Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: G5 photo

Originally posted by Rootman
Inspired by the fact that the paper bag Mac image had a filename of "G5-something dot something," I did a Google image search for "G5" string image files and found a search result for a link that's been pulled down - http://www.cables.cz/g5_rumors.htm - but had this thumbnail for the search result. Along with this Mac pic were a lot of funny things like pumpkins and cannons that would have been funny to post, but this looks like it might be something...

I remember that pic floating around just prior to the intro of the MDD PowerMacs.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Meaningless

I'd say this means that someone making some little non-Apple web ad BELIEVES that G5s are coming. It doesn't tell us why, or that their reasons are good ones. Maybe they just read the rumor sites.

If this ad was up based on REAL hard info, that info would have come with the warning not to make it public. So this is just someone's eduated guess, or even just for fun.

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
well it seems EVERYONE has posted their opinion about what's going to happen on june 23 (including me after this post).

And yet despite these thousands of posts, we know nothing more then the fact we'll have to wait until june 23 to find the truth.

robsworld

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
Cancom now removed the announcment ;-)

I'm sure this is not a joke from Cancom. Please keep in mind that cancon is one of the biggest Mac resellers in Germany

Rob

tribalogical

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
tokyo, japan
yeah, I'd say that "resumed silence" certainly comfirms *something* is afoot, even if it's not G5's... at least we can now expect to see a new power mac tower...?

exciting... I wonder if I'll sleep at all this weekend :)

sadly, for me here in Tokyo, I don't get to see the news until the wee hours of Tuesday morning...

man, am I getting itchy!

tlc

MacMarino

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
In the morning!

Dont worry, I know how you feel. Im also here in Tokyo, and i remember the last expo, I went to sleep early and woke up at 1am to watch the broadcast and chat on iChat with everyone about what was happening...
Then I had to get up early later to go to work....damn!!!

Macmarino:(

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by robsworld
Cancom now removed the announcment ;-)

I'm sure this is not a joke from Cancom. Please keep in mind that cancon is one of the biggest Mac resellers in Germany

Rob

And the UK - They've bought out almost every Mac Mail Order dealer (except Jigsaw and CW) and are opening retail stores all over London and the South East.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Also, don't forget that Apple itself have no retail presence in Europe, so they need to have independant dealers. In the US they can simply have the stuff delivered to the Apple Store that morning.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
like OompaLoompa said.. it just looks like a g4 or even g3 wrapped up
haven't all of the rumors said that it's going to be a totally new design?
can't you see the large g3/g4 case handles on the front?

seems obvious to me

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Originally posted by macfreek57
like OompaLoompa said.. it just looks like a g4 or even g3 wrapped up
haven't all of the rumors said that it's going to be a totally new design?
can't you see the large g3/g4 case handles on the front?

seems obvious to me

I think you can ignor what the image at cancom looks like. I'm sure it was just a mock up and not the actual machine wrapped in brown paper!

If they were to put a picture of the actual machine on their web site a week before it is announced don't you think Apple would pull their Authorized Reseller status quicker than Steve could fire an AppleStore employee for posting screen shots of an Apple database?!?

safXmal

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
belgium
New Tablet?

Hello

I'm new to this game of rumors but I was looking around on the US patent office and I saw that Apple filed a strange thin for patenting. Could somebody tell me what they invented?
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...D&d=PG01&s1=apple.AS.&OS=AN/apple&RS=AN/apple
uj*-jqs
United States Patent Application

Kind Code

A1

Capps, Stephen C. ; _ et al.
June 12, 2003

Multiple personas for mobile devices

Abstract

A computer system is disclosed which may adopt one of many personas, depending upon the role that its owner is currently playing. The computer system includes a central repository of extensible personas available to all applications running on the computer system. Each such persona has associated therewith a suite of parameters, or specific values for parameters, which are appropriate for conducting computer implemented transactions under a particular persona. The computer system further includes a graphical user interface which allows the user to switch from persona to persona by selecting a particular persona from a list of available personas displayed on a display screen of the computer system. By selecting such persona, the user causes the computer system to globally change the entire suite of parameter values so that subsequent transactions conducted with the computer system employ the parameter values of the current persona.

Inventors:
Capps, Stephen C.; (San Carlos, CA) ; Ansanelli, Joseph G.; (Palo Alto, CA) ; Fang, Ton-Yun; (Sunnyvale, CA)

Correspondence Name and Address:

BEYER WEAVER & THOMAS LLP
P.O. BOX 778
BERKELEY
CA
94704-0778
US

Assignee Name and Adress:

Apple Computer, Inc.

Serial No.:

Series Code:

Filed:

November 26, 2002

U.S. Current Class:
345/810

U.S. Class at Publication:
345/810

Intern'l Class:
G09G 005/00

Claims

frogmella

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2002
Cancom

Cancom have sent out fliers to everyone on their database (I live in Cambridge, UK and bought something from them when they were an AppleCentre). It says:
"Visit Cancom Cambridge on Friday 27th June. You are invited to hear Apple's lates product announcements!"

So, I take this to mean that they don't know what's coming either.

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
It's going to happen!

Just off the phone to my main supplier of Mac Stuff in the UK, obviously can't tell you who, but they are large and very reputable. I was after a new monitor to replace one that someone had wrecked by cleaning with a solvent-based cloth, and I just dropped into the conversation, "anything you can tell me about what might be happening with the new machines?". The chap there said, you might want to wait till Monday/Tuesday (ie USA time), as far as we know the current G4's are going to continue for now, but be slashed in price, and something "super-dooper, whizz-bang" will be available Mon/Tues.

He know's they are taking a large number of them, but he hasn't been told the final spec and he hasn't crucially seen the boxes yet, but it's definitely happening and they are going to be at suppliers for the day/day after the WWDC keynote.

Two things on this, if apple do for a while continue the G4's, then suddenly we have the price competitive low-end, highish spec machines to compete with the wintel boxes, and of course, this is as close as we'll get for now for confirmation that these new machines not only exist, but are ready to go. As I say, this is a very trustworthy retailer, with whom my company has had dealings for a long time, and they wouldn't make it up!

Go figure.....

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Most likely, they've noticed PMac inventory drying up, and since that only happens prior to a new release as Apple tries to clear the channel of inventory; they've made a (very small) assumption that new pro desktops are going to be launched very soon.

Then they tied that up with the online grapevine, and the timing of the WWDC they've hazarded a guess that it's a 970 release at that convention.

It's not that unreasonable.

Mike.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Re: New Tablet?

Originally posted by safXmal
A computer system is disclosed which may adopt one of many personas, depending upon the role that its owner is currently playing. ....

The wording is a bit vague; when it describes a persona, if it means a user persona it sounds like it describes some kind of multi-user login with each login (or persona) having a different theme , but that currently exists on several systems so it's unlikely Apple could get a patent unless it differs significently from existing offerings.

On the other hand, if it describes a computer persona; it might be describing some kind of personalised assistant, perhaps combined with a persona-dependent UI theme.

(i.e. It's so vague, it could be anything! :)

Mike.

grouse

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2002
london
guesswork

Mike

I take your point, but the tone of the conversation I had was not guess work, it was much more, and I have dealt with the guy over many years, "we've got them, they'll be on sale Tuesday" rather than "I reckon something's happening.

It would of little benefit to him to string me along or take wild guesses.

Either way, I'm ready for them now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.