Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

racemize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
just checked it out, looks like its in a better stage of development than apolloIM, but I imagine they will be close soon. still testing functionality...

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
As someone who has wanted native IM support from the beginning, I welcome all challengers to this arena. With each new entry, IMing on the phone will get better and better. Is this app part of installer.app yet?

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
it is in fact on installer.app now. Its nice, but missing key features like apollo. But as said, its farther along it appears.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
it is in fact on installer.app now. Its nice, but missing key features like apollo. But as said, its farther along it appears.

Great! I just installed it. It wouldn't allow me to connect for some reason (which has been a problem with Apollo from time to time), but I'm anxious to check this out.

dannyrube

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
used it. better then apollo

I like this app better then apollo. I have both on the phone. This has the chat bubbles a la SMS - only fault being they appear to be one size for both 1 line and 2 lines messages Has green (available), yellow(idle), red(away) dots next to the screen name to tell you their status. You can also set yourself as away with the button on the bottom.

I connected without a problem the 1st time i tried. The second time it wouldn't connect. don't know if this is a server issue or what. tried multiple times, still no luck.

racemize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
mobilechat appears to work during suspend mode... I've been testing it out. However, it makes a sound (even while the phone is on silent) instead of vibrating. Also doesn't have the red numbers indicating new messages yet. Slicker interface and operating suspend mode is nice, but its not quite what we want. Also does not support other type messaging (e.g., gtalk) yet.

racemize

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
o man, bad news for ipod listening and receiving a message. The sound fades out the music and then it doesn't restart unless you go into it and do it yourself...

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
New iChat (AIM) Clients for iPhone

Twenty08.com has released a beta version of MobileChat today -- a new AIM client for the iPhone. Features include:

- AIM Account Support
- IM Abilities
- Full Buddylist with Statuses
- Change status: Away & Online
- Suspend and stay online
- Sound notifications
- Popup Notifications

Meanwhile, the other native AIM client for the iPhone, Apollo IM, had a major update yesterday with a number of new features and fixes.

Both applications appear very usable at the moment. To install these native applications, we recommend using Installer.app which allows you to install and update iPhone native applications over Wifi or EDGE without any PC connectivity.

Article Link

sminman

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
So if I send an instant message to someone or receive one from someone, does it count at as a text message?

Or is it free?

Sam

.vin.

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
So if I send an instant message to someone or receive one from someone, does it count at as a text message?

Or is it free?

Sam

Nope, it's free. Well, it goes out of your data bytes, which, if you signed up with AT&T the right way and have an iPhone plan, is free.

HornetOSX

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
No Dot Mac

no dot Mac support on either app

Soon they both hope!!!

looks good other wise tho ......

I do wonder.. how does this affect battery life?

rachaface

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
i've only used one app on my phone (iToner), and I was wondering if this AIM app, as well as other apps on installer.app are "safe" apps, and by safe I mean that its not one of those super difficult hacks that could essentially turn your phone into a 600 dollar paperweight?

DeuceDeuce

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2007
San Dimas, CA
i've only used one app on my phone (iToner), and I was wondering if this AIM app, as well as other apps on installer.app are "safe" apps, and by safe I mean that its not one of those super difficult hacks that could essentially turn your phone into a 600 dollar paperweight?

Has anyone actually done that to their phone? That should answer your question. If you still are having trouble the answer is they are all safe. Ive messed with all those apps and not one has "bricked" my phone.

kimb

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Has anyone had a problem typing in the sn or pw??? its not letting me enter anything.

kingnimrod

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
tried to install it, but apptapp crashed my iPhone into recovery mode. Here's hoping Apple releases a "real" ichat for the iPhone with the software update tomorrow, along with cut/paste, voice-dialing, and money printing functionality.

mikeinternet

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006
Oaklnad, CA
i'm going to give apple til tomorrow's event to for them to officially upgrade the iphone software to include aim. otherwise this is getting installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.