Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
the Price?

I've looked at the site briefly, but can't see any mention of g5.

Is there a price yet? If so, how much?

dbenesch

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2002
I'd be much more psyched if they were taking preorders. Alas, they might just be reading the same rumors that we all are.

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Hmmm... Maybe it's under brown paper -- or maybe brown paper IS the new enclosure.

;)

Seriously, Macrumors has a serious worldwide intelligence network. Some site posts a tiny suggestive picture and it's instantly here. Amazing.

jg3

macrumors member
May 3, 2002
Urbana, IL
G5?

I'm not seeing it. Pretty gutsy putting that up this early, regardless of whether they have inside info or not. Wonder how long it will take to get pulled.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
They may have just changed it... the paper now says "Neue Desk-tops"

Attachments

• neue.gif
    neue.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 5,051

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by richard5mith
Well if ever you needed confirmation folks, here it is...

I would not call this confirmation. Probably just wishful thinking.

arn

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Originally posted by arn
I would not call this confirmation. Probably just wishful thinking.

arn

It would be a bit stupid for an online retailer to put these things up based on rumours and speculation. The resultant customer backlash wouldn't be worth the hassle. It doesn't make good business sense to advertise something you don't have/won't have.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
It would be a bit stupid for an online retailer to put these things up based on rumours and speculation. The resultant customer backlash wouldn't be worth the hassle. It doesn't make good business sense to advertise something you don't have/won't have.

Like I said though this wouldn't be the first time it has happened. It seems to me that MacMall did a similar thing a while back and it turned out to be nothing.

Vonnie

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2003
It doesn't make good business sense to advertise something you don't have/won't have.

It worked for Bill when he sold DOS to IBM :)

pfranzen

macrumors member
May 1, 2003
London
They opened it!!

I don't understand why none of you think that they have peeked inside one of the DO NOT OPEN boxes...If it was my store I would :D

Its not like Steve will be inspecting all the shops to look at the packaging...

P

E

evilfunkgenius

Maybe Apple invented a timed-release electro-shock duct tape to prevent unauthorized access to their packages!?

OompaLoompa

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2003
Germany
Phonecall

In a german Forum someone reposts of a phonecall with CANOM,

"Update: Bei einem Telefonat mit Cancom in dieser Sache konnte folgende Information "extrahiert" werden:

? Cancom hat (laut eigener Aussage!) noch keine neuen Rechner, auch keine verpackten!

? Das Bild ist nur ein Bild eines verpackten G3/G4, kein wirkliches Foto. Auch der Filename ist willkürlich gewählt.

? Cancom weiss (obwohl einer der grössten Apple-Händler) auch nichts wirklich genaues (oder natürlich sie dürfen nix sagen!), ausser, dass Montagabend definitiv neue Desktops kommen!"

Translation:
1. Cancom does not have any new Computer, not even wraped

2. The Picture is just a picture of a wraded G3/G4, and not really a photo. The Filename is arbitrary choosen

3. Canon does not know (althogh they are one of the biggest dealers) anything for sure (or they are not allowed to tell), except,
that there will be new desktops on monday!

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Re: Phonecall

Originally posted by OompaLoompa
In a german Forum someone reposts of a phonecall with CANOM,

Translation:
1. Cancom does not have any new Computer, not even wraped

2. The Picture is just a picture of a wraded G3/G4, and not really a photo. The Filename is arbitrary choosen

3. Canon does not know (althogh they are one of the biggest dealers) anything for sure (or they are not allowed to tell), except,
that there will be new desktops on monday!

So, what they are saying is that they don't have any new computers, but that there will be new computers on Monday.

I'm less likely to believe this now. I could understand if they had boxes or something, but what is their source?

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
I agree this is just wishful thinking. If retailers all around the world knew for sure something was coming and there were stacks of hidden boxes saying "do not open until June 23" there would be many many more reports of this. Instead we get some obscure report about a french store and some random German store. When I hear 10 independent reports from CompUSAs around the US, then maybe I'll believe it. This is all just getting stupid.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

and yet it happens - or has happened - in past expos.

arn

brossow

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2002

It would also be a bit stupid for a retailer to effectively halt all sales of current stock by saying something new is coming in a week. Yet it seems they've done it. Boneheads either way you look at it....

Rootman

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Miami
G5 photo

Inspired by the fact that the paper bag Mac image had a filename of "G5-something dot something," I did a Google image search for "G5" string image files and found a search result for a link that's been pulled down - http://www.cables.cz/g5_rumors.htm - but had this thumbnail for the search result. Along with this Mac pic were a lot of funny things like pumpkins and cannons that would have been funny to post, but this looks like it might be something...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.