub function, presumably) you instead buy a Dell monitor that uses a Thunderbolt connection (with hub function, presumably), and connect via Thunderbolt cable to your Mac's Thunderbolt port, then here is what I understand to be your benefits:

1.) Thunderbolt 3 and 4 offer much more potential bandwidth vs. USB-C, so the Thunderbolt connection can handle 4K video at a good frame rate (e.g.: 60 Hz) while having plenty of left-over bandwidth available in case you connect other devices to the monitor.

And...well, if there's another benefit, someone else will have to produce it.

Thunderbolt cables and devices tend to cost more than USB-C versions.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
I wish Dell would release the 32 ultrasharp with 120 hz would jump on that in a heartbeat. Almost 2g's is a lot but for people who are serious with their work I can see it not being a problem. I just want a nice screen for my casual use. Maybe I will wait a while for this to come down in price.

bharat97

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2024
I finally bought this LGQP750 . it has daisy chain and usb-c power delivery of 65watts. My macbook pro m1 stays at 100% charge always. I wonder if it will destroy my battery 😥

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
They are factory calibrated before shipping and very good quality.

I have 2 U2715H which are beautiful.
Not everyone wants or feels they 'have to' have 4k+
I'm sorry, but 1440p is crappy, no matter how you slice it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.