Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGod

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
According to PowerPage there will be no new laptops till next year - January at the earliest, they claim. Most people are highly unamused at this prospect - and not unexpectedly so. Neither the iBook or Powerbook has had a proper update in a while - by September it will have been six months since the speed-bump and screen change. In that six-month period we have seen a new widescreen iMac, superdrive-d eMacs and now a new desktop and snazzier iPods. Virtually all the products on the apple web site sport a "new" icon next to them EXCEPT for the laptops (and the Xserve, which is a totally new product anyway). You've heard all this before...
But what about the Apple Expo Paris that is scheduled for September 10-14. So what's left for Apple to update? What's left for Steve Jobs to say "and just one more thing..." about in Paris? He already touted OSX.2, the iMac and the iPods at MWNY, so that one's out. What could possible be his big tour de force? Consider the following:
- The (old) iBook SE was released at the Paris Expo in 2001
- There is a large discount ($200-300) being offered on the PowerBook through the Education store (just for fun? or clearing inventory?) - so clearly Apple recognizes that there must be a need for something a little better for the education market and that people are willing to pay a bit more than the high-end iBook but a little less than the low-end PowerBook
- Why would Apple want to skip out the Christmas buying season by releasing a product in January or February (slow sales months)?
- with the eMac, it seems as if Apple is changing its business model slightly and moving away from the 'quadrant' to a '2x3' system with low end (eg. eMac), medium (iMac), and high-end (G4 Dual destops) systems; therefore, there needs to be a mid-range laptop (iBook G4 SE perhaps - the current G3 could remain the low-end product like the eMac) and also a well-differntiated high-end laptop (say, a Superdrive TiBook). One of these new systems has to be coming.
- Despite what people say, the G3 has to be in its last dying throes of existence since OSX+ and software such as FinalCut Pro etc. is all optimized for the G4.
- Apple advertized Final Cut with the TiBook - "edit movies on the go" - but what about iDVD (it's high time we heard "burn" movies on the go - or else it's really not a complete "editing" solution).
- Apple perhaps did not release its new laptop systems at MWNY or earlier in the summer because this is when most of the education purchases occur - and it's good for clearing inventory of lower-end products.
- Apple seems to be updating its products every 5-7 months
- some person posted a comment (on macrumors I think) that their "friend" had been involved in the production of an ad for a superdrive TiBook - probably just a rumor, but the pieces do seem to fit...
All factors considered...there MUST be a major laptop update around the corner. Paris is it. Mark my words.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I'll try to get this right...

Welcome to MacRumors ... iGod?

Ok, first thing...apple is not obligated to update products at expos...remember that apple is a software company as well as hardware.

Second thing...the discounts aren't really that "deep"...although an extra hundred to $150 off is always welcome. Remember that the "up to $380 off" includes the discounted educational price.

Third thing, they've skipped out the the holiday season before. Don't forget the previous powermac update was in January.

Fourth thing, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY the superdrive is ready for the powerbook. Getting DVD writers is hard enough...try making it less than an inch thick and slot loading. No way that will be ready for September.

Fifth thing, the powerbook was last updated at the end of April...hence it'll only be just over four months in september.

Sixth thing, the update schedule can be erratic. I think the iBooks once were updated after three months or so, and the powermacs took eight months to update to a so-so version.

Seventh thing, if they release new versions of the powerbook in september, then what about the discount that ends September 30? I can see them updating the iBooks though.

Eigth thing, the iBook is fine with the G3. I still don't know why, but many are content with the Sahara processor. The G4 will only go into a "special" iBook...it'll need a better battery and heat dissipation system.

Ninth thing, the person with the ad about a superdrive I think admitted that they had made a careless mistake. I'm not sure about this, so I'll shut my mouth.

Tenth and final thing, I have no idea how and why I've written this much. Welcome to macrumors.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah I'd get your facts straight before using a handle with the words g-o-d in it.

The PowerBooks were last updated on April 29 and the iBooks on May 20. (source: Everymac.com) It won't be until Oct. 29th and November 20th respectively for six months to have passed.

I say an iBook revision definitely won't happen until MWSF, especially since those big expos seem to be consumer-oriented. The PowerBook, I'm not sure. If they don't updated it until MWSF, that's a 8.5 month gap which seems too long, even for Apple.

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
discounts

or maybe..just MAYBE the increased educational discounts are due to the fact SCHOOL IS STARTING.....maybe a longshot though

adel

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
If Apple had come out with faster PowerMacs than the ones they just released, I could see faster PowerBooks being released over the next couple of months. Since they didn't, Powerpage is probably right. Back when O'Grady used to write all the content on the website, they were fairly accurate. Lately, their track record has been around fifty-fifty at best and when they are right, their specs and prices are close, but not dead on.

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
Los Angeles
Death to the G3?

I'm not really sure why eveyone on these boards is so speed hungry. The beauty of the Mac platform is not needing to constantly upgrade. I use Photoshop, and Final Cut Pro on my iBook 700 and they both cruise along fine. Rendering in FCP3 and filters galore in PS7, admittedly not as fast as my dual 1ghz powermac I sold on eBay last week, but still nothing to complain about. I have even encoded some mp4 video through quicktime, and that wasnt painful either... so.. what am I missing?

On a sidenote... what speed g4 would they put in an ibook right now if they did??
All of Apple's products seem to be coming to a traffic jam at the moment. eMac @700 iBook @700 iMac @800 TiBook @ 800 and PMac obiviously wins by going dualie across the board, but it does seem as if motorola isn't giving apple many options. Would you introduce an 800mhz g4 ibook? even if they introduce a 1ghz powerbook, your middle of the like TiBook is then equal to your ibook SE... cept maybe for max ram. Or maybe they would downgrade the ibook to the g4 667? I really don't think the ibook needs to go g4 anytime soon.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
I read somewhere the new iBook was going to 1GHZ on a g3 and that it would upgrade to g4 when when g5's come out.
Also, I am going to buy an iBook. However, do you think that the next update will include USB 2, which I really need?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by heov
I read somewhere the new iBook was going to 1GHZ on a g3 and that it would upgrade to g4 when when g5's come out.

don't happen to have a link to that, do you?

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
- Despite what people say, the G3 has to be in its last dying throes of existence since OSX+ and software such as FinalCut Pro etc. is all optimized for the G4.

know whats even funnier though?
FPC costs $999 how much does an ibook cost? $1,199(299??) for the low end. Doesnt that STRIKE something in your head? hrmm i wonder, FPC is not for people who use iBooks, its for TiBook owners numskull.

iBooks will go up to 1.5ghz G3 from IBM, and if IBM puts in VMX into the next G3 cores than who cares about a G4?

Anon

macrumors member
May 23, 2002
Both a faster Powerbook and a G4 iBook are waiting on the .13 micron G4. If they were ready, Apple would have used them in the just introduced PowerMacs.

benjaminpg

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
NO new laptops at Paris

I seriously doubt there will be new laptops in Paris. I think that new displays will be introduced, especially with the new rebates. It's also possible, apple will update iPhoto or iMovie. I'd say that that's the only software they'd update. It's also fairly likely they will announce the download of iSync and iCal. Another note is that every machine that has switched to a G4 processor, has had a case redesign. It seems fairly safe to assume that the iBook would also, when it gets upgraded to a G4.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: NO new laptops at Paris

Originally posted by benjaminpg
...It's also fairly likely they will announce the download of iSync and iCal...

I don't think that they'd do this, since these apps are only for 10.2, and all copies of 10.2 should have them... When Apple introduces a new iApp, then it may be available for download, but I don't think we'll see iCal and iSync up for download any time soon...

iGod

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
Actually, Apple is really trying to promote FCP to the low-end, "numskull" education user like me. I bought Final Cut Pro 3 for $199 through the Education Store (the full version is just $100 more for students), so it might not be all that implausible that an iBook user should want to use Final Cut Pro. Then again, I'm a numskull, so I'm probably mistaken. But certainly, if G3s went up to 1.5 GHz, then of course that would be just as desirable. I was just making a point that it was high time for some sort of large-ish processor change or update and I wanted to see how well my theories would hold up in a forum of people who clearly know their mac info. It might just be wishful thinking though, but from what I am hearing on mac sites (including this one) it seems as if the market is ready for a significant laptop update in the mid to high-end range and I'm sure Apple realizes that.
Also I apologize for being off by 1-2 months regarding the last laptop update, thanks for the correction.

Question: Historically, are rebates on computers or displays always followed by a new product release? How long after a rebate period has ended does it usually take for Apple to come out with a product if they do?

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
couldn't find the link, it was at another rumor site, but it said in January, Apple will have iBooks from 700-1000MHz on the g3 pocessor, and I believe the site said it talked to apple itself - said no laptop updates at all till January. I want to buy a good laptop now, and hope there still will be a 12.1 inch iBook at 1ghz g3 for 1600 bucks. I will wait till january- else I will buy something else. Does anyone think we will have a 1GHz g3 buy January for the iBook, or maybe a 800Mhz G4?

sinbushar

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Jersey
?

just realized...by NOT having upgrades every week, apple ensures that the value of their products will remain relatively high...it actually makes sense....

adel

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Apple has also stated lately that they are trying to get away from limiting their hardware releases to the Expos...meaning new hardware could come at any time in between or during the Expos. In other words, they don't want people trying to guess when new hardware is coming out.:rolleyes:

I'd really like to see some new displays, though...

multifinder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
I guess I can wait until January--I have a 400MHz G3 iMac that's starting to show its age the more I do with it (if I try to encode a half-hour of video, I have to kick it off before I go to sleep).

What kills me is looking at Sony's Vaio line and comparing with the iBook/PowerBook--1600x1200 resolution, 16" screens, chips at 2GHz+, the Vaio has it all, and costs less. Too bad I'd rather pull out my own teeth with a pliers than use Windows at home. I hope Apple can beat Motorola into at least getting the G3 in the iBook up to 1GHz--the Apple desktop vs laptop performance gap is getting alarming. I want a 1GHz G4 that won't melt the case in an iBook...but I'm afraid even that's too much to ask for January.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
that would be nice to see updates in september for the portables...but i doubt it

a g4 in the ibook would make final cut pro faster but the current g3, with its pumped up level two cache, seems to make some happy enough with photoshop

the makers of blair witch project used this software, with a name like axis, or something that sounds like that, which cost many thousands of dollars...and they used it on an imac

i use photoshop 5.5 on my rev a ibook and i admit the g4 is faster, but i do ok with what i have...i don't know how this ibook would do with photoshop 6 or 7 though ;)

i hope you are right about a new ibook and tibook in september:D

welcome to macrumors, igod

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: NO new laptops at Paris

Originally posted by G4scott

I don't think that they'd do this, since these apps are only for 10.2, and all copies of 10.2 should have them... When Apple introduces a new iApp, then it may be available for download, but I don't think we'll see iCal and iSync up for download any time soon...

actually steve jobs himself said that they wouldnt come with the OS. the OS was basically ready to ship, but the new iApps were definitely not going to be ready in time for GM. he said himself they would be a separate download available shortly after release.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
i would just like to see VMX on the next G3 chips, that would essentially "Make" them G4s with 4 stage pipelines :p

Also, the G3 Sahara is already at .13micron, you know what amazes me though? the ibook gets 5 hours of battery life, but the G3 only consumes 5 watts at 700mhz, now what i want to know is, does anyone sell replacment batteries for ibooks? i mean TiBooks get 6 hours with a 15.2" screen and 20watt processors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.