Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bk125

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2018
New York
My 11” M4 iPad Pro (silver) is pretty, and I’ve come around on the silver-and-white keyboard, not as tacky as it looked to me at first, but a few observations:
  • It is thin. However, it feels exactly as thick as my 10.5” iPad Pro because of the latter’s tapered edges. If you measure them, the 11” M4 Pro is of course thinner, but the square edges make the iPad feel thicker than it actually is and there’s no difference in the experience of holding it.
  • The Magic Keyboard alone weighs about as much as my 10.5” iPad Pro plus smart keyboard cover. This sucks. The Magic Keyboard plus iPad weigh more than my 2017 12” Macbook. It’s extremely dense. And why haven’t they slipped extra battery under the palm rests?
  • The OLED screen is really nice. It’s a good 15-20% better than an LCD screen.
  • Not sure what to make of the film-graininess of the display mentioned on another thread.
  • You could buy a nice couch for the price of the base model with keyboard and pencil.
  • Edit: one more—I tried an Apple Pencil on the nano-texture display in the store, and the feel of it on the glossy rim is almost identical to the feel on the nano-texture glass. If you’re looking for paper-like “tooth” for drawing, this isn’t it.

Last edited:
Reactions: klasma

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
This is helpful as I took delivery today of the Air in Starlight w/ white MK and the Pro in Space Black w/ black M4 MK.

I really like the look of the white keyboard but veering towards the Pro so was contemplating switching out for a white M4 MK (and possibly the silver IPP for the complete asthetic). However have barely touched in the couple of hours since unboxing and it is getting marked already just setting it up on my dining table to compare side by side to decide which to keep.

At this price it is not like just getting a new folio case (which I usually buy a 3rd party) when it gets ugly dirty and I think a dirty white MK will look terrible. I know that I eat snacks with my fingers whilst surfing on ipad, touch my face with make up on, have my iPad out on kitchen counter for recipes whilst cooking etc. so I know it can't possibly stay clean!
My white MK for my Air 5 is really not very dirty at all. It cleans up well too with just a damp rag. The only areas that have some faint stains are the bottom corner edges, and they almost wiped off. This is after a year of use.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
  • The Magic Keyboard alone weighs about as much as my 10.5” iPad Pro plus smart keyboard cover. This sucks. The Magic Keyboard plus iPad weigh more than my 2017 12” Macbook. It’s extremely dense. And why haven’t they slipped extra battery under the palm rests?
Cos with additional battery it would have been even more heavy.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
You cannot bend physics
Miniled has a better dark than the nano oled panel
So for those who needs close to perfect blacks standard tandem oled is the way to go

Reactions: G5isAlive

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Not even samsung tablets oled didn’t come close to blacks because of their inferior anti reflective coating

Reactions: G5isAlive

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I didn’t notice much of a difference with peak brightness but will test again at some point 👍🏼
I think the brightness (for the 13” OLED, compared to prior 12.9” model) is identical on HDR content (1600 nits peak, 1,000 fullscreen).

The difference is on SDR content: 1,000 nits on the OLED screen vs 600 nits on the prior model.

I only have 11” models here, and based on my comparison yesterday, my new 11” OLED (1,000 nits SDR) is substantially brighter on SDR content compared to my old M1 11” (600 nits SDR).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.