Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
i'm going to give apple til tomorrow's event to for them to officially upgrade the iphone software to include aim. otherwise this is getting installed.

Don't hold your breath on that one, but I think it's safe to assume something iPhone related will come out of the announcement (software-wise).

If a chat application was released by Apple tomorrow, I'd do a restore and not rehack my iPhone. That's really the only reason I did it.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
i've only used one app on my phone (iToner), and I was wondering if this AIM app, as well as other apps on installer.app are "safe" apps, and by safe I mean that its not one of those super difficult hacks that could essentially turn your phone into a 600 dollar paperweight?

You cannot "brick" your iPhone doing soft mods like this. iTunes can always restore it.

tried to install it, but apptapp crashed my iPhone into recovery mode.

It does that on purpose. :rolleyes:

It's part of the jailbreaking process. It tells you this on the prompts...

kimb

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
my phone crashed as well. recovery begins now. :Curses Apple for not having iChat:

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
my phone crashed as well. recovery begins now. :Curses Apple for not having iChat:

Wow ... It's supposed to do that. It is on purpose.

That is when the jailbreak happens, it has to happen in recovery mode.

It is perfectly normal.

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
It continues to amaze me how many people are having problems with the "hacking" (not reallty hacking at all) process. It is very straight forward and VERY well documented. My advise would be to read any of the README's or installation instructions or even the prompts during the install process. You would be suprised what you might learn ;) These forums are also ripe with knowledge on the topic. Take 10 minutes before you go running to install something and I PROMISE you it will go smoother.

I have "hacked" and then upgraded each iPhone software upgrade (restore needed ect) and have never had a single issue.

As they say in the support business, RTFM! ;)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It continues to amaze me how many people are having problems with the "hacking" (not reallty hacking at all) process. It is very straight forward and VERY well documented. My advise would be to read any of the README's or installation instructions or even the prompts during the install process. You would be suprised what you might learn ;) These forums are also ripe with knowledge on the topic. Take 10 minutes before you go running to install something and I PROMISE you it will go smoother.

I have "hacked" and then upgraded each iPhone software upgrade (restore needed ect) and have never had a single issue.

As they say in the support business, RTFM! ;)

The thing about it that bugs me is that they seem to act like they know what they're talking about. They see text scrolling on the screen, oh it "crashed into recovery mode" ... yes, in the same sense that I crash into my car to drive to work every morning. :rolleyes:

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
.Mac on Apollo and MobileChat

I've tried my dotmac account (gazmac2@mac.com) on both apps and neither is able to get a connection. Apps for Apple devices that don't work with dotmac addresses strikes me as an issue that needs addressing!

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Not bad.

But what they don't mention when they say "Sound Notifications" is that you can't turn them off. Does not obey either the SMS sound preference or the silent mode

I can't have that buddlEEE BUDDLooo crap going on at work all day!

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I've tried my dotmac account (gazmac2@mac.com) on both apps and neither is able to get a connection. Apps for Apple devices that don't work with dotmac addresses strikes me as an issue that needs addressing!

They're AIM clients. :confused:

What's the big deal?

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
.Mac is AIM compatible

General -

iChat and dotmac accounts are compatible with AIM. I can login to AIM on the web with my dotmac account but not usinig the IPhone AIM clients.

It's not such a big deal however as I don't IM much, but it would be nice if I could get it to work.

Daiden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Chicago, IL
General -

iChat and dotmac accounts are compatible with AIM. I can login to AIM on the web with my dotmac account but not usinig the IPhone AIM clients.

It's not such a big deal however as I don't IM much, but it would be nice if I could get it to work.

Remember that these iPhone applications aren't AIM or iChat. They may support the protocols for AIM, but they aren't the same program.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
.Mac on ApolloIM and MobileChat

Remember that these iPhone applications aren't AIM or iChat. They may support the protocols for AIM, but they aren't the same program.

Thanks Daiden - that kind of explains it I suppose. I'll try connecting again when the next updates arrive.

Still don't understand why Apple didn't put the camera on the front of the phone (ruining the aesthetics of the form aside) and enable video capture (and iChat) so we could all do some serious web 2.0 video chating. Sure - it wouldn't work very well on that 2 and a half G Edge thing you have in the US, but on wifi it would be cool.

jasonnorm

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2007
Milford, MA
The camera is on the back of the phone so you can see what you are taking a picture of :). Also, EDGE would not be able to handle a video chat session so you would be limited to Wi-Fi. I do agree it would be cool, but I don't think it was feasible for the 1st gen iPhone.

There is sooo much complaining about FREE apps that people are graciously creating via open source that it is starting to tick me off. If you don't like it, build one yourself. Geez. We owe all of these folks a giant THANK YOU

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
Jasonnorm - I love free apps too

The camera is on the back of the phone so you can see what you are taking a picture of :). Also, EDGE would not be able to handle a video chat session so you would be limited to Wi-Fi. I do agree it would be cool, but I don't think it was feasible for the 1st gen iPhone.

There is sooo much complaining about FREE apps that people are graciously creating via open source that it is starting to tick me off. If you don't like it, build one yourself. Geez. We owe all of these folks a giant THANK YOU

Not complaining, I love installer.app and all the native stuff it brings - just didn't seem very mac-centric to leave us .mac members out. Camera back and front would have been nice.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
seriously these developers are doing all they can to develop apps. may not be mac centric, but you know what? it's apple that is refusing to give out an SDK to help the developers along and it's apple that is refusing to add BASIC features like MMS, IM, louder volume, game apps, etc.... stop complaining about the installer app and how it isnt mac centric. that's a stupid complaint.

gazmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2007
London, UK
.mac

seriously these developers are doing all they can to develop apps. may not be mac centric, but you know what? it's apple that is refusing to give out an SDK to help the developers along and it's apple that is refusing to add BASIC features like MMS, IM, louder volume, game apps, etc.... stop complaining about the installer app and how it isnt mac centric. that's a stupid complaint.

Fair point about Apple. BTW I wasn't complaining about installer.app. Merely making the point the IM clients don't work with .mac. PLlease don't get soooo defensive... and rude.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
i'm mainly mad at apple and frustrated with them after today. i mean, a $200 drop on the phone .. ringtones that i have to may 99 cents to make and i cant use my own, and a mobile music store that apple said isnt available for the iphone until later on, whenever that is.

i realize that all technology gets cheaper, but 2 friggin months after it came out and it gets cut by $200?

there are going to be lots of buyers that will be angry.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
For real? WTF. It ruins the look of the whole springboard......thats responsible of them.

lol...dont freak out, take a chill pill. Its only been updated once, give them a chance...jeeze :rolleyes:

P.S at least for now I found that ApolloIM is better and farther along from a development standpoint.

samstod

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2006
What we need a developer to do is create a server that works like Danger's proxy server for the Sidekick. Basically, you don't connect through AIM on your phone, you connect to the server on your phone. The server is what is actually running AIM. That way, if you get a call, lose signal, etc, you don't get disconnected and you don't miss your messages. Instead, when you regain connection, the server and your application sync up, and you get all your IMs.

Clearly that isn't an easy task, but (assuming there aren't any prohbitive patents, which there may be) it is the only way to get any instant messanger client to play nice with EDGE and I'm sure you could get people to pay a monthly fee for server usage. I'd pay atleast $5 a month, possibly more, for a really nice AIM client like the Sidekick line has.

chopper dave

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2007
Neither of these new clients work for me when installed with installer.app. ApolloIM crashes when I try to connect, and MobileChat just hangs. Every other online app works fine, and I can connect with web clients with no problems. I've tried on both the WiFi and Edge network connections.

Anyone else have this experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.