Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
this doesn't seem like a PB or PM update, but rather something brand new. maybe this is that apple table-top device that has been rumored recently?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This doesn't surprise me at all. Previous rumors have hinted at Mac OS 10.3.3 being required for new hardware (specifically the Rev. B PowerMac G5s), but there is always the possibility of Apple releasing something entirely new and Mac OS X-powered.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Apple users get so uptight about hardware revisions! ;) Do PC people follow the releases of Dell, Sony, HP, and Gateway with such interest???

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
This doesn't surprise me at all. Previous rumors have hinted at Mac OS 10.3.3 being required for new hardware (specifically the Rev. B PowerMac G5s)

I think is faulty logic.

Hardware isn't delayed by OS releases.

When a new Mac is released, it always has a newer version of Mac OS installed on it -- this extra code provides support for the new machine.

In other words, even if Mac OS X 10.3.3 came out a week before the new PowerMacs were released, I'd wager the new PowerMacs have a different version of Mac OS X 10.3.3.

arn

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
all i really care about is an updated emac (i know, crazy right?). the reason is that my parents and a coworker are both waiting for the updated versions before they buy....and they've been waiting a couple months now since i told them to hold off a bit. what's a couple more months when you've waited 4 years at this point, that's what i told them but they are getting antsy. hurry up apple!

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
They should stop these rumors, because people are holding back their purchases, and then Apple and other resellers get stuck with old inventories and then they delay the release of new stuff thinking that they need to move the old stuff and then more rumors persist, and so on and so on and then we mac fans just get disgruntled. But we keep on saying, "Thank you sir can I please have another!" as we get rumor-whipped.:mad:

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
as the apple turns has made a few crytpic references to "something huge in april." they speculated it may be a G5 iMac.

In fact, we're getting increasingly excited about the possibility that the "something huge" coming in April which we mentioned a week or two back might in fact turn out to be the G5ing of the iMac line

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Would they really put a G5 into an imac before a powerbook? I mean powerbooks are considered their top of the line books, whereas imacs are considered their economic line. Does this makes sense?

Also, i doesn't mean they are introducing anything new (as someone suggesed that it was reaily something compeltely new, like a tablet). "New hardware" could simply mean new powerbooks, as a synonym for hardware can be many things such as powerbook, powermac, imac, etc.

So no, I am sorry, but it certainly doesn't mean there will be something completely new. I think the new revision should be from PB's. They have gone longer without updates than the pm, and they certainly need a g5 more than imacs.

Pray for Apple Powerbook G5's by April!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Originally posted by a17inchFuture
Would they really put a G5 into an imac before a powerbook? I mean powerbooks are considered their top of the line books, whereas imacs are considered their economic line. Does this makes sense?

well, powerbooks are selling, iMacs are not. they need to do something to revive interest and sales in their consumer desktops.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Everyone could make up that rumor and will be proofed to be right !

I mean Feb is over. And that "something" should come in the next two month is quite obvious.

Cheers

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
As Arn said, I think the release of 10.3.3 has little to do with new hardware. Unless there are new Bluetooth Apple devices or similar such things. New radical displays perhaps? 3D screens?

I think we're more on the assumption that it's inevitable that there will be hardware released of some kind in March or April. That has 1 week away to 10 weeks away covered. I still think Power Macs will be first, and this ties in nicely with the 2.5GHz G5 chips that IBM has been demoing. PowerBooks will probably follow a few weeks later (still G4 I reckon). I think we may see an iMac price drop or update too. G5? I'd like it to be, but I have a feeling Apple will decline this time.

All purely speculative, mind, just like most of the rumours of late.

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
well, powerbooks are selling, iMacs are not. they need to do something to revive interest and sales in their consumer desktops.

Well I hope you are wrong, as the present design for imacs is very cool, and is somewhat newish if I remember correctly(or have at least had the G4 for little time). Anyways, I just think that the iMacs are selling poorly because people want powerful machines these days, and are simply going for the beautfiul G5 PM's. But I think this desire for technology and the future is veering a little away from iMacs, and more toward the portability and all encompassing abilities of the powerbooks and G5 Pm's. Therefore, I believe they should try to stay on top of the powerbook game as well.

Back five years ago, iMacs were what was needed to get people back into mac, and to get apple out of the woods. At the same time, computer sales were growing faster than ever before with ethernet and internet in general really becoming household things. I think now people are so onboard with the "computer lifestyle", especially for the mac users, that now they just want to get the best of the best when they buy, and that that is why the PMs are doing better lately, and the iMacs not.

Plus, iMacs kinda get people into the "Apple style", which is a refined taste, like escargot (sp?). And once you are into that style, the PB's and G5 PM's are just the pinnacle of that taste.

Okay, so some of that might have been a little out on a limb . . . .

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
i agree, i think the iMac is a beautiful machine, and i've recommended it to friends (one did buy a 17" and loves it). it was debuted in Jan 2002. i also personally would like to see G5 PBs before G5 iMacs. BUT, iMacs are selling poorly, they do poorly on price/performance relative to wintels (even if it's arguably all the power a consumer desktop needs), and a G5 would certainly boost sales. there have been a few articles from tech consultants or whoever speculating on this as well...

a17inchFuture

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2004
Miami
Well if Apple always did what tech consultants said we'd have a very boring company in them.

or in other words- BOO-HISS!!!.... nothing until new G5 powerbooks!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Re: New Hardware in April/March?

Originally posted by Macrumors
Appleinsider posts some updates regarding the 10.3.3 seed. In addition, according to the site, 10.3.3 is incorporating support for new product offerings that are expected to debut between March and April.

This sounds awesome. A new 3D Display would also be great. Mr. Anderson was the first to mention the possibility that the 10.3.3 would indicate new hardware. If indeed there are new hardware on the way, it's great news. That means they might actually be available by my birthday.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
G5 iMac...i don't think so. It would be so silly of Apple to even attempt a G5 iMac. Lets look at the facts. The PowerMac just got a G5 in June. The PowerBook doesn't even have one yet. And the iMac just got a 20" screen. Apple would never put a G5 in the current case, and since they just developed something new for it, i would say that it will be a G4 for a while. As i recall, IBM is also develping a 7??? processor which was called a G3 +altivec. I think apple will switch to this sometime soon, and call it a G4 or maybe even a G4-II. The PowerBook will get a G5 soon, 970fx looks too easy for it not too. This is how i think the line up should look.

PowerMac G5
2.0Ghz
Dual 2.2Ghz
Dual 2.4 Ghz

PowerBook G5
12" 1.6Ghz
15" 1.6 Ghz
15" 1.8 Ghz
17" 1.8Ghz

iMac
15" 1.2Ghz G4-II
17" 1.4Ghz G4-II
20" 1.6Ghz G4-II

eMac
1.2Ghz G4-II

iBook
12" 1Ghz G4-II
14" 1.2Ghz G4-II

That would be a reasonable, ass kicking line of computers. It would kill the world of PC's and start the trend of total mac domination.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
A sure way to kill off sales is to leave Imac G4.
Point #1 the consumer line should be selling 10 times the amount of the pro line due to consumers outnumber the pro's 100 to 1. they are not and in fact are selling in about the same quantity. and this is Emac & Imac sales combined. Very sad if you are going for those pod carrying folks also known as consumers.
Point#2 where is is written that powerbook needs G5 before Imac? this is a total different market. one is portable one is not.
Point#3 G4 is good for a laptop due to its low power consumption
Point#4 Imac has been priced for prosumer market but its G4(insert laugh) is nowhere close to prosumer Pc's. even if they gave it 2 G4s its still not close. G4 doesnt belong there.
Point #5 Consumers are gamers and the top consumer machine is a very poor gamer machine. at over 2 thousand dollars it should be able to play Halo,Ut2004 and Doom3. It cant.
Point # 6 This means a consumer has to buy a Powermac 1.6 G5 to get (only) decent performance. not stellar performance and add the cost of a monitor and you are now at $2500. this is way outside what consumers want to spend for a good computer in fact about $1000 over where it should be thereby locking the consumer out of Apple as a alternative to a Pc which will have more performance,less cost and the consumer can get just what they want without having to buy all the extras Apple forces on you.
Last Point. Imac is hurting more then any other product and should be a clear sales leader for Apple. It isnt. Imac Crt was the leader that brought millions into Apples world and they need another machine that can do that again. It will take power(G5) it will take style and it will take color. If Apple ignores these 3 points it is going to be more of the same for its sales numbers. Rant over.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I also think the iMac needs to try and compete, and the only way it will be able to do that for Games, Digital Video, Digital Stills etc, is for it to have a decent processor, graphic card options and max RAM - both of which the iMacs are seemingly years behind equivelent PCs.

Also Mac users I know who are home users or semi pro, don't want a lame G4 chip when they know what the G5 (no matter the speed) will likely be doing in the next year or so as software is recompilled to use 64 bit.

When it comes out it should have a new form factor to allow for a single G5 with 2 but preferable 4 slots of ram to take maximuim advantage of the G5.

I also agree that its sales are very poor and that as soon as its ready ir should be out. Indeed it clearly the line that needs most attention and should have priority unless Apple are moving away from a consumer focus, like BMW building cars for only the upper middle class and the rich...

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
G5 iMac...i don't think so. It would be so silly of Apple to even attempt a G5 iMac. Lets look at the facts. The PowerMac just got a G5 in June. The PowerBook doesn't even have one yet. And the iMac just got a 20" screen. Apple would never put a G5 in the current case, and since they just developed something new for it, i would say that it will be a G4 for a while. As i recall, IBM is also develping a 7??? processor which was called a G3 +altivec. I think apple will switch to this sometime soon, and call it a G4 or maybe even a G4-II. The PowerBook will get a G5 soon, 970fx looks too easy for it not too. This is how i think the line up should look.

PowerMac G5
2.0Ghz
Dual 2.2Ghz
Dual 2.4 Ghz

PowerBook G5
12" 1.6Ghz
15" 1.6 Ghz
15" 1.8 Ghz
17" 1.8Ghz

iMac
15" 1.2Ghz G4-II
17" 1.4Ghz G4-II
20" 1.6Ghz G4-II

eMac
1.2Ghz G4-II

iBook
12" 1Ghz G4-II
14" 1.2Ghz G4-II

That would be a reasonable, ass kicking line of computers. It would kill the world of PC's and start the trend of total mac domination.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
The PB 17" has a dual 1.8 in it, doesn't it? ;) Oh and I predict we will see hardware updated between March and December...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.