Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
i just can’t get excited for iPads anymore. I guess it’s cus im not a kid playing games on it. Phones are boring enough these days but iPads are next level boring. My air 2 lasted me a decade and i hope my M1 does as well. Bring on vision pro updates! Lol

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
from one point...going thinner everywhere makes the device too fragile
Well there have been rumors of a "foldable" iPad. :p I do usually carry my M1 iPad Pro 12.9" inserted into a folio, or Apple Keyboard Case. I'm not sure how safe that is? But popping the new iPad in and out a fully framed case might be a bit dangerous. For instance my Zugu Case requires a good bit of force to insert or extract. The Logitech Combo requires less force, but I still try to be as careful as I can.

image.jpeg

Apple's magnetic folio and keyboard mounting system requires no mounting our extraction force at all. But I'm not a fan for several reasons.

I do occasionally carry my mirrorless camera and lenses in camera bags. While they have thinly padded compartments for tablets or laptops, I think I'd be worried about the safety of the newer, thinner iPad fending off damage from the camera equipment.

I wonder how well AppleCare+ will be honored for bent/cracked new iPads? Time will tell.

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
When future data archeologists dig up all this stuff about bezels that we apparently constantly obsessed over, they will nod knowingly to each other and will understand even better our downfall.
You joke, but this is genuinely the kind of thing that would make me splash a couple of hundred more to get a Pro vs an Air, even though I’ve no need for the extra power. Knowing that I could have smaller bezels but have all this extra bezel getting in my way would really annoy me.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I hope this rumoured ‘more laptop-like’ magic KB turns out to be true. Using the iPP with the current MKB on my lap is awful. Wobbles to much and I’ve got to sit awkwardly due to the weight distribution.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
The Home-button iPads (except for the very first one) had even thinner bezels on the long edges. How did you hold those in portrait orientation?
Simple. I use it in landscape 99% of the time.

But seriously, you should check your facts. Home-button iPads had chunky bezels on all sides. Here's the iPad 4:

1920px-IPad_3.png

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Simple. I use it in landscape 99% of the time.

But seriously, you should check your facts. Home-button iPads had chunky bezels on all sides. Here's the iPad 4:

View attachment 2361175
Oh, I misremembered then. Was it the iPad Air that introduced the narrow bezels? Anyway, I’ve been using an iPad mini for many years, whose bezels are just below 6 millimeters.

Reactions: sleeptodream

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Hopefully does a better job at palm detection than the new iPhone pros. I never looked at old ones and thought “wow I wish that bezel was smaller”, but I find myself almost daily wishing that the new ones were a bit thicker to stop acidental taps on the side of the screen.

AriaAmaris

macrumors member
May 20, 2023
Thinner bezels on the iPad Pro isn’t needed. Here’s some ideas,

How about 2 USB ports?

Maybe allow the user to run MacOS.

Or this, how about allow the user to resize image thumbnails in the Files app?

Maybe create an eject tool for external drives so it’s less likely to corrupt the drive?

Perhaps allow multiple accounts?

Whatever they do I hope they don’t add the Dynamic Island. No, no, no!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.