Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I noticed something while watching the WWDC 2004 keynote. On the dock of Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" the iChat icon has changed. It no longer shows the AOL/AIM figure. It just shows the blue bubble with the video icon (screenshot below) I think this might be because maybe the new iChat is not limited to just AIM. Maybe it will be compatible with Yahoo! or MSN.

I don't know why Steve Jobs wouldn't mention the ability to use iChat with AIM, Yahoo!, and MSN. Either I am completely wrong or Apple is still working with other companies to make this all happen.

What do you guys think?

ichat_wwdc04.jpg

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
it might just be a matter of Apple "running out" of the license to use AOL's "running man" logo.

but yeah, the multiple client possibility is also there, and one can only hope.

the other item *which I place higher on the wish list* is the ability to finally voice-chat with Windows AIM users.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Rod Rod said:
it might just be a matter of Apple "running out" of the license to use AOL's "running man" logo.

but yeah, the multiple client possibility is also there, and one can only hope.

the other item *which I place higher on the wish list* is the ability to finally voice-chat with Windows AIM users.

Hehe, yes first posting is fun. Anyway, yes I look forward to talking to some of my Windows friends, something I haven't been able to do since the old AIM 4.0 with the "Talk" feature.

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
Well the new iChat supports Jabber. At least according to the Tiger Server web page (Tiger Server includes a built-in iChat server based on Jabber). Therefore, iChat needs to support at least this - maybe it will support other formats in the future? Who knows. The only reason they are using Jabber right now is because it is open source.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I for one am glad that the new iChat will allows three way audio and video!!!
WOOHOO I needed that last week!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
DJY said:

Yes the ability to have multiple audio and video conversations really does kick! :D

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
LimeiBook86 said:
Yes the ability to have multiple audio and video conversations real does kick! :D

Yeah this is excellent. The only extra I would have liked was encryption option, even if for only 2 participants. No serious corporate type should be using video chat without a vpn or encryption. I hope Apple do put this as an option by the time Tiger roars.

Edit

OK, someone pointed out the server offers an encryption option. Beauty. Now hopefully they will also make it available for hoem Tiger owners with video.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
DJY said:

Actually, the picture they show is of 4 people total. Three remote plus you.

I noticed that they also have a server module so you don't have to use the AIM servers. That will be especially good for corporate users trying to keep people on track. :D

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
bousozoku said:
Actually, the picture they show is of 4 people total. Three remote plus you.

I noticed that they also have a server module so you don't have to use the AIM servers. That will be especially good for corporate users trying to keep people on track. :D

Oh so I guess you can video or audio chat over a LAN, that would be sweet. :)

ephramz

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
Talk to PC's

LimeiBook86 and Rod Rod,

you do know that iChat is supposed to work for video (and audio chat if the PC side initiates it) chat with AOL 5.5 on PC's since several months ago. So you should be able to talk to your PC friends already. Yeah, they do need to be on WinXP and I haven't gotten it to work yet, but there are people who have!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
ephramz said:
LimeiBook86 and Rod Rod,

you do know that iChat is supposed to work for video (and audio chat if the PC side initiates it) chat with AOL 5.5 on PC's since several months ago. So you should be able to talk to your PC friends already. Yeah, they do need to be on WinXP and I haven't gotten it to work yet, but there are people who have!

I have tried to chat with my PC friend via Audio only, that didn't seem to work. But, I can audio chat with my PC friends while in a video chat if the have a microphone. Well I'll keep trying...:)

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
ephramz, neither you nor I have gotten it to work. I doubt the veracity of the people who claimed it worked for them. it actually doesn't make a difference to me, but one of my friends who's a semi-switcher (PC guy who got a 12" PB at his job) said he'd commit to the Mac but for two things: easy voice-chatting with PC people and a simple drawing program (like MS Paint). so far he's 0 for 2.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
I really really want this multi client functionality. Everyone in europe seems to use msn rather than AOL but msn (and other multiclient programs) are so horrible compared with iChat.

I fear we won't see iChat supporting other protocols soon unless the protocol providers decide to stop development of their mac client and rely on Apple. We've just got a new msn so I doubt it, will help me.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I never have had problems video chatting with Windows users. Only with the Beta. What AOL hides from people is that the Windows side needs a patch to work, and if they don't have the patch it doesn't work.

I hope AIM supports h264 as well. And maybe we'll get video over dialup now too.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
7on said:
I never have had problems video chatting with Windows users. Only with the Beta. What AOL hides from people is that the Windows side needs a patch to work, and if they don't have the patch it doesn't work.

I hope AIM supports h264 as well. And maybe we'll get video over dialup now too.

has audio-only chatting between you (on a Mac) and a Windows AIM user ever worked for you? or does audio only work when you have video on?

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
adium would kick all ass if it had voice and video chat. tabbed chat's really are a godsend for removing clutter. im's all over the place are ridiculous. not to mention it looks so much better, is far more customizable, and supports multiple clients.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
AHDuke99 said:
the reason the icon is different there is cause steve has a new build that the developers got.

Yeah but on Mac OS X Tiger the icon looks like the old one from Panther. Obviously I think Jobs has a different version than the developers got.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
iChat does do video over Rendezvous

Nermal said:
I thought it already did this over Rendezvous?

Yes, it does. I use audio chat regularly over Rendezvous. (With other Mac iChat users.) It only works on the local subnet, though, so only small companies could use it this way. A large company would need an internal iChat server to allow for internal chatting. (Hence the addition of Jabber support, as it allows Rendezvous-style chat over different subnets.)

I have used video over Rendezvous only a couple times. Mostly because on my local network, we only have one video cam. (Not even an iSight, it's just a DV camcorder.) So I've only done one-way on my local net. I've been on another Rendezvous net with two cameras, though, and it worked great. (If you have a powerful enough computer on both ends, the video is better than you can get over the 'net, since it supports up to 2Mb/s video feeds.)

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I noticed the icon change too and posted about this in another topic. I also thought this may mean MSN/Yahoo, etc compatibility.

However, I'm sure it is just an AOL logo licencing issue or that it means they are adding Jabber support as already mentioned. I highly doubt Apple would go out and just start supporting MSN or whether Microsoft would let them.

Sigh.. It's a pity there isn't a universal chat language, like the internet IP system...

On the note of iChat 2.1/AIM 5.5 for Windows - if anyone has got audio-only to work PLEASE TELL ME HOW!!!! I'm been trying desperately, even with the recent new AIM patch to no avail. Even when I plug in our old Logitech webcam into the Dell (auto recognised by AIM and Win XP) I can't get it to work (no Mac drivers, plus it's not firewire). Maybe it's iChat that needs the shake-up. I couldn't even get audio-audio to work with another iChat user :( (both had mics turned on, audio icon visible - I think it was a firewall problem).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.