Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmbarclay

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
Take all the rumors, divide by 5 and that’s what we will end up with.

This is all fun and I am enjoying it but we are being setup for a disappointment.

I hope I am wrong!

vyspirit

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2017
To be honest, thin screen bezels don't bring much functional value, but they do offer a much more visually appealing look. I've seen the Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra and the HUAWEI MatePad Pro with very thin screen bezels compared to the iPad Pro, and they look much more attractive and futuristic. Ultimately, many people use their iPads with keyboards most of the time, so a screen with thin bezels wouldn't be an issue.

Rockhouse

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Oh, I misremembered then. Was it the iPad Air that introduced the narrow bezels? Anyway, I’ve been using an iPad mini for many years, whose bezels are just below 6 millimeters.
It was the 2017 Pro that had the thin bezels on the long sides. Definitely thinner than the later Pro iPads. The 2017 Pro was my favorite iPad to hold. Lightweight and much more comfortable with the chamfered edges. Ihope the new iPads get the iPhone 15 treatment with slightly rounded edges.

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpeg
    IMG_2463.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: NoelWalker

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will be good to have smaller bezels. Should help in keeping overall dimensions of the iPad same after an increase in screen size.

Richu

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2021

The next-generation iPad Pro models will feature thinner bezels around the screen compared to previous models, according to a rumor shared today by a previously-accurate leaker known as "Instant Digital" on Chinese social media platform Weibo.

M3-iPad-Feature-3.jpg

The leaker claimed that the next 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will have 7.12mm and 7.08mm bezels, respectively, when excluding the metal edges of the devices. If these measurements are accurate, the bezels would be around 10% to 15% thinner than on previous iPad Pro models released between 2018 and 2022.

Other key new features rumored for the next iPad Pro models include Apple's latest M3 chip, a thinner enclosure, a landscape front camera, rear camera design tweaks, and potentially MagSafe wireless charging. New accessories are also expected, including an updated Magic Keyboard with a partly-aluminum enclosure and an updated Apple Pencil.

"Instant Digital" has a mostly-accurate track record with Apple rumors over the past year. The account was correct about frosted rear glass on the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus, the yellow color option for the iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus, and more, but it incorrectly said the iPad Air would receive a hardware update last year.

The new iPad Pro models should be announced in late March or early April, according to Ross Young, CEO of Display Supply Chain Consultants. Tuesday, March 26 has been specifically rumored as a potential iPad Pro announcement date.

Apple is also expected to update the 10.9-inch iPad Air, and release an all-new 12.9-inch iPad Air.

Article Link: New iPad Pro Rumored to Feature Thinner Bezels Than Previous Models
Reading about updates in mature product categories is about as exciting as watching grass grow

Reactions: dalestrauss

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Reading about updates in mature product categories is about as exciting as watching grass grow
It's interesting news maybe 1/10 times, isn't it. At this point, how do they make the iPad Pro or iPhone Pro better? Ten or fifteen years ago we could all have written a list of hardware improvements we'd have liked, and now's it's hard to think of much at all. That's why half this board (me included) has been reduced to moaning about SSD size on all products (and RAM on Macs), because those are artificially created limitations by Apple, and the only obvious downsides of Apple devices.

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
Thinner bezels on the iPad Pro isn’t needed. Here’s some ideas,

How about 2 USB ports?

Maybe allow the user to run MacOS.

Or this, how about allow the user to resize image thumbnails in the Files app?

Maybe create an eject tool for external drives so it’s less likely to corrupt the drive?

Perhaps allow multiple accounts?

Whatever they do I hope they don’t add the Dynamic Island. No, no, no!
SIX YESES! Of course, Apple focuses on thinner body & bezels over REAL improvements...even then, use that 0.8mm thickness reduction to PACK IN MORE BATTERY into the current thickness!

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022

How about 2 USB ports?

Maybe create an eject tool for external drives so it’s less likely to corrupt the drive?

Six yeses from me too! All of those are significant, while the bezel difference is meaningless to me.

Reactions: AriaAmaris

Granville

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2015
Nobody is asking for these lame "upgrades"
All we want is more batterylife. If it means making the device 2-3mm, SO ****IN BE IT!
you named it PRO, now make it useable for professionals

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
No thanks… The bezels on my M1 Pro 11 are already on the small side. I would it want them any smaller. What would be nice is making the new iPads lighter!

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️

How about 2 USB ports?

Yeah great design ideas. I don’t think Apple will implement much of any of that, which is why I’ll keep my M1 12.9 for a long time. I just don’t think the Pro is worth it anymore. The Mini is much more interesting for me now. Pocketable, powerful, great design, Apple Pencil 2 support. Just waiting for the 7 with upgraded processor to make the move.

Reactions: jazz1

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
There are people (such as myself) who think bezels are a good thing:

Reactions: koelsh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.