Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by lmalave

Because not every other set-top box has failed in the market. The Tivo/Replay DVR products are a huge success.

Excuse me? Tivo and Replay are a huge success? By what measure?

Certainly not by the stock price of Sonic Blue (65 cents per share). And, certainly not by the money-hemorrhaging that Tivo is doing either (losing an average of $28 million per quarter on average revenue of $15 million dollars).

Notably, it looks like Tivo might turn the corner with a good Christmas season, but it's hardly enough to call it a "huge success".

usersince86

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
iPod 2:

* 20G and 30G models
* 1.8" color LCD
* headphone out (of course)
* firewire 1+2 compatible
* Bluetooth compatible
* data cable w/RCA plugs for analog connections
* plays MP3s, stills and clips
* iTunes, iCal, iSync, iPhoto, iMovie 3 (or something like "iClip") compatible
* $549. (20G) and $649. (30G)
* current line drops by $50. to $449. (20G), $349. (10G)
* 5G model is discontinued
* no separate versions: Mac and Windows in the same package

or maybe not...

:p

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Of course the built-in screen is T68i-ish, mainly for reference. The real use would be for plugging into external screens (tv's, etc.)

No need for a "firewire to rca" converter - technically that can't exist. You just need a video-out port. Video subsystem needs only drive 768x512 resolution since that's what tv is (PAL at least).

Not sure about Firewire 2 compatible.

There is this IP over Firewire business around at the moment which would suggest if you could squeeze airport into the unit, you could connect to it wirelessly (ie. file transfer from your den into your living room). Probably not at this stage, though.

usersince86 that looks pretty damn close to what I'd expect.

I'd also assume the iApps would get a revision right across the board to support this new device (iPhoto would add sync functions, iMovie3/4 would add "export for iPod", etc.)

Basically, this device would be - as discussed - a hardware quicktime player. It's the only way you'll get graphics & video support on it. The current iPod already decodes MP3. Full QuickTime support would mean you can use the iPod mk II for MP4, etc. - didn't Apple already say that this was in the works?

Isn't MP4/AAC support an already-known feature of iTunes 4 (as is Rendezvous syncing?)

If so, then can we assume this device will also form part of Apple's push to encourage users to adopt MP4 audio? After all, store the same amount of music in MP4 as you did in MP3, PLUS room for video. That would make more efficient use of the 20 & 30 (!) GB drive. Nice work, usersince86.

So guys, what's the prize for guessing right? Are we indeed to "set a couch on fire"?

and somebody please keep TheInevitable away from sharp objects!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.