Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I currently have a desktop as my main computer. It is a Core i7-9700K with 32 GB, and an RTX 2070 running Windows 11. It has a 1 TB NvMe as my main drive a secondary 512 GB SATA drive, and a third 4 TB HDD. I also hve an LG 32" 4K display, a Logitech MX Keyboard, and a Logitech MX Anywhwere 3 mouse (I tested many mouses and keyboards, including high-end mechanical keyboards, just to find out that this membrane keyboard better fits my needs).

Now it is 5 years old. It is serving me well but I am thinking of an alternative. Downsides of my current configuration: (i) it is noisy; (ii) it takes a lot of space; and (iii) the webcam is an afterthought.

I am thiking of an alternative, taking less space and being more straightfoward. The iMac would be great but (i) it does not run Windows; (ii) it has 8 GB RAM standard; (iii) it is pricey at 24 GB and still does not match my current configuration (even after 5 years!); (iii) it comes with low storage.

A good alternative, as I think, would be a Dell XPS desktop, smaller in size yet powerful; a Samsung G9 57 display with a huge screen to go for productivity (although not sure about the practicality of such), or keeping the old computer.

Any thoughts? Help!

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Depends on usage, for casual usage an XPS would be great. If gaming, we have more difficult considerations. Getting a new machine after 5 years will result in real gains, even if the machine is not spec'd to the hilt. We don't know what your budget is of course. If it were me, I'd want an upgrade rather than keep the old, assuming I could afford it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A good alternative, as I think, would be a Dell XPS desktop,
I would stay far far away from Dell's desktops.

Dell has an illustrious history of using proprietary parts, i.e., motherboards, cases, power supplies, etc. I think you can do a hell of a lot better on prebuilt then Dell. Yeah, they may be one of the cheapest options, but you get what you pay for.

Gamer Nexus does a lot of reviews on prebuilts, take a look at their playlist

Origin (pricey) is a good option
Microcenter has prebuilts - nicely priced and pretty well built, but you need to have a store in your vicinity.
ABS Challenger seems to be a good option, at least be Gamer Nexus

There's a number of options but its dependent on your budget.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I disagree. For plug and play with minimal usage requirements, proprietary parts means little. Again, this is based on budget systems, not gamer systems, and no tinkering. I would have no problems with an XPS if I needed only plug and play for office tasks.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I disagree.
That's fine, its a free world, but having so much propetiary components paints the consumer into a corner. Want to upgrade the PSU - nope, no can do. Want to change the case to something more stylish or befitting your style in a couple of years? not going to happen. Choosing to upgrade the mobo to extend the life of the entire computer, ain't going to happen

You're right about no tinkering, Dell makes sure of that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dells' support seems to be hit or miss, depending on who you ask, mostly negative though.

This is from https://www.laptopmag.com/news/dell-tech-support-showdown so its probably more skewed towards laptop support, but it shows a middle of the road rating
1713019985505.png

Trusted pilot has this: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.dell.com
1713020053504.png

Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/round-rock/profile/computer-dealers/dell-inc-0825-41453
1713020129705.png

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Well I don't wish to go back and forth. I agreed with the XPS with the caveat is is to be plus and play, not upgrading or replacing components. And cherrypicking a review is silly. All manufacturers have their share of pissed customers, especially considering most have off shore support. And they all come to the internet to complain. Meanwhile, untold thousands use them without issue. You're targeting gaming with your suggestions, I wasn't.

Been in the industry 40 years. Not trying to boast, but I have worked extensively with Dell, Lenovo and Apple. My suggestion is sound for light office work. Your suggestions are sound going in a more gaming direction. Until we hear back from the OP, we won't know which way to lean.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Not trying to boast

You just did.

And cherrypicking a review is silly.

I don't think he is cherry-picking; he is just showing the most recent Trustpilot position and linking it to their overall review score, which is terrible. Of course, people with issues complain online more than happy people praise online. That is always true.

The OP is asking for thoughts, not arguments about who is right or wrong about their views.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
You just did.

I don't think he is cherry-picking; he is just showing the most recent Trustpilot position and linking it to their overall review score, which is terrible. Of course, people with issues complain online more than happy people praise online. That is always true.

The OP is asking for thoughts, not arguments about who is right or wrong about their views.
You misinterpret. It's not a boast. It's validation. This is to show I have some experience and not a 16 year old claiming to be an expert. If electrician says they have been doing it for years, would you consider that a boast or reaffirmation you can rely more on his/her advice then someone that hasn't had any experience?

If you read the post, there are pros and cons for the XPS and the gaming systems, and we are both making suggestions. I am thinking light use, Maflynn is thinking gaming. Hardly an "argument", more a point/counterpoint.

You don't need to rush to his defense, nor start a stir with me. The OP has not given us much to work with so we are taking some shots. Relax.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
I currently have a desktop as my main computer. It is a Core i7-9700K with 32 GB, and an RTX 2070 running Windows 11. It has a 1 TB NvMe as my main drive a secondary 512 GB SATA drive, and a third 4 TB HDD. I also hve an LG 32" 4K display, a Logitech MX Keyboard, and a Logitech MX Anywhwere 3 mouse (I tested many mouses and keyboards, including high-end mechanical keyboards, just to find out that this membrane keyboard better fits my needs).

Now it is 5 years old. It is serving me well but I am thinking of an alternative. Downsides of my current configuration: (i) it is noisy; (ii) it takes a lot of space; and (iii) the webcam is an afterthought.

I am thiking of an alternative, taking less space and being more straightfoward. The iMac would be great but (i) it does not run Windows; (ii) it has 8 GB RAM standard; (iii) it is pricey at 24 GB and still does not match my current configuration (even after 5 years!); (iii) it comes with low storage.

A good alternative, as I think, would be a Dell XPS desktop, smaller in size yet powerful; a Samsung G9 57 display with a huge screen to go for productivity (although not sure about the practicality of such), or keeping the old computer.

Any thoughts? Help!
Currently using an older Dell XPS desktop. The XPS makes for a good business computer.
Don't do any gaming but use it for business, which the XPS works well in.
It's decent and upgradeable... upgraded the ram, SSDs/HDDs, video card and PSU.
The newer models appear to be a bit smaller sized so upgrading may be an issue.
You can customize it at Dell's website or consider a preconfigured version.
You'd want to checkout the PSU which tends to be on the low side but is upgradeable, similar to the video card.
Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: _Mitchan1999

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

Any thoughts? Help!
If you’re happy with Windows why switch? You can get a very nice Dell refurbished for under $500. I just bought my daughter a Dell laptop with i7 and 16 GB of ram with 512 hard drive for around $400.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
If you don't plan on gaming on Windows PC anymore then couldn't you use one of the macbooks you have with external monitor? That would seem like it would accomplish what you want. Other than going to a more minimalist setup. Did you have other needs want out of this?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
And cherrypicking a review is silly. All manufacturers have their share of pissed customers
Actually as you can plainly see I was careful to pick a measure set of links when it came to the support. I had one from laptop mag that provided middle of the road support
Been in the industry 40 years. Not trying to boast, but I have worked extensively with Dell, Lenovo and Apple.
You know what's funny, so haven't I. I've been in the computer industry since the 1980s, both as a programmer, but also working in a computer store, building, repairing, and selling them. I think I know thing or two when it comes to PCs. Not trying to boast though 😉

In the end, if the OP wants to buy a Dell he can, no skin off my nose. If you love Dell, I couldn't care less, all I was doing is providing details that the OP could start researching and determining if its a good use of his money.

You mentioned you don't want to go back and forth, this is something we can agree with. I'm done, I have no position that I'm trying to justify. I just pointed out Dell's business decision to use proprietary parts and some links to their support.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I disagree. For plug and play with minimal usage requirements, proprietary parts means little. Again, this is based on budget systems, not gamer systems, and no tinkering. I would have no problems with an XPS if I needed only plug and play for office tasks.
I owned a Dell, had the PSU fail, and they wouldn’t service it. Since it’s a proprietary part, that machine was done… so proprietary means a lot.

Reactions: maflynn

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012

Any thoughts? Help!
There are plenty of options for building a powerful yet relatively noise-free PC, for less money than a powerful Mac. I’m lucky to have both, and my PC was build at half the cost of my equally powerful Mac (which is dead silent btw). It is only when running the highest end games at 5K resolution that you start to hear the PC.

In short: look into a custom build silent PC (not a standard off the shelf PC) unless you have a very good reason and a well filled wallet to switch to a Mac.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Falcon NW machine possibly.
That's a good machine, I really love their designs, and attention to detail, but they can be pricey. I don't think the OP mentioned budget, but I don't think you can go wrong.
I really like Falcon NW, and Origin myself, and if I were ever to buy a prebuilt machine, these two would be on my short lust

Reactions: zapmymac

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
I would stay far far away from Dell's desktops.

Dell has an illustrious history of using proprietary parts, i.e., motherboards, cases, power supplies, etc. I think you can do a hell of a lot better on prebuilt then Dell. Yeah, they may be one of the cheapest options, but you get what you pay for.

Gamer Nexus does a lot of reviews on prebuilts, take a look at their playlist

Origin (pricey) is a good option
Microcenter has prebuilts - nicely priced and pretty well built, but you need to have a store in your vicinity.
ABS Challenger seems to be a good option, at least be Gamer Nexus

There's a number of options but it’s dependent on your budget.
Here we go with the old Dell proprietary tropes. Funny statement coming from a Mac user. Not everyone cares.

There is nothing wrong with Dell. They are probably the best ones out of the lot of major manufacturers (HP etc). I’ve owned Dells for decades and they have all lasted just as long as all my Macs. Most people looking to buy prebuilt machines are not going to upgrade them. They will just replace them after 3-5 years. So proprietary parts are irrelevant to most people. I have a Precision laptop for work and an Alienware R15 at home. Both are fantastic machines. HP and Lenovo make junk.

GN is a good reviewer but he can get into the weeds with testing that doesn’t translate to real world experience.

If you want to upgrade, stay away from Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. if you don’t care and will just trash the machine in a few years….Dell is a great deal and super reliable machine.

Reactions: ToyoCorollaGR

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Dell and HP, which does offer SFF and AIO models, would probably be okay. However, if you have the budget, some of the “gaming” and boutique sellers typically have better fit and finish.

That's a good machine, I really love their designs, and attention to detail, but they can be pricey. I don't think the OP mentioned budget, but I don't think you can go wrong.
I really like Falcon NW, and Origin myself, and if I were ever to buy a prebuilt machine, these two would be on my short lust
Based on specs and reviews, a FragBox is my top recommendation.
Downsides of my current configuration: (i) it is noisy; (ii) it takes a lot of space
Note: The tested configuration is one of the highest end, substantial heat generating. Also, I’d suggest going with an AMD CPU, that is, unless you need breakneck single thread/core speed.

Another SFF that has produced generally good reviews is the Corsair One. Speaking of Corsair, there’s also the Origin PC Chronos. The current revision, v3, is similar to, though seemingly/possibly a little better in cooling, than the Corsair One. I have the version 2 of the Chronos without the AIO option. It performs well, unfortunately, the mixture of 92 and 120 mm fans are very noticeable when ramped near top speed.

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
@skaertus - Perhaps you could explain your intentions; how would you be using the computer? Would expandability be important? Also, what’s your budget?

• Love

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
There's a lot you know about what you want but we don't.

However, all I can say is that - for decades - I used Windows. I recently moved to totally being in the Apple ecosystem, with an iMac finally replacing my Windows laptop, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. I spent so much time fixing, updating and troubleshooting Windows. Edge drove me crazy at times. The iMac "just works" and enables me to things done without being bothered by notifications, updates, changes, problems and Microsoft generally.

Reactions: Wheel_D

genexx

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2022
If you want to avoid NOISE:

• do not buy a ready build
  • do not use a small case
  • use beQuiet! Parts and better no Watercooling (these Sounds can be very anoing)
  • do not use a rotating HD (i have one biggy external WD USB 12TB)
  • mod the Graphics Card Stop Fan Curve
  • get a big CPU Cooler
  • undervolt CPU via CPU Lite Load in MSI Bios (love it)
  • get a MoBo where you can control the FanCurve´s
  • do not get the Hottest CPU for this last 10%
My last build was as all based on a beQuiet! Case Pure Base 500
(make sure the 3Pin Fans from the Case can be controlled via DC from the MoBo)
with a 14Gen CPU and very Silent (even with Cinebench 2024 running) and Cool:

-If you may plan a Hackintosh get a Navi23 Series Card-

1713170652483.png

Last edited:

Wheel_D

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2016
There's a lot you know about what you want but we don't.

However, all I can say is that - for decades - I used Windows. I recently moved to totally being in the Apple ecosystem, with an iMac finally replacing my Windows laptop, and I haven't regretted it for a moment. I spent so much time fixing, updating and troubleshooting Windows. Edge drove me crazy at times. The iMac "just works" and enables me to things done without being bothered by notifications, updates, changes, problems and Microsoft generally.

It's essentially the same reason I'm switching to Mac--Windows has become a landfill.

Reactions: Cape Dave
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.