Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I had a dell U2711 ultra sharp monitor on my desk with 2560x1440 and 10 bit color.

From 2011.

in 2024, 1440p is pretty low end and I would have hoped dell would have standardized on 4k or 5k for the ultra sharp line by now.

Reactions: henry72

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
4K is a 2021 Honda Accord, 1440p is a 1975 Trabant.
To bring this back to the topic of this thread...

I think this display is an interesting product, especially if you can't afford 5K display, and you liked the 2K Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's easy for me to imagine someone will really like the Dell display in question. The Dell may not have built-in web cam and speakers but Thunderbolt 4 and the array of ports is compelling.. and Dell does use quality displays in their products. Plus, 2K is a sweet spot for macOS scaling (or actually not scaling). I've got 5K Studio Display and 2K Thunderbolt Display side-by-side on my desk. Obviously, the 5K ASD looks amazing from my viewing distance and is my default display, but the 2K TBD is honestly not too bad (was my default for a long time), and because both have the same "resolution" (5K@2K scaled / 2K not scaled), macOS UI elements and windows fluidly move back and forth from one space to the other w/out resize effects. For me the biggest caveat would display chaining over TB, which doesn't seem possible w/ these displays and macOS, which is something that can (and still) be done w/ the Apple TBD displays.

Reactions: MarkC426

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
One thing people don't seem to take into account is that viewing distance also plays a role on how things look, which is likely why some say it looks crappy while others say it looks fine. I sit about three feet away from my monitors, and at that distance 27" 1440p is considered retina-quality. It'd be silly to pay 3-4 times as much for a 5K display when I won't be sitting up close to appreciate the difference.

@Agent OrangeZ, if you have the appropriate equipment and time to spare, would you be able to see if it’s possible to daisy chain another monitor to this one? I know Macs don’t support MST or daisy chaining DP to DP, but it’s not completely clear if daisy chaining TB to DP will work with this monitor on Macs.
You can daisy chain the U2724DE to another monitor such as the U2724D using a USB-C to DisplayPort cable from the Thunderbolt out/downstream port. (It'll use DP Alt Mode.) You can also daisy chain the U2724DE to another U2724DE using a Thunderbolt cable.

Reactions: iStorm and MarkC426

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I sit about three feet away from my monitors, and at that distance 27" 1440p is considered retina-quality.

3 feet is a very long way to sit from a 27" monitor. Most people have them on their desk and at the sort of desk range (arms length) most would use it at, 1440p is.... meh.

Its way better than 1080p which is why some people may be impressed but its massively inferior to 4k or 5k assuming that you're doing scaling appropriately on the high dpi displays.

"UltraSharp" is supposed to be Dell's higher end monitor lineup. I'm actually shocked they still make a 1440p display in that product range in 2024. Like I said earlier in thread, I had a 1440p 27" UltraSharp in 2011. Back then, that was high end. today? It's just simply not.

If it works for people, great. It just seems that Dell are perhaps riding the UltraSharp brand a little too hard and not keeping its spec up with the times. I would expect a 27" UltraSharp branded Dell monitor to be a 5k display.

Reactions: Arctic Moose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.