Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the second beta of iOS 17.5 that's available today, iPhone users located in the European Union are able to download apps directly from the websites of Apple app developers without going through the App Store or an alternative app marketplace.

Apple-EU-iOS-Changes-Orange-1.jpg

Since March, Apple has been working on support for downloading apps from websites, and the feature is finally ready for testing. Apple started letting developers offer their apps through alternative app marketplaces in the EU in iOS 17.4, but the website option adds a new method for acquiring apps.

App developers that want to offer iOS apps from their websites in the European Union need to meet specific criteria to ensure the safety of iPhone users. Apps must undergo Apple's Notarization process, and developers need to be a member of the Apple Developer Program for two continuous years or more.

Only apps that have had one million annual first installs or more on iOS in the EU in the prior year are eligible for download from a website. Developers that meet these terms will be able to use an API for web-based app downloads. Apps downloaded through the web using the API can be backed up, restored, and updated as standard apps can.

When an iPhone user in the EU visits a website to install an app, users will need to grant express permission for that developer to install apps to Settings. A system sheet will display the app name, developer name, app description, screenshots, and more.

Developers are only able to offer apps from their developer account, and are required to publish transparent data collection policies so users are aware of how data is collected and used. Apps distributed outside of the App Store need to provide customer support, refunds, and offer a way to manage apps.

While developers do not have to pay a cut of app sales to Apple for apps distributed through websites, there is a 0.50 euro Core Technology Fee for each annual install over one million in the past 12 months. The fee is waived for nonprofit organizations, accredited educational institutions, and government entities.

Downloading apps outside of the App Store is limited to iPhone users who are located in the European Union, and Apple has implemented these options to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act. The functionality is not available on the iPad, nor is it open to iPhone users in other countries.

Article Link: New iOS 17.5 Beta Lets EU iPhone Users Download Apps Directly From Websites

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm so not in a hurry to try this (iPhone only) feature...

...new iPad's on the other hand

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well, the Mac App Store has been around for 13 years, and it's been a pretty trash experience. So... hard disagree.
Yeah it's a trash experience because there's barely anything on it. If that was the only option for where the apps could be downloaded from, that would be different. The fact that you don't see that having all these different places to get Mac apps is the REASON the Mac App Store is a trash experience is funny. Having to go to multiple different places and put my payment info into multiple different places to get everything I need to use, when it COULD all be in one place...THAT is a pretty trash experience. The app fragmentation is honestly the worst part of macOS. Bringing it to iOS is a major downgrade.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

makitango

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Interesting. I sent a mail to the DMA telling them that I find it troublesome if Wikipedia would be charged that fee, and now non-profits are exempt from that, and they told me that they will take that into consideration. Seems like they actually listen to their citizens.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
well, good luck to all folks who bought an iOS device for their elderly loved ones b/c they were sure inexperienced people cannot be tricked into downloading counterfeit applications that may expose their data/steal their credentials.
Inexperienced users have been getting tricked into downloading apps that could expose their data, steal their credentials, and worse from Apple's App Store for years.

IllegitimateValor

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2023
I dream of a day when my pocket screen can connect to big screens and have only quantity-of-ports related limitations compared to computers that can run any software the user chooses or writes themselves.

Last edited:

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Inexperienced users have been getting tricked into downloading apps that could expose their data, steal their credentials, and worse from Apple's App Store for years.

This is honestly one of the most ridiculous and illogical arguments to use. It isn't the defense you think it is. No marketplace will be 100% issue free (it's not possible) but by pointing out that it already happens doesn't change the fact that opening it up will make it MORE common. If anything, you're making an argument AGAINST opening it up, because by opening it up...what is already happening will just become more common and with less possibility of being stopped. More stores = more attack vectors.

Last edited:

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Welcome to your security nightmare.
Your security nightmare perhaps. I take the time to research and vet software before I install it, and make sure I’m getting it from the developer or reputable source. I’ve never had a major issue, because I don’t install jank software on my computer.

If you find it that concerning, I suggest you continue to get all of your apps from the App Store, which these changes do not affect in the slightest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.