Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Re: Curious

Originally posted by Gus
Why do you need USB2? Just curious.

Gus

Presently the Iomega Zip 750 MB drive only runs on USB 2.

Until someone makes a Firewire to USB2 adapter, or we get Gigawire, external peripherals are becoming more expensive on the Mac. USB2 drives tend to be as much as $100 less than comparable Firewire peripherals. I'm having a hard time finding a 10 to 20 GB Firewire hard drive now that is new for under $100. About the only solution is USB2. Despite the fact that USB 2 slows down when multiple devices are on the bus, and USB 1 devices are on the bus, it would help to have a USB 2 bus anyway.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
You can use that 750mb Zip drive on a current mac without a USB 2.0 card tho. Just very slowly. USB 1.0 runs USB 2.0 devices at its theretical max (ie 12mbit/s).

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by topicolo
You can use that 750mb Zip drive on a current mac without a USB 2.0 card tho. Just very slowly. USB 1.0 runs USB 2.0 devices at its theretical max (ie 12mbit/s).

i remember when iomega had the "mighty" 250 MB zip and i told people they would get bigger, like all the other gear that has come out since then over 250 MB, and people didn't believe me

"why would anybody need over 250MB?"

"oh sorry, i forgot, maybe those stupid CD-RWs are for coasters":p

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>"oh sorry, i forgot, maybe those stupid CD-RWs are for coasters"

What? That tray the pops out is not for cola drinks?

kapouer

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2002
the reason

why there will be an ibook update is simply
because i want to buy one around mid-september.
there's just too slow and incoherent with the actual
family of products.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: the reason

Originally posted by kapouer
why there will be an ibook update is simply
because i want to buy one around mid-september.
there's just too slow and incoherent with the actual
family of products.

thus the real need for an ibook with a g4 processor...which i hope i can hold out long enough for...even if it takes until mwsf 2004

i may buy a used g4 450/768/36 for "super" cheap and that will hold me until i can get my poor person's altivec portable (g4 ibook) supercomputer for 1199 or less, hopefully when it's released;)

..and of course, this mythical consumer level supercomputer will be at least 1 ghz with 1 gig of ddr ram and sport a 64 mb ddr mobile video card from nvidia or ati (they exist on pc side right now)...but i will settle for a 32 mb ddr mobile video card...and the g4 ibook should have at least an ibm 72 gb hard drive, 2 usb ports, and 2 firewire ports...and weigh less than 4.5 lbs and have a combo drive as the entry level model...sound crazy? well, these stats will be entry level by mwsf 2004 as we will be pushing 1.5 ghz+ with a g5 in a tibook...he he

of course, by then, a supercomputer won't be a g4, but a g5

hippy

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2002
once again

One more try.....
Hi

I am itching to buy a new 800mhz powerbook, my current workhorse a 500mhz G3 pismo powerbook and has served me well, but is in desperate need of retirement. The question I ask is ...
a) Will I notice a significant perfomance increase, I am a professional flash developer and flash is pretty painful on the pismo!
b) What are the chances of apple coming up with the goods and delivering a 1ghz model in the next couple of months ?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.