Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Just left my local Apple Store after having picked up the 11” IPP and Magic Keyboard (both in space black).

I have a few thoughts having played around with the various models in store.

OLED: this was hard to tell under the super-bright Apple Store lights, but it looked beautiful as expected. Will test more when I’m home.

Nano texture- The nano texture screen is nice. But there is a clear difference is clarity and colour, which is typical of matte displays. The screen has a lovely texture to touch, nicer in some ways than the regular glossy display. There is also a little resistance when using the pencil, giving it a slightly more paper-like feel. However the trade offs with clarity aren’t worth it for me, so I stuck with the regular screen.

Size: I’ve owned pretty much every iPad since the start. Since the M chips I’ve swung between using the 12.9” and the 11” model (sometimes both). I went together the 11” model this time as I have a 13” MacBook Air and wanted the 11” for journeys to and from work and wanted the extra portability. However the 13” model is noticeably lighter than before, and of course the Magic Keyboard has full sized keys and a much larger trackpad, which are nice. Ultimately I stuck with the 11”, as I wanted something with the footprint of the old 12” MacBook. Trackpad feels better btw, but the haptics aren’t as strong as on a regular MacBook.

Colours: the silver and white magic MK looks a lot nicer in person than in videos / images. However having owned a white Magic Keyboard before it would get stained by cleaning cloths etc in the same bag /other items. I also hated the way the keyboard brightness looked on the white keys. So I went with the space black. For those of you considering mixing colours- e.g a silver iPad with a space grey keyboard, when I tried this out it looked ok, but took away from the overall aesthetic imo.

Misc:

- For those who've asked, despite the black rubber gasket around the keyboard tray of the MK, the screen still touches flush with the aluminium palm rests of the keyboard. I assume this is by design and Apple don't think it is a problem from their testing.

- This is the first time I’ve purchased AppleCare for an iPad. It’s £25 in the uk to replace the OLED screen with AppleCare, and of course the Magic Keyboard and pencil are covered too. This makes it worth it imo.

Hopes this helps some of you out there 👍🏼

Last edited:

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Update: having returned home and tested the new OLED panel alongside the Mini-LED display on my M1 12.9”, there is no discernible difference at all between them watching the Dolby Vision HDR footage on YouTube etc. However, where I think the OLED will really shine is in darker environments (as there should be no blooming). I will test it later when its evening here.

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
A test you could do later is put notes in dark mode and type white text on it and serif a grey square is showing around the text

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Update: having returned home and tested the new OLED panel alongside the Mini-LED display on my M1 12.9”, there is no discernible difference at all between them watching the Dolby Vision HDR footage on YouTube etc. However, where I think the OLED will really shine is in darker environments (as there should be no blooming). I will test it later when its evening here.
Really - I would think the peak brightness would be much different. Have you tried that?

cygy2k

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2005
Apple care on an ipad is a waste unless you plan on throwing it down the stairs often.
You'll be the first one on here that complains about high repair costs after their standard warranty expires and something goes wrong.

Now, I've owned probably a dozen iPads, 20 iPhones, 8 MacBook Pros, and 5 or 6 AirPod Pros between me, my wife, and my kids. I also leave different devices at different places as I have Parkinson's and can't carry things all around. While I've never needed to actually use AppleCare, it sure is great not having to worry so much.

Yes, I've paid more for AppleCare together than the repair or replacement costs of any one of those devices, but that doesn't mean you don't benefit from insurance. You'll spend more on car insurance over the course of your life than the price of a vehicle and hopefully you never need to use it. But you're sure going to be happy you have it when something terrible happens.

In the end, it's just an opinion and buyer's choice like everything else.

Last edited:

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
Really - I would think the peak brightness would be much different. Have you tried that?
I didn’t notice much of a difference with peak brightness but will test again at some point 👍🏼

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland

Colours: the silver and white magic MK looks a lot nicer in person than in videos / images. However having owned a white Magic Keyboard before it would get stained by cleaning cloths etc in the same bag /other items. I also hated the way the keyboard brightness looked on the white keys. So I went with the space black. For those of you considering mixing colours- e.g a silver iPad with a space grey keyboard, when I tried this out it looked ok, but took away from the overall aesthetic imo.

Hopes this helps some of you out there 👍🏼

This is helpful as I took delivery today of the Air in Starlight w/ white MK and the Pro in Space Black w/ black M4 MK.

I really like the look of the white keyboard but veering towards the Pro so was contemplating switching out for a white M4 MK (and possibly the silver IPP for the complete asthetic). However have barely touched in the couple of hours since unboxing and it is getting marked already just setting it up on my dining table to compare side by side to decide which to keep.

At this price it is not like just getting a new folio case (which I usually buy a 3rd party) when it gets ugly dirty and I think a dirty white MK will look terrible. I know that I eat snacks with my fingers whilst surfing on ipad, touch my face with make up on, have my iPad out on kitchen counter for recipes whilst cooking etc. so I know it can't possibly stay clean!

Reactions: LucyLouie

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Is the 11" now light enough so that a mini user could switch to it without feeling too much discomfort, or is the weight difference still great? I can see the numbers in terms of grams but a lot depends on size, thickness and weight distribution.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Is the 11" now light enough so that a mini user could switch to it without feeling too much discomfort, or is the weight difference still great? I can see the numbers in terms of grams but a lot depends on size, thickness and weight distribution.
The 11” got only 4.7% lighter. I have a Samsung tablet with very similar size and weight, and it’s significantly different from an iPad mini, IMO.

Reactions: antiprotest

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
We’re back to sub-1 pound, which means it’s pretty similar to the iPad Air 2 (I believe the lightest full size iPad ever). Personally I think the new 11” pro is portable enough for 1 handed use all day, just like the mini clearly is

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
As is always the case with OLEDS ..
Dark environments is where it is unmatched

Well, tbh, Mini LED iPad Pros were awesome in dark environments too. Slight blooming, sure, but the picture was superb. I am still waiting on my new iPad, but I don't expect the jump in picture quality to be huge.

Reactions: glhaynes

mtulman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
I was also at the Apple Store a short time ago. The nano texture is definitely interesting, not sure how i liked it. I actually walked in thinking i was going to cancel my Best Buy preorder as i know for my purposes it’s not a gigantic upgrade. Having it in my hand and playing with the new MK, i was sold all over again.

Macintosh101

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
I have a Mini too. They feel like very different devices. Best thing is to try one out and see how you like it.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I was also at the Apple Store a short time ago. The nano texture is definitely interesting, not sure how i liked it. I actually walked in thinking i was going to cancel my Best Buy preorder as i know for my purposes it’s not a gigantic upgrade. Having it in my hand and playing with the new MK, i was sold all over again.
Unless you’re coming from the Stone Age, hard to experience a gigantic upgrade these days. Don’t get me wrong, I miss those days. 😉

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
I'm still waiting your report. You could also go into a closed bedroom, turn off the lights, and compare the two screens there.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
Sorry, I forgot to update you. Hugely noticed the difference with the OLED in the evening, and in a pitch black room. No blooming, blacks fully black etc.
Thanks for the update. So the OLED is better in the evening and in a dark room, but you noticed little to no improvement in other environments and settings?

Reactions: Cape Dave

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry, I forgot to update you. Hugely noticed the difference with the OLED in the evening, and in a pitch black room. No blooming, blacks fully black etc.
Can confirm. I use the Kindle app in dark mode at night and there is no blooming. My previous Pro had blooming like crazy. This screen is absolutely fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.